Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by KevinGibson
I have hunted and even fought black bears with handguns, and my biggest fight was with an 8" .357 revolver, and it did the trick. Didn't work fast enough for me, but it worked.

Come on, Kevin, let's hear it. You dropped this teaser here and then never came back. If you have an experience that can shed light on this discussion, I am sure that all here would love to hear all about it.

Max Prasac

Semper Fidelis

The Gun Digest Book of Hunting Revolvers:
https://youtu.be/zKJbjjPaNUE

Bovine Bullet Test
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mmtZky8T7-k&t=35s

Gun Digest TV's Modern Shooter:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nGo-KMpXPpA&t=7s
GB1

J
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Sleepy
Campfire 'Bwana
J
Originally Posted by KevinGibson

I have hunted and even fought black bears with handguns, and my biggest fight was with an 8" .357 revolver, and it did the trick. Didn't work fast enough for me, but it worked.

That is why we do not recomend the 357

I got banned on another web site for a debate that happened on this site. That's a first
JOG Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by roy67
To all black bear hunters. Which would you carry as a backup ,ruger 357 single six or a turaus judge with 45cl

That depends on where I'm hunting black bears. Outside of grizzly areas I probably wouldn't carry a back-up at all. So, outside of grizzly areas I'd be completely comfortable with a .357 Mag with the right bullet.

Forgive me my nonsense, as I also forgive the nonsense of those that think they talk sense.
Robert Frost
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
I don't carry a back up while hunting black bears, or anything else...

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by sgt217

I do, as you never know when something may go really wrong.

Max Prasac

Semper Fidelis

Bovine Bullet Test

IC B2

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Im with Withworth on this one. I carry a back up everywhere, even when im not hunting. Never know when the crap will hit the fan.
If I might need something with a little more punch, I carry a Ruger Alaskan in 44m. What a sweet little shooter, and a great woods packin gun.

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Originally Posted by Whitworth1
Originally Posted by sgt217

I do, as you never know when something may go really wrong.

To each his own...But you have a better chance of falling in a creek and dying of hypothermia than you do of ever needing to use a backup handgun...I am more than comfortable enough in my chances with a bow or a rifle. I seldom carry a cell phone while hunting either, and will not carry a locator..Anyway, again, to each his own...

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
sgt217, you do of course realize that you are in the handgun forum......LOL!

Let's just say that you are out in the field with your favorite scoped rifle, and you slip and fall in the aforementioned creek and your scope gets smashed on a rock......I sure am glad that I have my back-up handgun on my belt......Why? Because I can still hunt, or stave off any unfriendly predators of the two or four legged variety. JMHO.

Max Prasac

Semper Fidelis

Bovine Bullet Test

J
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Sleepy
Campfire 'Bwana
J

While working on a Moose kill my rifle was proped against a tree out of reach when the Bear on the left came in. Glad I had my revolver in a shoulder holster with me, it worked

[Linked Image]

I got banned on another web site for a debate that happened on this site. That's a first
E
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
E
I saw the film made of the entire incident. The gun was a 4 inch .357. E

IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Doesn't Phil Shoemaker's daughter carry a .357 handgun as a bear backup? Think I read that in a Rifle or Handloader article.

Gunnery, gunnery, gunnery.
Hit the target, all else is twaddle!
J
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Sleepy
Campfire 'Bwana
J
Originally Posted by Eremicus
I saw the film made of the entire incident. The gun was a 4 inch .357. E

Never said it wasn't

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Originally Posted by Whitworth1
sgt217, you do of course realize that you are in the handgun forum......LOL!

Let's just say that you are out in the field with your favorite scoped rifle, and you slip and fall in the aforementioned creek and your scope gets smashed on a rock......I sure am glad that I have my back-up handgun on my belt......Why? Because I can still hunt, or stave off any unfriendly predators of the two or four legged variety. JMHO.

Like I said, opinions vary...You have a good day...

I
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I
Jim, Phil Shoemakers daughter Tia has carried a 357 maggie for many years for bear protection, they always used Norma, full metal jacketed ammo, something that would penetrate like crazy yet was controllable to a young lady.
The article was in Handloader magazine.

