Print Thread
Hop To
R
RS308MX Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
R
Did any of you guys hear of an 11 foot 1 inch Sturgeon being caught in Lake of the Woods, Ontario? I received an email from a friend that said it was caught 2 weeks ago. I weighed over 1,000 lbs and had a 56" girth. I just can't believe it. There is a picture with the email but I can't seem to get it posted here. Has anyone heard of this?

Fall seven times, stand up eight.
GB1

N
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
N
http://www.ifallsdailyjournal.com/news/opinion-columns/editors-desk-too-good-be-true-again-104

The photo first showed up in 2006 on a number of Web sites. The Hoax-Slayer Web site says the photo is authentic, but the sturgeon � a white, not a lake, as is common in Borderland � was caught on the Fraser River, near Chilliwack, British Columbia.

By the way, the record lake sturgeon for Minnesota weighed 94.4 pounds, measured 70 inches with a 26.5 inch girth, and was caught on the Kettle River in Pine County on Sept. 5, 1994.

Just a reminder: While email and internet technology provides wonderful resources, it also allows people to stretch the truth � and in this case, to a little over 11 feet.

"Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passion, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence". John Adams

"A dishonest man can always be trusted to be dishonest". Captain Jack Sparrow
N
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
N
Yeah, what he said.

grin

Last time I got that e-mail the sturgeon was caught in the "Missouri River, North Dakota"

that fish sure gets around.

Something clever here.

R
RS308MX Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
R
Thanks, I didn't think it was real but wanted another opinion.

Fall seven times, stand up eight.
U
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
U
also important to note (from the same link):

"The information accompanying the photo also raised a few eyebrows among some viewers on the Web site. For example, the information says the fish took more than six and a half hours and only four dozen beers for the four guys taking turns at reeling it in. Several comments on the Web site wondered why it would take Canadians just four dozen beers over a period of more than six and a half hours. Apparently there is the belief that six hours of reeling would have required many more bottles of the sudsy stuff for our friends north of the border.

that should set off the BS detectors straight away, eh? (grin)

IC B2

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
I am pretty sure the Ontario record lake sturgeon, which was netted, weighed either 305 or 310 pounds and was caught in Lake Erie. I have seen a photo of it and it was much longer than a man is tall.

I think there used to be some really big ones in Lake St. Clair as well.

I wonder if they will start to get really big by eating zebra mussels. There are alot more nutrients in the Great Lakes today than their used to be and I would think much of it must now be tried up in zebra mussels and being bottom feeders the sturgeon may eat them.

P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
Originally Posted by RS308MX
I weighed over 1,000 lbs and had a 56" girth. I just can't believe it. There is a picture with the email but I can't seem to get it posted here.

Please. No pictures.

Guns are like guitars - you can never have too many.
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Here's one from Lake Erie, around the late 40's. Caught by my family's fishing business, out of Erie. At least it's a Lake Sturgeon. I think we got the last one(over 6', if I remember correctly) around 1962.[Linked Image]

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
This past Saturday, I was boating on the Suwanee River, and twice we saw large Sturgeon jumping.
Dang things get pretty big down here, some hitting 9 feet in length, and weighing over 200 pounds.

Sam......

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
I've seen some pretty large ones, both on Lake St Croix, Lake Winnebogshish ( up by Walker) and on Lake of the Woods...

Have also seen some pretty big ones on the Mississippi...

A funny side story..
In the early 90s I was taking my daughters down a float trip in my canoe down the Mississippi, way north of Mpls, but below St Cloud..

It was a hot day, so I suggested for the girls to jump into the water and float near the canoe to cool off.. Just as they were getting ready to jump overboard into the water, and a large Lake Sturgeon surfaced right next to the canoe, within less than 2 feet from the gunnel..

It was probably just checking out what was floating by...

however all three of my daughters turn absolutely white, and the look of shock on their faces was priceless...

I told them that the fish wouldn't hurt them.. but I couldn't get them out of the canoe until we stopped at the pull out point... and then they wouldn't even step in Ankle Deep water..

That was the last time they would even go down the Mississippi in the Canoe...refused every offer dad made to go with him on a float down the river...

"Minus the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the Country" Marion Barry, Mayor of Wash DC

“Owning guns is not a right. If it were a right, it would be in the Constitution.” ~Alexandria Ocasio Cortez

IC B3

H
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
H
Originally Posted by NeBassman
http://www.ifallsdailyjournal.com/news/opinion-columns/editors-desk-too-good-be-true-again-104

The photo first showed up in 2006 on a number of Web sites. The Hoax-Slayer Web site says the photo is authentic, but the sturgeon � a white, not a lake, as is common in Borderland � was caught on the Fraser River, near Chilliwack, British Columbia.

By the way, the record lake sturgeon for Minnesota weighed 94.4 pounds, measured 70 inches with a 26.5 inch girth, and was caught on the Kettle River in Pine County on Sept. 5, 1994.

Just a reminder: While email and internet technology provides wonderful resources, it also allows people to stretch the truth � and in this case, to a little over 11 feet.

My son caught a 69" 74 pound sturgeon in the Sacramento river 2 years ago, female, pretty fat for her length. Sturgeon on the columbian river ( between Wash & Oregon) are much larger. Here is a snippet from a guide my BIL and FIL went with last year:
The Columbia river below Bonneville Dam is a major spawning location for the giant oversized white sturgeon. These monsters can grow to 20 feet in length and reach weights of up to 2000 lbs. The average however that sturgeon fisherman angling for sturgeon are able to catch and release is between 6 and 14 feet with weights of up to 1200 lbs. These big sturgeon spend most of there time in the open ocean and only return to the Columbia river to spawn.

Cool fish, we have had several hooked, jump showing us how big they are, then dive and roll, usually cutting the monofilament line on the sharp diamonds on their side and along their bellies.

I had one take down my son's line last spring, then it stopped after maybe running 30 seconds. My son said he must have snagged a log or something. I took the rod and held as much and as long of pressure on it for probably 5 minutes, started strumming the line and I finally was able to gain on it. We noticed the line angle ( river fishing out the fain tail) was slowly getting closer to us, ie it was coming our way and almost below the boat when the hook just came out. I suspect we didn't have the 2 9/0 hooks set very well, or it ripped the leathery skin or lips. It surely would have exceeded our 72" maximum slot limit.

Allen

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

541 members (17CalFan, 222Sako, 1234, 10gaugemag, 1Longbow, 10gaugeman, 63 invisible), 3,172 guests, and 1,219 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,707
Posts18,534,829
Members74,041
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.