Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Have had it since childhood. I find that I can turn it off so I cant hear it kinda like male pattern deafness when driving and cant hear your wife with your right ear.

When I am extremely fatigued it comes on with a vengence.

Also, as others have noted background noise can make hearing very difficult.

GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by RockyRaab

The most recent event like that was six weeks ago at a wedding reception. Small room, lots of people all shouting to be heard above all the other people shouting, loud music and a few adult beverages. I got physically unable to remain and had to leave. Dizziness, nausea, violent headache, inability to understand speech, sensitivity to light - the whole shebang.

RockyRaab,

Obviously I'm not a doctor, but the symptoms you're descibing sounds just like something I used to suffer from. Cluster headaches. Similar to migranes but very infrequent. I'd go six months or so give or take without a headache, then WHAM, I'd get a series of headaches over week or so period of time and then they were gone, until months later. The last one I had about 17 years ago was the worst I ever experienced. I was absolutely paralized with extreme pain along with all the symptoms you described. I should have gone to the hospital. After it ended I never had another one.

Just a FWIW.

fish head

A
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A
Guess I am lucky, all I have got from shooting is a good deal of hearing loss, I'll take it and run..my quiter world is not all that bad btw...

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Ears were ringing badly while I was reading this.

I ran an out board boat all weekend that probably aggravated the tinnitus..

I took some vitamins and added B12, Niacin and Ginko Biloba and the ringing was toned down significantly. Seems that as soon as I got over the flushed feeling from the B vitamins it reduced the noise sensation I was getting.

Hope this wasn't just a placebo effect but I'll try this again. So thanks for the suggestions.

"When you disarm the people, you commence to offend them and show that you distrust them either through cowardice or lack of confidence, and both of these opinions generate hatred." Niccolo Machiavelli
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I am sorry. I can offer only sympathy. I am very happy, that I have not yet a tinnitus by hearing damage.

I had a pinched nerve for about two weeks from cramps in the shoulders that afforded me a like noise in the ear.

It drove me nuts. I am very thankful, we figured out what it was and were able to treat it.

That let me to think, though and to promote amongst my students and clients hearing protection.

I by no means want to add insult to injury, pray believe. I felt this thread, unfortunately, such a strong advocacy for HP, that I felt compelled to comment.

Member of the Merry Band of turdlike People.

IC B2

N
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
N
I can remember being able to hear the wind blow through the leaves, mice and moles and shrews burrowing around while sitting at the base of an oak tree...

I am the NorthEast WoodsBeast!

"System version 1.3, divorced"
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I hear you. And no pun intended.

Member of the Merry Band of turdlike People.

Campfire Outfitter
Online Confused
Campfire Outfitter
I suppose I miss a whole lot in the woods deer hunting.

GOA
P
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
P

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
After, specially shooting a lot of claybirds without hearing protection in my younger days, I now pay the price. Hearing is not so good as before and had tinnitus (but luckily tinnitus is gone now). My recommendation to avoid it is to use, in my case Peltor active hearing protection products. I use them always when hunting or shooting. They are really one of the most important things I always carry with me and use.
For tinnitus chronicus there is no cure as far as I know.

IC B3

O
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
O
God..,

Just saw a doctor about this a month ago. Basically, he said,"sorry about your luck." He gave me a sample of something and said he'd be shocked if it worked but to let him know if it did. It didn't.

He also said he could almost tell how big a man's yard was by the amount of hearing loss. Meaning, lawnmowers trash your hearing, more you run'em the more you loose.

I wear hearing protectors cutting the grass, running a chain saw,anything loud. Too little, too late. That said, I'm going to a Jimmy Buffet concert next month . . . that should drowned it out for a while crazy

O

Too old to suffer fools
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

I developed tinnitus late last year and I'm 60. Tinnitus along with "eye floaters" which I have too is common but exists In vastly varying degrees in folks, from just barely noticeable to having been the cause of suicide. Both are age-related.