Dick

E
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
E
That's funny, I've had my rifle's scope hit lots of hard ground complete with rocks. Never broken one yet. Only had some rings loosen up once, shifting the zero about three inches left at 100 yds.
If you are really worried about breaking a scope, you should carry a spare in your pack and use detachable mounts. E

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Eremicus
That's funny, I've had my rifle's scope hit lots of hard ground complete with rocks. Never broken one yet. Only had some rings loosen up once, shifting the zero about three inches left at 100 yds.
If you are really worried about breaking a scope, you should carry a spare in your pack and use detachable mounts. E

Drop it hard enough and it will break -- nothing funny about it really. It was a hypothetical set of circumstances. Haven't hunted with a scoped rifle in years -- really only hunt with handguns nowadays. So, if your zero changes that's not a good situation either as your rifle is pretty much useless until re-sighted.

Really no logical way to rationalize not carrying a back-up revolver.

Last edited by Whitworth1; 04/10/10.

Max Prasac

Semper Fidelis

Bovine Bullet Test

S
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
S
I got interested in getting some enlightenment about the smashed scope scenario. First, even with a smashed scope wouldn't a rifle that can still shoot be about as good as an iron-sighted revolver as a back-up?

When you discuss back-up are you talking about a spare weapon so you can keep on chasing down a bear, or a close-range save-your-buckets omigawd protection weapon in case the bear is chasing you down?

In the latter case I'd think the more powerful smashed scope rifle might be accurate enough to do the job, but I don't know.

I do some scatter-gunning for birds in bear/cougar/wild pig country and pack along a Super Blackhawk because I don't trust the scatter-gun to do a good protection job even at close range on a bear, but maybe it would. I've sure gotten different opinions about that but some were from the people who were hoping I'd buy the Super Blackhawk.

Maybe some of you can tell me if a tight-choked 12 gauge turkey gun with 3.5" magnum loads of #6 would be effective protection against a bear. I mean at close range if he were coming at me.

I do feel comfortable with the .44 mag in a chest holster and I know I could shoot a bear if he had my foot in his mouth and wasn't shaking me so hard he'd spoil my aim.

I'd sure be interested in experiences and data.

A
Ak1 Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
A
All my Model 70's have good iron sights on them. I would not carry a hand gun if I was black bear hunting, I'm to lazy. Still, if you got a hand gun you like to carry and it gives you peace of mind then strap it on.

J
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Sleepy
Campfire 'Bwana
J
Originally Posted by sometimesimiss
I got interested in getting some enlightenment about the smashed scope scenario. First, even with a smashed scope wouldn't a rifle that can still shoot be about as good as an iron-sighted revolver as a back-up?

When you discuss back-up are you talking about a spare weapon so you can keep on chasing down a bear, or a close-range save-your-buckets omigawd protection weapon in case the bear is chasing you down?

In the latter case I'd think the more powerful smashed scope rifle might be accurate enough to do the job, but I don't know.

I do some scatter-gunning for birds in bear/cougar/wild pig country and pack along a Super Blackhawk because I don't trust the scatter-gun to do a good protection job even at close range on a bear, but maybe it would. I've sure gotten different opinions about that but some were from the people who were hoping I'd buy the Super Blackhawk.

Maybe some of you can tell me if a tight-choked 12 gauge turkey gun with 3.5" magnum loads of #6 would be effective protection against a bear. I mean at close range if he were coming at me.

I do feel comfortable with the .44 mag in a chest holster and I know I could shoot a bear if he had my foot in his mouth and wasn't shaking me so hard he'd spoil my aim.

I'd sure be interested in experiences and data.

I would most certainly rather have a handgun with iron sights than a rifle with a smash scope any day. Also if the brush is realy thick I'd rather have my handgun since it is more momeuveralble in that situation.

Did you see my post above where the revolver came in very handy?

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Let me say this,I don't know alot about shotguns,but I have had to crawl in on wounded bear where a shotgun was used.Of the experiences I have had anything other than a quality made slug ain't good.From my experience if you can comfortably carry a handgun while bird hunting,by all means do so.If as you say the bear has your foot in his mouth getting a shot off with that handgun is going to be easier than manuvering a shotgun.Just my 2 cents worth.

"How vain it is to sit down to write when you have not stood up to live"
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

585 members (007FJ, 06hunter59, 10gaugemag, 1234, 10Glocks, 1941USMC, 50 invisible), 2,265 guests, and 1,137 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,647
Posts18,493,344
Members73,977
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.