Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
264guy Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
It's been several years, but I would like to get back into reloading for my rifles again. What is the cheapest way for me to get back into it and still make some quality ammo. I am not too concerned about the speed of my reloading process, but would like to build some quality ammo. What are your suggestions? Would a Lee Loader and a quality scale work ok? I used to have one as a teenager but then moved on to an RCBS press which was lost during hurricane Katrina. Thanks for your suggestions.

HR IC

S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
Look for reloading kits on sale from Midway,midsouth,ect. Then get ready to spend a few hundred more on reloading tools that the kit does not include {dies,tumbler,ect} and components like bullets,brass,primers,ect.

RCBS will not produce better quality ammo than Lee equipment. Quality ammo comes from you buying quality components meaning Lupua or Norma brass,Barnes/Nosler bullets,ect.

Basically it all depends how much your willing to spend to get started.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
If I went with the Lee, I would definately consider the "Classic". I haven't used one, but it looks to be a good press.

D
DMB Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
Originally Posted by slg888
Look for reloading kits on sale from Midway,midsouth,ect. Then get ready to spend a few hundred more on reloading tools that the kit does not include {dies,tumbler,ect} and components like bullets,brass,primers,ect.

RCBS will not produce better quality ammo than Lee equipment. Quality ammo comes from you buying quality components meaning Lupua or Norma brass,Barnes/Nosler bullets,ect.

Basically it all depends how much your willing to spend to get started.

Mucho good advice here...

Don Buckbee

JPFO
NRA Benefactor Member
NSSA Life Member

264guy Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
Any recommendations on kits? I'd like to keep this as inexpensive as possible. Are the Lee Loaders out of the question for accurate ammo?

IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Hit the garage sale circuit if you live in a moderatly populated area.

Broncos are officially the worst team in the nation this year.
B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
I know guys that have been using Lee equipment for years and they shoot just as well as most of the guys with the expensive stuff.

Mike

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I still use a Lee press, and Lee powder measure, but I've added an RCBS digital scale to the operation, in addition to a powder trickler. So, $250 would have you up and running with a Lee kit, die set, digital scale and powder trickler.

"For some unfortunates, poisoned by city sidewalks ... the horn of the hunter never winds at all" Robert Ruark, The Horn of the Hunter

D
DMB Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
Originally Posted by 264guy
Any recommendations on kits? I'd like to keep this as inexpensive as possible. Are the Lee Loaders out of the question for accurate ammo?

I've bought a couple of the Lee kits for friends who wanted to get into loading. They do work, and are inexpensive. But, I must say I've never used any of their presses. I based my purchases on what good things others had to say about them.
I can't see how you could possibly go wrong with a Lee Kit.

Don Buckbee

JPFO
NRA Benefactor Member
NSSA Life Member

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
264guy:MidwayUSA has the Lee Press Kit with everything to help get you started for about $110.00+/-. You might want to up-grade to a better scale tho. Maybe look at the RCBS 10-10, thats a very good scale. Hope this helps. Tom

IC B3

O
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
O
You probably won't do better than the Lee Anniversary reloading kit. Midway has them and they've been on sale recently. They're widely available. Everything you need to start except dies. You can put together good ammunition with it. Buy accessories, etc., as you need and can afford to.

Last edited by OldRooster; 04/16/10.
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
I think you get your money's worth with Lee items. I have the 4 hole turret and it works fine for me.

Have Gun, Will Travel. The more dust on the trail, the thicker the soup.
Life Member: NRA & VFW & Six Napoleons
264guy Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
Thanks for the advice.

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
I started out as cheaply as I could under the advice of a veteran of reloading. His words was buy a good scale and caliper and save your money elsewhere. Got a used press for $35. Bit the bullet so to speak and bought a new 1010 scale for about $100. Also got a new stainless dial caliper for about $15. Bought used dies at a local gun shop. Then added small pieces as I could afford. Within a few years I had more stuff than any 3 guys should have (according to my war department anyway). I still use the 1010 and the caliper to this day. Not the fastest or the newest but my handloads have killed alot of critters of all sizes and haven't had one fail yet.

An armed member in a country is a citizen, an unarmed member is a subject.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I'd start out with an RCBS kit but then again, I'm biased.
Bear in Fairbanks

"Unless you're the lead dog, the scenery never changes."
Amazingly, I've lived long enough to see a President who is worse than Carter.
And finally,
Gun control means using two hands.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

549 members (10gaugeman, 1234, 219DW, 160user, 22kHornet, 222Sako, 60 invisible), 12,223 guests, and 1,055 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,195,252
Posts18,544,465
Members74,060
Most Online21,066
May 26th, 2024

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.