Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
BC30cal Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Fellow Campfire Members;
I thought that I would put up a couple photos of the Model 70 I just finished for a customer.

I'm not sure which grade of Boyd's blank he purchased, but the photos unfortunately don't do the grain and color justice.

It is a push feed in .300WM and the work done included instaling a Decelerator pad, epoxy/pillar bedding, installing the ebony fore-end tip and grip cap including the maple spacers that he wanted.

He said I could do whatever checkering pattern I wanted, so I made up something I thought would match the lines of the stock. The finish is 12 coats of Tru-Oil.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Thanks for looking and Happy Easter to you all.

Regards,
Dwayne

The most important stuff in life isn't "stuff"

GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Nicely done.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
very nice, i like that alot.

what do you charge for a checkering job like that ?
i am in need of checkering service's.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Nice looking rifle.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Fantastic! nicely done!

I can't spell... Deal with it...
IC B2

T
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
T
Looks great Dwayne.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by splattermatic
very nice, i like that alot.

what do you charge for a checkering job like that ?

+1

It�s a magazine not a clip......

Advice is seldom welcome, and those who need it the most, like it the least.�
- Lord Chesterfield. 1750
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
beautiful wood and workmanship....I won't blame you for the white spacers or angled forend tip. wink

Proudly representing oil companies, defense contractors, and firearms manufacturers since 1980. Because merchants of death need lawyers, too.
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
I'm with Steve - beautiful stock, nice checkering . . . minus the foreend tip/spacers.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Dwayne,
That looks great. How much work was necessary as far as inletting is concerned? I've always been scared of ordering a Boyd's stock because I think I'd be lost on the inletting. I can bed and finish, but the checkering would be impossible. Obviously you've done it a time or two, where'd you pick that up?

Eric

Originally Posted by SBTCO
your flippant remarks which you so adeptly sling
IC B3

BC30cal Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Bluedreaux;
Thanks to you and the other members for the kind words, I appreciate them.

The inletting on the Boyd's blank was closer on the action than the last Richard's Microfit that I did and for that matter closer than a couple older Bell and Carlson Carbelites that I've run across. Certainly it was workable with the recoil lug and action screw hole spacing done very well on this one.

The barrel channel was a bit too generous even though this was a magnum barrel contour. I had to lay in a filler strip on one side to have the gap be acceptable.

There was a little bit of fitting required to make the floor plate and trigger guard all work properly, but that was simply setting them both further in and then thinning the stock so the floor plate functioned correctly.

Unless the owner asks for something else, I bed the entire length of the action and about 2�" of the barrel when I bed rifles, as well as bedding the floor plate and trigger guard on the other side. I will usually glue in aluminum sleeves as well to prevent any future crushing, but don't generally have any metal to metal contact.

Checkering is something I started to fool with about 18 years back, doing mainly our own rifles until about 6 years ago. I use Dem-Bart tools mostly, along with 2�X reading glasses and then an opti-visor for the fine work, in conjunction with good directional lighting.

I don't use a cradle, because I've found that as the grain changes it is easier to cut in the opposite direction at times, so I work at a desk covered with a soft towel.

I've also found that I can only checker for an hour and a half at most and then I start to make mistakes.

Anyway Eric, hopefully that was some use to you and thanks again for the kind words. All the best to you and your fine family this Easter.

Regards,
Dwayne

The most important stuff in life isn't "stuff"

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
And to your family as well Dwayne. I bedded my son's rifle last night. I'm still at the point that the smell of acra-glass scares me. No disasters yet...yet...

Originally Posted by SBTCO
your flippant remarks which you so adeptly sling
S
sjr Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
S
Great work and very nice checkering not work bad for a old Sask farm boy

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Not a fan of wood, but am a big fan of craftmanship. Nice looking stick.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

510 members (1OntarioJim, 007FJ, 1Longbow, 1moredeer, 160user, 10Glocks, 43 invisible), 2,304 guests, and 1,134 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,395
Posts18,469,994
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.