24hourcampfire.com
24hourcampfire.com
-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
OP Offline
im noticing with my RCBS seating dies that im getting different seating deapths with the same bullit ( speer GS in 270wsm ) i know that there is some variences in bullit lengths in a box of bullits ,, what i am seeing with the seating die is that its seating close to the tip of the bullit and not on the ogive,, this is where i think the problem is,,, is there a seating stem out there that seats from the ogive and not the tip ??

the mighty oak was once a little nut,
who held its ground,,
GB1

D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
You want to be seating from the ogive not the tip,RCBS seats from the ogive as do all others....it is more than likely your bullets that are varying in length

My dog is a member of the "Turd Like Clan"

Covert Trail Cameras are JUNK

3 Time Dinkathon Champion #DinkGOAT

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
If the bullet tip is contacting the seating plug try deepening it a couple thousandths with a small drill. The major brand seaters are designed with the intent to seat off the ogive but some of the new "tipped" bullets in my experience will contact some seating plugs. None of the different die brands will however seat off the ogive at the point of rifling contact so if this is what you`re after it isn`t out there that I know of. The seaters contact about mid-point between that point on the bullet and the tip.
If you`re measuring the cartridge OAL from base to bullet tip there will be a variance due to the difference in bullet lgt. A comparator is needed to verify the length to ogive is consistent.

I must confess, I was born at a very early age. --Groucho Marx

Patriotism is supporting your country all the time and your government when they deserve it. --Mark Twain
A
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
A
Sometimes the ogive shape is changed and that changes the point of contact which then in turn changes the seating depth and OAL.

All bullet manufacruters have and do make changes, and do not advertise the fact, so you need to watch out for it. The cannelures will also vary from time to time as to the driving bands.

JW

When truth is ignored, it does not change an untruth from remaining a lie.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

565 members (1minute, 1234, 1badf350, 007FJ, 06hunter59, 10Glocks, 61 invisible), 2,442 guests, and 1,240 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,562
Posts18,491,792
Members73,972
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.