Page 1 of 2 1 2
M
mbuck Offline OP
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
M
gentleman -

my hunting partner and i are planning a trip to Montana in september. we plan on bird hunting in the morning and would like to get in some fishing/antelope hunting in the afternoon.

we're going to be in the glasgow/fort peck area.

called the montana fish and game department and got some numbers from them.

our plan is to bird hunt in the morning. we hope to find some watering holes on our bird hunting trips. if we find any antelope sign, come back and bow hunt the watering hole in the evening.

right now, we're looking at areas 628, 629, and 630.

Anybody have any advice, or direction they can point me in? i know those areas constitute more ground than we can cover in 10 days, just trying to narrow down a starting point that offers birds/antelope/fishing within driving distance of each other. of course, we're looking for public land access.

Any advice would be appreciated..

thanks

GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
i usually hunt the area closest to the dam on the northside...FW&P's website aint working at the moment and i forget which area it is.....dont know how much help i could be as i usually hunt during the rifle season and actually prefer to wait a week or so and let them get concentrated onto a flat i know and stirred up.....the unit usually has decent numbers of goats but they are gonna be spread out during archery as there are usually lil water holes scattered all over....

A serious student of the "Armchair Safari" always looking for Africa/Asia hunting books
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
I think if u r going to bow hunt do the 900 tag that is the one u can go any were with your bow look it up to make sure.

MTHunter

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
The area I bow hunt has lots of birds and lots of lopes and lots of snakes.......so you may wish to keep that in mind if you're running the dogs in Sept.

I don't know if the area you're talking about has the snakes or not. Rattler could tell you I spect, that sounds kind of funny doesn't it.. wink

Dober

"True respect starts with the way you treat others, and it is earned over a lifetime of demonstrating kindness, honor and dignity"....Tony Dungy
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Dober, I don't think there's many rattlers on the riverbottom if you're hunting pheasants, maybe run into one out in the hills after sharptails or huns.

IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
grin yeah there are rattlers out there but i dont think they are terribly thick......atleast where the lopes usually are.....not sure how thick they are wherever your bird hunting.....in Sept that means grouse and huns around here(pheasant doesnt open till Oct).....they can be thick in one area and not see a one a mile down the road.....be careful anywhere you see sandstone outcrops or rock piles along fields.....

keep an eye open but i wouldnt loose much sleep over them....bites around here are actually fairly rare even with alot of hunters out in the field.....

A serious student of the "Armchair Safari" always looking for Africa/Asia hunting books
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
That's where I always ran into them Sam was in the hills after lopes/sharps/huns.

I've got this place I call Hun Heaven (4 very good reason) and I could just as easily call it Rattler Hell...grin

Dober

(heading to the river in 17 minutes to rip some lips, I caught 4 really nice browns the other night)

"True respect starts with the way you treat others, and it is earned over a lifetime of demonstrating kindness, honor and dignity"....Tony Dungy
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Right on, have fun!

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
You headed to the Gal Mark? It has been fishing really nice but a little murky the other night. East is chocolate milk.

"It's my main love for all things Ackley. Plus the dude was cool before cool was cool."

SH08
R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Here's how I would do it- I'd pull into Glasgow and buya Montana Atlas and Gazetteer- Then I'd go to fish and game on the east end of main street and get their block management maps out- Then I'd get a BLM map at the sporting goods store just for cross reference. Each block management area map will tell you if that block of land has birds on it or not.
For antelope, just slowly cruising roads through block managementand/or the huge amount of public land up there will show you where the antelope are- There can be a long distance between antelope up there. Cruising the road will let you start hunting where they are- You won't have any trouble finding some to hunt, though, unless they have had a massive die off that I haven't heard of. The sporting goods/hardware store in town should be able to get you started on fishing- I've never fished up there.

Fred

IC B3

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Don't discount rattlesnakes in the major river bottoms and hayfields. I've found them while fishing on islands in the Missouri and Yellowstone rivers, while bird hunting in hayfields along the Yellowstone and Gallatin rivers, and in the Missouri Breaks while rifle antelope hunting. The longest one I ever killed was 42" (without head) that was in the aspen and Douglas-fir forest above Gardiner, MT.

