Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
M
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
M
I have a chance to buy a Savage 1917 .32 automatic* pistol. It is in decent shape for the age, but probably not a primo collector's item: has its blue except on sharp corners, all markings are clear, some tiny rust spots that would probably turn to brown smooth spots if massaged with Kroil and bronze wool; black "plastic" grips have some scratches but no chips or cracks. Bore has a few tiny pits but is really very nice.

I want it BUT:

Is it common for a 1917 to be only caliber marked "7.65mm"? (Somehow I expected to see ".32/7.65mm" or some mention of .32 cal.).

Should an original clip have some Savage markings? Any markings? This one has none.

Is a front sight fairly easy to fabricate and attach? This gun is missing its front sight and I've been told that they are just not available. Looks like it is held on with a slot and a pin that is integral to the sight. I think I could make one, but would it stay on with epoxy? (I don't like to silver solder on thin old parts).

Is $250 plus tax a decent price? I think I can get the shop down to that from their present $295 by waving cash; they've had this for quite a while. (Price gouging on used guns is one of the few thriving firearms industries in CA....).

Any thoughts, experience would be greatly appreciated. I don't have the serial number, but could get it if useful.

Mike Armstrong

* YES, I KNOW it's really SEMI-automatic! I tire of political correctness that assumes I'm a moron, tho. I've called 'em "automatics" for at least 60 of my 66 years, and don't intend to stop now.

GB1

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
The short answer to your post is; at $250 the gun is a fairly priced shooter given your description. The front sight is a problem. Not easy to find and replace. Good luck.

M
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
M
Thanks! Anybody else actually tried to replace that front sight?

S
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
S
The price is fair (magazine and grips would bring $100+). The magazines are not marked as 'Savage' but compare it closely to pictures of original magazines to make sure you are not getting a reproduction. Sights are mounted with a pin driven from inside the slide (pin is not integral). Full slides come up on the auctions occasionally.

Savage called them 'automatics' when they sold them. I figure everyone that is worth discussing it with will know what you mean...

M
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
M
Good to know the construction of the front sight, Savage Pistols. That makes sense and MIGHT make it easier to make a front sight. I'll have to look around to see what the original sight looked like. If it's like the 1907/10 I've seen, it is pretty much useless as a sighting device, but I'd want one anyway; gun looks busted without it.

These guns were clearly meant for pocket carry and up-close-and-personal use, in spite of all those French and Portugese and US police holsters for them and the ads that seem to tout them as long-range ordnance. The sights are pretty much a vestige. For a "hammer gun," the 1917 seems to have a very clean profile for pocket carry.

IC B2

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
http://www.vintagepistols.com/1907/index.html

And the sight ain't got much shape to it:

[Linked Image]

M
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
M
Thanks, Calhoun! The 1917 looks a lot like the earlier models' sights.

Those rounded sights were sure popular back in the day (look at contemporary Colt Army Special and S&W Military and Police cop guns) but not great for actual sighting of the type we do now. I guess they were really just for gunfights--quick and dirty.

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
I replaced the missing sight on a 1907 maybe 20 years ago by making a steel replacement just like an original, then silver soldered it in place. Swapped it for a Colt Woodsman- one my better gun deals.

"You can lead a man to logic, but you cannot make him think." Joe Harz
"Always certain, often right." Keith McCafferty

Moderated by  Rick99, RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

263 members (222Sako, 10gaugemag, 1lessdog, 12344mag, 1badf350, 160user, 35 invisible), 1,742 guests, and 1,005 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,980
Posts18,499,605
Members73,984
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.