-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
Who's using one ? Ive only had mine since the new year and havent hunted much with it (did have a wolf howling back at me while another came in). The calls and volume have blown me away....also looking to use it for moose this fall.

GB1

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I've used a couple though I don't own one. Each time I hear a WT I am amazed again at how LOUD and CLEAR they are. My BIL and I had a wolf howl back at a howl we played on the WT last Fall. It was across a vast really deep canyon. We tried to call it in, unsuccessfully.

What sound were you using when the wolf came in?

Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn

I was playing some cottontail distress, then moved to make another stand elsewhere when I spotted him heading down the logging road to where I was calling from. He was pretty casual so I figured it was a stray dog. I used some rally howls/ Male alpha calls and he was standing there responding then I spotted movement of a second one that had the same colour phase (black/brown sheppard like). I didnt' have a tag so didnt' take any of them...I ended up following them until they disapeared in a tree line together....Couldnt' believe on how casual they were about me being there...but they would never let me approach closer than 100 yards. I figured they had gotten used to humans because it was in active logging area.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
northcoast,
Thank you. Good info. I was wondering of course if they had come in to wolf vocals or to prey sounds.

On two occasions I've called wolves inside of 100 yards with prey sounds (jack rabbit). Animal vocals, like wolf howls, are useful but when we don't know what we're communicating in wolf language, we run the risk of chasing animals away as much as calling them closer! A few weeks ago I used wolf howls on a Minaska to locate some wolves, and they obligingly howled back at me. They did not come in to prey sound however when we set up to call them, and I suspect that our big bold howls intimidated them before we started the prey sounds.

Along that line for your moose calling, I've found that moose cow in heat sounds will call any size bull but aggressive bull sounds will run off small bulls. I ran off a young bull once that we had called to within a few steps of letting my son shoot him. I switched from cow in heat to bull grunts and raking branches with a big horse shoulder blade, and the young bull turned tail and sneaked back the way he had come! The bull grunts and raking had called in a belligerant big bull earlier, but I learned that it intimidated small bulls.

Calling stuff is a fun way to hunt. Good luck!

Last edited by Okanagan; 03/18/10.
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
I have no way of confirming but I believe I probably scared more wolves away with that Chilling Male Alpha Wolf call then anything else.... blush

I think Ill work on prey / Coyote calls next time...I dont' think the Wolf will shy away from the Coyote especially if he thinks he's after his lunch / territory. cool

IC B2

Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
so...Anybody else using WT ?

M
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
M
I've got a KAS 2030 model. I've had it for about three or four years. I love it and I hate it. The sounds are great, the sound quality is great, and I've called alot of coyotes with it. I've had a few technical difficulties with the reciever. WT has replaced them every time, but when it goes out its out. Sucks when it happens in the middle of a hunt or much worse a contest.

L
L
I've owned 4 different brands of e-callers. The others had sounds that were obviously (To me.) NOT made by real animals. I would have bought a WT much sooner(Based on testimonials.) but price was always the stopper. When they came out with a model in my price range I got one. I ordered the sounds I wanted. They are all from real animals. The response rate for me has gone way up and I had my best ever year in 2009-2010.
The only reservations I have ever read about WT callers have not been about the caller, but rather the attitude and demeanor of the owner. Coyotes don't care about that and neither do I. I think the WT is the most effective e-caller available at this time.

Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
Originally Posted by lumberjack
The only reservations I have ever read about WT callers have not been about the caller, but rather the attitude and demeanor of the owner.

Bill does seem a little special doesnt' he. I found it funny that he didnt' reply to any emails after I bought the unit. Either way if I ever had any issues I would just call but I never did. The unit works in -35 C...not sure what that is in F .

The alpha male wolf rallying call still raises the hair on the back of my neck / back / gives me goose bumps.

cheers,

NC

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

175 members (12344mag, 2500HD, 2UP, 160user, 10Glocks, 3dtestify, 18 invisible), 1,534 guests, and 889 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,863
Posts18,497,262
Members73,980
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.