-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I have a GB mini hatchet and use it all the time..It weighs less than a pound and it rides in my pack when hunting, 4 Wheeler in the off season. I split pelvis bones with it on my deer. I don't break/slice bones with my knives.. The Mini GB would be a great survival tool to have along should you need to make shelter,gather wood.

GB1

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Originally Posted by Dancing Bear
For elk, I carry a 1lb Estwing. I keep it as sharp as I can manage. I use a folding saw, 4in S30V Gerber FB Drop Point and a Tinker too, depending on what I am trying to get done.

For field dressing I use it to skin, split the pelvis, split the ribs and chop off the neck. Chop really isn't the right word. I never chop with it. I baton it through the neck bones.

I quarter the animal with it also batoning it down the backbone.

Easy to clean up too.

How do you baton with a hatchet? I've got mental images of you tossing it spinning into the air overhead and catching it behind your back, while high-stepping it down a street in front of a band. Help me out here.

I saw a movie where only the military and the police had guns. It was called Schindler's List.
C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
"Baton" is french for "whack with a stick".

T
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
T
"Frappe' avec un baton" would be a bit more correct.

Last edited by toltecgriz; 04/05/10.

"Be sure you're right. Then go ahead." Fess Parker as Davy Crockett
B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Thanks. Like "beat on".
I kind of figured the band would scare game away... grin

I saw a movie where only the military and the police had guns. It was called Schindler's List.
IC B2

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
I sharpened my hatchet the other day, and about 2 minutes later cut myself.

Don't think I'd try to catch it if it was twirling through the air, no matter how good the band was. smile

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
I usually carry a small Wetterlings axe in my pack. Its true that a small axe can be dangerous, but so can other tools. I don't think you can replace the versatility of a small axe for a hunting, survival, and general purpose usage with just a knife alone.

Campfire Oracle
Online Happy
Campfire Oracle
Chris probably runs with scissors, too.

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
My Indian name is "Running Bare"...

Campfire Oracle
Online Happy
Campfire Oracle
Regards to Little White Dove. wink

--Pat Parelli

--ironbender
IC B3

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
My brother is "runs with scissors", and people get us confused all the time. (It don't take much.)

But neither of us take any crap from a guy named "Sells shoes to horses". smile

Campfire Oracle
Online Happy
Campfire Oracle
Originally Posted by cwh2
My brother is "runs with scissors", and people get us confused all the time. (It don't take much.)

But neither of us take any crap from a guy named "Sells shoes to horses". smile

Close. close friends have been known to say whore shoer.

--Pat Parelli

--ironbender
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
The GB is ultra nice as a skinner - and I like the Wetterling too. Have one of both for some strange reason. The GB is definitely the nicer of the two but the Wetterling is very capable and a good all around hunting axe.

What you think about, you do ... what you do, you become.
In a nation where anything goes ... eventually, everything will. We're almost there.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Anyone use a skatchet? We used one in Alaska when we scored a double on moose. Here's a photo of my brother cutting some brush so we could roll one of the moose over to do the other side.
[Linked Image]

The skatchet has no handle, but there's a hole in one end that is threaded. You just cut a limb and force-thread it into the hole. On one end there's a hatchet blade and on the other end there's a hammer head and nail puller slot. Keep that sharp and you can also zip open the body cavity on an animal. Make the blade sharp enough and you can use it as a skinning knife. Here's another photo close up (bottom tool):
[Linked Image]

We didn't use the skatchet on the animals. We used only a knife, and a saw to cut the skullplate. A hatchet or axe is not a necessity when field dressing.

Steve

"I was a deerhunter long before I was a man." ~Gene Wensel's Come November (2000)
"A vote is like a rifle; its usefulness depends upon the character of the user." ~Theodore Roosevelt
C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
never seen a use for an axe on animals just on trees...have used Gerbers over the yrs. you hone them sharp they get it done. when the meat gets home then a saw is used on the brisket, ribs and rump bone. chainsaw...now that is funny! ha.

Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
iam alway looking for the full fatchet that have a hammer head you can shrpen the to razor sharpness and they stay that way for a good long time i use then to skin also ues you can get hurt with one but i dont know how anyone can cut a femoral artery on a glancing blow if you are dresses but my grandpa did cut 4 toes off with a glancing bolw using a double bit axe and he is who taught me how to sharpen an axe and hatchet

Campfire Oracle
Online Happy
Campfire Oracle
Punctuation is an art.

--Pat Parelli

--ironbender
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

563 members (2500HD, 22250rem, 1minute, 204guy, 17CalFan, 222ND, 62 invisible), 2,275 guests, and 1,408 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,938
Posts18,480,042
Members73,954
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.