cell phone
Buck folder
Leatherman tool
.38 ammo pouch

In my pockets I carry:

S&W M638 airweight .38
.38's in Speed Strip
Keys and wallet

I got a good pair of suspenders and that allows me to uncinch my belt enough to breathe...

Last edited by wildhobbybobby; 04/09/10.

Life is like a purple antelope on a field of tuna fish...
GB1

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T

I'll second the recommendation of a good belt as a necessary foundation for a good holster.

- Tom

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
buy better leather, such as Sam Andrews makes. Buy a better belt as well.

Sam......

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by bankcardrep1
I've said it before and I'll say it again...I'm green to this handgun business.

I just got my carry permit. So I put my HP on my belt and start carrying around the house to get a feel for it...it's heavy is my first thought.

I've been shooting it alot. Carrying to range in a breifcase. This is the first time I have holstered it in any sort of utilitarian manner.

I like the HP, but it is my first handgun.

I intend to carry full time.

I noticed Sigs and GLocks and about everything in 40 and 9 mm weigh nearly the same loaded.

Is it like a saddle or a new pair of shoes...
In a proper holster, with a proper belt, the High Power is one of the most comfortable guns to carry concealed. Not quite as good as a lightweight commander, but close. You need a belt designed for carry, and you need a Milt Sparks VM II IWB holster.

E
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
E
I'm with Kevin, Redneck and the others on this. Come to think of it, I have some holsters that are older than my children as well. Anybody remember the Lawerence Holsters ? E

IC B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Have a Lawrence for a single action, but the belt doesn't fit anymore.

Last edited by Jayhawker; 04/09/10.

"A free people (claim) their rights as derived from the laws of nature, and not as the gift of their chief magistrate."
--Thomas Jefferson, Rights of British America, 1774
A
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A
I don't like holsters and they are never concealable to any extent,the bad guys can spot them..

The only way to carry a HP is in your belt on the back of the hip butt facing forward. It will conceal better that way than any other way I have found, and I carried one for years like that but under a coat or jacket, even with a golf shirt or Charro shirt it conceals pretty well...

Summer carry is tough with any big gun and not easy with the smallest of guns..unless you stick a 25 ACP or Derringer in your pants pocket and that's not much insurance, but then again its better than nothing.

That is why I have always preferred the S&W Chief Special round butt airweight, I can stick it in my pants pockets or in the waist band with just the butt barely sticking out and with a stretch band waist golf shirt on it won't show at all. Wrap the butt with a couple of rubber bands and it won't slip out or fall out in a fight.

It also is a pretty fair gun for defense with the WW 158 gr. Simi wad cutter Hollow points..They will expand even at 2 inch velocity btw...Another effective short range load is the 148 gr. hollow base wadcutter inverted as Shootist suggested, but the WW load works a bit better in the stuff I shot them into..

Last edited by atkinson; 04/09/10.
T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by atkinson
I don't like holsters and they are never concealable to any extent,the bad guys can spot them..
Have to call BS on that. You just haven't tried a good IWB holster, or you're not dressing right for it.

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
Cross Breed holsters are flat out awesome. You can use them with or without a belt. I wear mine on my scrubs with no belt when I have patients in the bad part of town.

B
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
B
Originally Posted by VAnimrod
Milt Sparks Versa-Max or Summer Special for a holster.

That'll cure a lot of ills.

22 Week wait time for MIlt SParks...your kidding.

What is like a Milt Sparks, but something I can buy in the next couple of days?

I have a hard time believing that it's good for your business to run it in this manner...a 6 month backlog for years. Great job security but I would think a competitor would eat your lunch.

Steve ~ Asheville, NC
IC B3

V
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
V
Originally Posted by bankcardrep1
Milt Sparks Versa-Max or Summer Special for a holster.

That'll cure a lot of ills.

22 Week wait time for MIlt SParks...your kidding.

What is like a Milt Sparks, but something I can buy in the next couple of days?

