Print Thread
Hop To
S
shootem Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
S
Considering one in 9mm for wife's concealed carry purse. Like the size, manual safety and double strike capability for her. Also like the trigger itself for what it is. She does very well with my G17 and I believe this will transfer to the Pro. Yeah I know about the Smiths, Kahrs, Rugers, etc but this is what we're researching for now.

What are the real life pros and cons?? Thanks for relating any personal experiences you may have.

“When Tyranny becomes Law, Rebellion becomes Duty”

Colossians 3:17 (New King James Version)
"And whatever you do in word or deed, do all in the name of the Lord Jesus, giving thanks to God the Father through Him."
GB1

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
If she does well with your G17, go with a Glock. My wife did well with my Glock, but tried an early Millenium and never was as good with it. Seems like the trigger reset distance was a lot longer than a Glock which can pose problems if you are used to the short reset, but overall wasn't a that bad. Disassembly/reassembly was a little on the awkward side as well. Seems like holster selection may have been somewhat limited also.

D
D
I've had 2 PT-111's. A second gen and a third gen. No issue with either. The third gen (the current model) has a better trigger than the second gen. The trigger is SA with a DA second strike. The trigger on my PT-145 (same gun different caliber) has .5 takeup and .125 reset. The weights are 6.5 SA and 7.1 DA average as checked on a Lyman digital trigger gauge.

Disassembly/assembly was awkward at first, as JasonB mentioned. It became easier with time.

I would have her handle it and dry fire it to see if it suits her.
Dallas Jack

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
The trigger on the 3rd gen Millennium Pro's is very good, I'm betting she would shoot well with it. The Taurus is a good pistol and a good choice.

S
shootem Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
S
Thanks guys. Had heard some statements about older models with feed problems, etc, and bad customer service. Glad that is not the case here. The Glock 26 is still a possibility, but for reaching into and withdrawing from a concealed purse compartment under duress I really like the idea of the manual safety. Also as mentioned the trigger for the type pistol it is is impressive. We'll probably lay the money down and take our chances at the range. Am still considering the .40 but not sure about the extra recoil and weight. Thanks for the input and welcome more.

"And whatever you do in word or deed, do all in the name of the Lord Jesus, giving thanks to God the Father through Him."
IC B2

K
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
K
Originally Posted by KevinGibson
The trigger on the 3rd gen Millennium Pro's is very good, I'm betting she would shoot well with it. The Taurus is a good pistol and a good choice.

+1

my 9mm is a sure joy to shoot, and I like it over the Kahr CW9 and the Glock.

The trigger on the Millennium Pro is simply fantastic to say the least. Mine has never had a jam, never.

I would choose my Millennium Pro over the Glock anyday due to accuracy and trigger...the trigger will spoil you. I don't think that your wife would like the Kahr CW9 due to it's heavy long trigger pull, it is a very compact accurate pistol, smaller than the Millennium Pro. You may want to have her handle a Kahr CW9 just for grins...it does come at a substantial higher price tag. Prices have gone up a little, I paid $329 for the Millennium Pro and $495 for the Kahr CW9mm, new.

I don't think that I would get your wife involved with a safety on a pistol, it would probably get her killed if she ever had to defend herself in a split second life/death situation.

Good luck!

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
I've got a PT145. It hasn't malfunctioned at all, ever, in about 200 rounds. I love the trigger; the length and subsequent safety of a DA pull, but the weight and crispness of an SA trigger when it contacts the sear.

They're good guns, and I agree about the manual safety. They're not going to be any harder than a Glock to shoot, certainly.

Mine hits what I shoot at, works every time, and is quite light. 10+1 rounds of .45 ACP is nice, too, for if I get a CCP in the future. There are quite a few holsters, and GOOD ones that I've seen for it, so I wouldn't worry about that.

As for double strike capability... Options are nice, but if my gun goes click, I'm gonna tap/rack/ready drill. Just sayin'...

S
shootem Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
S
How's the recoil on your .45?

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
It's not bad -as- you're shooting it; about the same as my C9. More than my 1911. However, if you shoot a box of ammo, you can tell your hands are a bit sore by the end. A set of Hogue grips could help, but I like keeping the gun slim, and the grip texture is fantastic to me.

Overall; not bad at all, GREAT for how short the barrel is. I bet I could put the mag into center mass at 7 yards rapid-fire, but I cannot confirm that.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

558 members (06hunter59, 1minute, 10gaugemag, 160user, 1234, 222Sako, 68 invisible), 2,305 guests, and 1,273 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,790
Posts18,496,085
Members73,977
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.