24hourcampfire.com
-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
faisan Offline OP
OP Offline
In checking some catalogs on express double rifles (side-by-side, double trigger), I noticed that some of them can be built either with English straight stocks or pistol grips. Is there any advantage as to either one? Would the caliber selected determine whether to order a straight stock or a pistol grip, i.e., a .375 H&H or a .470 N.E.? Any comments and/or suggestions would be appreciated.<P>faisan<P>

HR IC

B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
faisan,<BR> I don't know if this helps or not, but having shot double shotguns with both style of stocks, I prefer the pistol grip as it seems to help with recoil,,the 375 should be a piece of cake, but I am not sure about the 470,,,FWIW,,BEARHUNTER

D
Doc Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
D
It's more a matter of what kind of trigger you intend to get. If you use a double trigger, the straight grip allows you to shift your hand easier. This is more important on a shotgun when each barrel generally has a different choke. A traight grip allows for a slightly faster selection of the barrel depending on the range of the game. It's not as important on a rifle since it really doesn't matter which barrel you fire first. You can set your hand for one of the two triggers, and given that a rifle has to aimed, you'll have plenty of time to shift your hand a bit if you need to for your second shot while you're aiming. If you get a single trigger, a pistol grip tends to be more comfortable, and will help with the recoil.

faisan Offline OP
OP Offline
)Thanks BEARHUNTER and DOC for your information. It was really helpful and informative. Nothing like getting help from the pros!

A
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A
Doc & Faisan,<P>What Doc is saying is true with shotguns, but definately not with double rifles, for several reasons...<P>Double rifles allways have open pistol grips, I cannot remember seeing a "qualitity double rifle" with a stright grip...Perhaps some were made in very light calibers, but I don't recall seeing any....<P>A stright grip 450-400 up thru 600 N.E. would literally thump your middle finger into pure anguish..<BR>and it would not handle well with sights...<P>Another thing to consider is all double rifles are regulated to shoot right/left, right/left,,,if you reverse that sequence then the rifle will shoot wide...not a big deal on a Buff at 50 yds broadside, but could be important on a Buff at 50 yds comming towards you and you wanting to make a brain shot......<P>Double rifles are a whole new ball game in the shooting world. they are finecky and different to say the least...but are the ultimate DGR..IMHO, I carry nothing else for that application...<P>------------------<BR>Ray Atkinson<BR>atkinsonhunting.com<BR>208-326-4120

IC B2

faisan Offline OP
OP Offline
Thanks also to you Mr. Atkinson. It seems that a pistol grip on a double express rifle is the way to go. It is amazing the kind of reliable information you can get from this site. Thanks again to you all!

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

564 members (007FJ, 10gaugeman, 10Glocks, 1936M71, 1lessdog, 1Longbow, 62 invisible), 2,164 guests, and 1,153 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,668
Posts18,493,711
Members73,977
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.