SAVE 200 ELK, KILL A WOLF

NRA Endowment Life Member

M
mbuck Offline OP
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
M
thanks for all the comments, guys.. i was told once by a local out there that as long as we stayed north of the Missouri, we'd stay away from snakes. is that not the case?

does it sound like a reasonable plan? we figure we'll concentrate on what's giving us the most fun and opportunity. bring my buddies dog, and if we're thick into birds, we'll likely stay on 'em. if its hot as hell and the birds aren't to be found, we'll focus more on lopes and fish.

i think a 900 tag is the right tag to apply for as well. as i understand it, we have until June 1 to apply.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by buffybr
Don't discount rattlesnakes in the major river bottoms and hayfields. I've found them while fishing on islands in the Missouri and Yellowstone rivers, while bird hunting in hayfields along the Yellowstone and Gallatin rivers, and in the Missouri Breaks while rifle antelope hunting. The longest one I ever killed was 42" (without head) that was in the aspen and Douglas-fir forest above Gardiner, MT.

they really can be anywhere and unless your in the area alot its hard to know how thick they are.....28 years here i have yet to see one on the northside of the river within 10 miles of me.....cross the river and its nothing to run across one.....dont know why, rattlers can swim just fine, ive seen them do it.....get east or west of me and they are on either side of the river but right here its extremely rare to find one....

plenty of mice, plenty of good habitat but 20 years of flipping boards looking for snakes ive not come across one close to home unless i cross the river....i have found every other local species and a one the experts say isnt here but no rattlers....

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by mbuck
thanks for all the comments, guys.. i was told once by a local out there that as long as we stayed north of the Missouri, we'd stay away from snakes. is that not the case?

does it sound like a reasonable plan? we figure we'll concentrate on what's giving us the most fun and opportunity. bring my buddies dog, and if we're thick into birds, we'll likely stay on 'em. if its hot as hell and the birds aren't to be found, we'll focus more on lopes and fish.

i think a 900 tag is the right tag to apply for as well. as i understand it, we have until June 1 to apply.

i wouldnt bet on it.......the rocks on the back side of the dam have rattlers which means they are on both sides......like i said though other than if you run across a den site they really arent that thick around here......should you be aware that we have them? yes......but chances are you wont find them.....unless your my uncle, he steps on one every year chasing sharptails.....no matter where he hunts.....ive only come across a handful during hunting season spread all over this part of the state........

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Nice hijack....

Back to the OP's question. There's not any antelope in Montana... The snakes ate 'em all. They're the Wolves of the prarie I tell ya.

laugh

I'm Irish...

Of course I know how to patch drywall
W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
This will be my tenth year going to Montana to chase birds. We show up for the pheasant opener in mid Oct so that we can hunt all upland species and waterfowl and I've only seen snakes the first two years we went. Seems like with all the global warming (cooling) they aren't moving around above ground by the middle of Oct where we hunt. Last few years it seems to be getting colder each time we go. We hunt up around Chinook and the Bearpaws. We put in for antelope last year but didn't draw, trying again this year.

Bob

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
You must have money to lease if you're hunting birds around there these days...

If thats the case, get with your landowner and do a "landowner preference" this year.

I'm Irish...

Of course I know how to patch drywall
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by mbuck
gentleman -

my hunting partner and i are planning a trip to Montana in september. we plan on bird hunting in the morning and would like to get in some fishing/antelope hunting in the afternoon.

we're going to be in the glasgow/fort peck area.

called the montana fish and game department and got some numbers from them.

our plan is to bird hunt in the morning. we hope to find some watering holes on our bird hunting trips. if we find any antelope sign, come back and bow hunt the watering hole in the evening.

right now, we're looking at areas 628, 629, and 630.

Anybody have any advice, or direction they can point me in? i know those areas constitute more ground than we can cover in 10 days, just trying to narrow down a starting point that offers birds/antelope/fishing within driving distance of each other. of course, we're looking for public land access.

Any advice would be appreciated..

thanks

The antelope wintered well up here....you wont run out of antelope to look at and hunt...as far as rattle snakes we've got them too. A guy can bump into them on sunny warm days that time of year. Lots of block management and BLM land to hunt up here....

Luck....is the residue of design...
[Linked Image]
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
I'm not familiar with Montana's hunting block numbers, but after looking over this thread, I looked at the map they post. I didn't see a 900 block, so am guessing it was posted in jest. For a dummie from the East, what is a 900 block?
Thanks
Bfly

Be nice and work hard, you never have enough time or friends.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
The 900 is what the archery lope tag is called. If you get this tag you can begin your hunt on Aug 15th. And you can use it to hunt in any of the units that allows lope hunting.

The 900 thingy isn't a snipe hunt.

Dober

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

68 members (3dtestify, akrange, 3333vl, 10gaugemag, 808outdoors, 10 invisible), 14,579 guests, and 1,328 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,195,336
Posts18,546,258
Members74,060
Most Online21,066
May 26th, 2024

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.