I have a hard time believing that it's good for your business to run it in this manner...a 6 month backlog for years. Great job security but I would think a competitor would eat your lunch.

No competitor has, in years.

O
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
O
22 weeks is the wait for custom stuff; Brownells keeps Milt Sparks summer specials in stock for the 1911, they might for the Hi-Power as well.

Custom holsters aren't like most products--people who order them generally don't need them right away. I order El Paso Saddlery holsters for all my fine guns and the wait is anywhere from 6-12 weeks. In the meantime I shoot my other guns.

That's one reason among many to have multiple guns: while you're waiting on parts or accessories for one, you've got others to keep you occupied grin

V
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
V
If you can't wait for the Milt Sparks, then try these (good, but not great... though MUCH better than what you already have):

http://www.usgalco.com/HolsterPG3.asp?ProductID=889&GunID=23

http://www.usgalco.com/HolsterPG3.asp?ProductID=3595&GunID=23

And, add one of the better ones of these:

http://www.usgalco.com/HolsterP2.asp

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I have one of the summer comfort holsters for my Kahr P9.

Great holster and very comfortable for all day wear!

Yes, I would buy it again.

Virgil B.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
If you want a really great, and comfortable holster and you're unwilling to wait for the Milt Sparks, give Mitch Rosen a call and see how long it will take to get an Express Line ARG. If that's too long, then call El Paso Saddlry and order up a C-Force.

B
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
B
This is amazing. All the different holsters. The cost. The wait. Maybe I should have bought the holster first?! I figued, buy the gun, run down to dicks and buy a holster...done. NOT that way.

Anybody using Shoulder Holsters. Seems like a good idea. About half the time I wear a dress shirt tucked in sometimes with or without jacket. Ripping through a shirt at chest level maybe better than the belt level???

Steve ~ Asheville, NC
V
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
V
Shoulder holsters are a ROYAL PITA.

E
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
E
I am also a big fan of the inside the waistband carry w/o any holster. As a rule, mine go over my strong side hip, canted to the rear, and butt forward. Hides better than anything else ever has. Even better than the small, 5 shot, 2 inch revolvers.
Can be drawn with either hand. Can be shifted when sitting for more comfort. Can be reversed to a forward cant, butt to rear FBI position if desired. Above all, with a decent belt it stays put if you must run or fight.
Heck, I can even shift it to the small of the back if I want.
The only drawback I've seen is they allow the gun to get wet in hot weather. You must wipe them down once or twice a day. No big deal.
A belt holster, especially those with belt loops in two separated places is more comfortable to carry assuming one has a proper belt for carring a heavy gun. But no way does it hide the gun any where nearly as well.
Make no mistake, if you "get made," that means the wrong people see the gun "print" as they call it, you can find yourself looking down the bussiness end of some rookie cop's gun, or you can get blind sided by the bad guys. Trust me, neither are fun. E

A
Ak1 Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
A
I have one old Milt Sparks Executive Companion for my Hi Power. It is a good holster. My favorites are made by Kramer Holster's and I have a half dozen of their holsters. The IWB #2 and #3 are good. I also have 3 of their Belt Scabboards for regular carry. All the holsters are made from horse hide. Kramers stuff is not cheap, it is first class, excellent quality and retains a hand gun very well. They are made for your weapon. Save your money and get one. It will last for many years.

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Shoulder holsters are a ROYAL PITA.
+1 I've been experimenting with concealed carry methods since 1980. Tried them all. Settled on Milt Sparks VM II IWB long ago, and stuck with it. Once you discover perfection, you don't need to keep looking around. But if you can't wait for one, the Crossbreed Super Tuck looks like a good alternative: Click Here

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

599 members (17CalFan, 10Glocks, 12344mag, 160user, 10gaugemag, 007FJ, 72 invisible), 2,326 guests, and 1,490 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,678
Posts18,493,850
Members73,977
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.