Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Clay Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Ok, First off I ain't no plumber and don't play one on T.V.

We completely gutted the kitchen 3 years ago and did a custom that came out nice. We have a septic system but I let the plumber talk me into installing a garbage disposal. We never used it, realize we shoudn't have it with a septic system, and it has been leaking from improper install for some time now. Disconnected the power a long time ago.

I understand how to remove the disposal but need to know what parts will be needed and configuration to plumb the drain once the disposal is out???

Thinking I can take these pics to the Home Depot and someone in the plumbing dept. would be able to help me ......... but I've been wrong before and don't want to make 22 trips to HD to get the job done.

Any & All Advice/Info/Instructions are Welcome & Appreciated!

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

NRA Life Member
USPSA Life Member
GB1

L
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
L
Your gonna need a new Finnegan pin. <g>

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
You need:

1 A kitchen sink strainer basket assembly. This is the stopper assembly that you have on the larger side of the sink.

2 A flanged extension. This should be a simple tubular pvc "pipe" about 9" long with a flange or ring on one end.

3 A 1 1/2" tubular pvc end waste. You'll probably only use the long tube with the elbow on it (the whole drain kit should be pretty cheap). This should have threads on the short section after the elbow. Use it to replace the horizontal tube that runs from the tee on the left hand side to the disposer. The flanged extension, part #2, will install vertically from the new elbow to the bottom of the new sink strainer basket.

4 Plumbers putty to install the strainer basket.

5 A hacksaw with a fine toothed blade for cutting the new drain parts. (A coarser blade is likely to catch and crack the thinwall drain parts).

6 And last but not least, you need to kick that plumber in the AZZ for not catching that leaky disposer. I can promise you that that disposer has been leaking a LONG time.

Last edited by bruinruin; 04/19/10.

4 out of 5 Great Lakes prefer Michigan. smile
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
A new strainer set up like the one on the left, a 90 deg. elbow and piece of PVC to go between the new strainers tailpiece & the existing trap where the disposer in currently hooked up. You do not need another trap BTW.

Should end up looking like this:

[Linked Image]

George Orwell was a Prophet, not a novelist. Read 1984 and then look around you!

Old cat turd!

"Some men just need killing." ~ Clay Allison.

I am too old to fight but I can still pull a trigger. ~ Me

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Is that a Clarkman?

It takes a village to raise an idiot.
IC B2

JOG Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Lawdwaz
Your gonna need a new Finnegan pin. <g>

Always take care replacing a Finnegan pin - one slip and the decommutator will go supercritical.

Forgive me my nonsense, as I also forgive the nonsense of those that think they talk sense.
Robert Frost
Clay Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Got it & Thanks T LEE ...... headed to the 'Depot.

NRA Life Member
USPSA Life Member
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Guess I'm a little late to ask if that flex is the dishwasher drain? There is a tail available with an inlet for the dishwasher drain and the flex needs to be looped up just below the counter top or an airgap installed. Sorry I didn't see this sooner.

Clay Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Yes, the flex is the dw drain and thanks for the additional input.

NRA Life Member
USPSA Life Member
O
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
O
Clay:
You need a basket strainer to replace the disposal flange in the bottom of the sink. Use plumbers putty to install the strainer.
Next you need a dishwasher tailpiece that hooks to the bottom of the basketstrainer. Get the one that hooks directly to the thread on the b/s if possible. It needs to have the larger "Y" pipe.
Then you need the long pipe with the 90 degree ell on the end to hook to the bottom of the d/w tailpiece and to the center of the "T" where the disp hooks now.
Hook the flex into the D/W tailpiece with the rubber conn. that is hooked to the disposal now.
Parts list:
Basket strainer
D/W tailpiece- direct hook up type-with large inlet pipe.
Plumbers putty
long 1-1/2" pipe with ell from an end outlet waste.

IC B3

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Off topic, but disposals are the bane of waste water treatment plants as well as septic owners. Most people use them as garbage grinders.

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Took mine out as soon as I had a chance after we moved in the joint, hate em.

George Orwell was a Prophet, not a novelist. Read 1984 and then look around you!

Old cat turd!

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Looks like island sinks are all the rage.

Nail

What about guns?When do we get guns?
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
What the heck is an "island sink"?

Old cat turd!

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by ironbender
Off topic, but disposals are the bane of waste water treatment plants as well as septic owners. Most people use them as garbage grinders.

Except for those that don't drain the sink to the sewer and send it through a grease trap and out the back yard....

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
When I remodeled the kitchen I replaced the existing two section sink with a single large sink, single drain. Made the plumbing easy, and upgrading to a higher end disposal was worth the $ as it is much quiter than the cheapy home depot unit that rusted out after a few years.

That kitchen sink and plumbing had accounted for ~90% of my homeowner headaches.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by T LEE
What the heck is an "island sink"?

A sink/cabinet that's out on the open floor of the kitchen. It doesn't mate to a wall on any of the sides.

Nail

What about guns?When do we get guns?
R
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
R
I sure hope it doesn't take 22 trips to the store to get this job done, but I've never finished any plumbing job with only one. I always start plumbing first thing in the am cause you never know what's gonna break or leak when you think you're almost done. Rick

The man who loves other countries as much as his own stands on a level with the man who loves other women as much as he loves his own wife. ~ Theodore Roosevelt
T
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
T
Glad you got it taken care of.

Why so much dislike for the disposal?

I like ours a lot, if I can convince my wife it's not a garbage compactor things will be fine.

Camp is where you make it.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by tzone
Glad you got it taken care of.

Why so much dislike for the disposal?

I like ours a lot, if I can convince my wife it's not a garbage compactor things will be fine.

+1.

I'm forever getting after my wife about the stuff she dumps down ours. My MIL too. I once caught her dumping a large colander full of strawberry tops and trimmings into the disposer. They had been cleaning up approx. 40 qts of strawberrys for freezing and preserving and I guess that trash can 8 feet away was just too far.

4 out of 5 Great Lakes prefer Michigan. smile
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

552 members (10gaugemag, 22kHornet, 1beaver_shooter, 2500HD, 222ND, 257 roberts, 67 invisible), 2,578 guests, and 1,271 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,693
Posts18,534,560
Members74,041
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.