I would just say to any younger readers here to spend the $$ for quality hearing protection now if you are not already doing it. Old guys too

B
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
B
Ringing in the ears? I hear 10,000 crickets constantly, just try to keep my mind occupied with other stuff. High frequency hearing loss caused me to leave a law enforcement career years before I had planned--too much gunfire and sirens they said. Ball ammo in a 1911 from the time I was 15 or 16 did not help.

Rocky's list of contributing factors is spot on. Been wearing hearing aids for 15 or 20 yrs. They help but I still have trouble understanding women. Is that a problem?<grin>

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
I have been suffering with ringing in the ears and migraines. About a month ago I quit drinking coffee and the noise in my ears is much easier to tolerate. The headaches have lessened a lot. I drank alot of coffee and I love the stuff but I feel like a new man so I ain't drinking it no more. Hope this helps someone. My hearing loss came from a 22 hornet pistol we shoot with no ear protection. That thing could make your ears bleed.

1 Thessalonians 4:11-12
O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
A few here have alluded to it indirectly, but tinnitus can be treated with considerable success using clinical hypnosis. If you pursue this, go to a highly qualified and experienced person. You may be able to get a referral in your area from the American Society of Clinical Hypnosis website.

https://postimg.cc/xXjW1cqx/81efa4c5

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Soli Deo Gloria

democrats ARE the plague.

N
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
N
I drink a lot of coffee. Never noted it before, but paid attention today. 2 cups, tinnitus worse. I know I actually feel better without the coffee, except for the headache I get for a day. It ain't migraine bad, had those too, but it ain't minor either.

I am the NorthEast WoodsBeast!

"System version 1.3, divorced"
D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
Originally Posted by cmg
I am sorry. I can offer only sympathy. I am very happy, that I have not yet a tinnitus by hearing damage.

I had a pinched nerve for about two weeks from cramps in the shoulders that afforded me a like noise in the ear.

It drove me nuts. I am very thankful, we figured out what it was and were able to treat it.

That let me to think, though and to promote amongst my students and clients hearing protection.

I by no means want to add insult to injury, pray believe. I felt this thread, unfortunately, such a strong advocacy for HP, that I felt compelled to comment.

I agree with the hearing protection and always use it now, but things were different when I started shooting. Hearing protection back then consisted of a cotton ball or an empty cartridge case in your ear. Muffs came years later.

And I agree with your sig line. I don't want coke or ice near my whiskey. Whiskey doesn't stop the ringing in my ears but it makes me not care.

He who joyfully marches in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would suffice.

- Albert Einstein
H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
No tips on this.Gonna have to live with it.

Its all right to be white!!
Stupidity left unattended will run rampant
Don't argue with stupid people, They will drag you down to their level and then win by experience
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Add nicotine to the list of items that cause temporary increases in tinnitus. Essentially, anything that causes the blood to thin can increase tinnitus. People who for years were free of any problems report an onset of tinnitus after being on Coumadin, Plavix, etc. for a while.

I'm an audioprosthologist and deal with this problem on a daily basis. The only practical solution, and not an infallible one at that, is hearing aids. There are a few tinnitus "maskers" out there which look like a hearing aid, but technically don't function as one. Considering that 90% of the cases of tinnitus are related to hearing loss, the aids are the better way to go.

Tinnitus can be a horrible, debilitating thing for some people. I sympathize with those that have severe cases.

Please don't fall for any of the miracle cures and gimmicks out there. Trust me, if anyone had a cure for tinnutus the world would beat a path to his/her door without any advertising.

"The whole problem with the world is that fools & fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubt" Bertrand Russell

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I think Rum helps...

Come on America,
Athletes and actors are not heroes, only soldiers, airmen,marines and sailors get that respect�and let's add firemen and LEO's

Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

593 members (10Glocks, 12344mag, 10gaugeman, 1234, 160user, 10ring1, 56 invisible), 2,153 guests, and 1,063 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,563
Posts18,531,649
Members74,039
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.