Hop To
S
SteveS Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
S
Question for you guys--

I've looked at about 6 or 7 99's over the last wk. When I've checked to see if the ser. #'s all match (receiver, stock and buttplate), I've come across 3 that have "FP" and usually 3 digits after the FP on the stock and buttplate (both the same #) but that doesn't match the six digit serial # on the receiver. They didn't have the usual tang cracks either---kind of unusual on a well used gun.(Most of them were well used but not quite rats--a few were guns that came in from Canada too.
Anyone know where the "FPXXX" came from? Could it mean "Factory Part" if someone replaced the stock with a new factory Savage stock back in the day and the stock came with a matching buttplate?
The stocks certainly looked original other than the FP business--they were all of EG's from the early 40's to mid-fifties, cut checkering and all.
Any thoughts on this?

Last edited by SteveS; 04/19/10.
GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
sometime in the early 50s tehy stopped putting the serial number on the forearm, butt plate, and butt stock... the marks you are seeing are assembly marks...interesting that they were all marked FP... the marks are all over the place with a mix of letters and numbers... does not appear to be any set pattern to them.

The mark is also on the lower tang on the left side, if you take the stock off the gun.

Cheers

Andrew
S
SteveS Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
S
Weird--I had a 1953 that had the serial # on the butt plate and stock and not the FP business.

I'll check a few more out, but not sure I'll be buying any of them--looking for something a little better that the "almost rats"

Can anyone else chime in?

L
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
L
SteveS, Ya ,your going to wear out every buttplate screw on every savage 99 in the southern part of the state!! If your looking for a shooter i wouldn't bother checking, and if your looking for collector guns your going to have to pay more then $400 or $500. I don't know what the obsession with matching parts on a shooter is. Don

Last edited by Loggah; 04/19/10.
S
SteveS Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
S
Loggah--wellll--you're right I suppose--still, just kinda getting back in to this as haven't bought a 99 in almost 2 years. Guess I should say I'm more inclined to go with as nice a gun as I can get, and still shoot it. Just don't get much enjoyment out of closet queens--always have the urge to pull the trigger on them.
Hard to tell you exactly what I want or will settle for without writing a book, but will break the piggy bank for the right gun. Short and simple, I don't need everything to be perfect and LNIB, but don't want to have "whatsit" either. Just depends on what turns up
PS--thanks for the heads up--I promise I won't wear out the good ones on you!

Last edited by SteveS; 04/19/10.
IC B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Loggah
SteveS, Ya ,your going to wear out every buttplate screw on every savage 99 in the southern part of the state!! If your looking for a shooter i wouldn't bother checking, and if your looking for collector guns your going to have to pay more then $400 or $500. I don't know what the obsession with matching parts on a shooter is. Don

Amen, haven't heard much wiser than this in a while! (other than maybe the freight train and gravel road) wink

Blair

S
SteveS Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
S
OK, OK, I get the message grin

Guess the OCD kicked in a little bit!

Moderated by  Rick99, RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

572 members (204guy, 12344mag, 160user, 1beaver_shooter, 1badf350, 1234, 59 invisible), 2,409 guests, and 1,234 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,863
Posts18,517,866
Members74,020
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.