Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
Hypothetical situation, you miss a shot at a deer while brush hunting. The deer does not know your location and is quiet, yet alert, obviously. You want a follow up shot, but ejecting and chambering is going to be noisy.

What action type would you want in that situation? Lever, bolt, break-open, pump, falling block, or other. By the way semi-automatic is not an option, as it is illegal north of the border.

GB1

S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
Dude, I hunt without one in a chamber period. I've worked all kinds of bolts and levers. Trust me if the shot didn't scare the [bleep] out of him the action ain't.

"Dear Lord, save me from Your followers"
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
The Remington 740,742,7400 or the Browning BAR if a follow up shot is important these are ready for your second miss.

Last edited by tedthorn; 04/24/10.

Maker of the Frankenstud Sling Keeper
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Ruger #1 will do it for me!!!

Retired and Loving It!!
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
T
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
T
An accurate well aimed first shot, so a second one isn't required. But if the deer ain't running like the end of the world is in sight, any action other than maybe a Winchester lever will do. (Nomex suit on.) wink

"Keep thy heart with all diligence; for out of it are the issues of life." (Prov 4:23)

Brother Keith

IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
90% of the time I use a bolt rifle and I've got another shell chambered within a couple seconds if I need it or not. I don't even think about it, it's second nature just as putting the safe on/off or flipping up my scope caps.

Most people that are familiar with their bolt guns can fire an accurate second shot just as quickly as most any other action.

I emphasize accurate in that sentence

Life is just one damned thing after another
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
This one...
[Linked Image]

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Likely a semi auto will cycle while the rifles report and subsequent echos are still rebounding around the landscape. Of all of my rifles, the Ruger #1's are the quietest.

1Minute
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by tedthorn
The Remington 740,742,7400 or the Browning BAR

Of those, I'd say the Remington is the quietest. It goes "bang" one time and that's pretty much all you hear...

'till the cussin' starts... grin

S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S

BAR - no noise at all.

And if you hunt from a deer stand in the thick stuff this is an issue.

Spot

IC B3

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
BAR or AR-15 or 10

A Doe walks out of the woods today and says, that is the last time I'm going to do that for Two Bucks.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I've never shot a semi-auto yet that could be closed quietly and be reliably locked up. One of the few times I have ever missed a moose was when I was using a BAR that had an empty chamber.

Nowadays I use a bolt gun with one up the pipe. Of course this has a lot to do with the way we hunt.

Jim

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
Learn how to work a bolt gun quickly and the next round will be in the chamber before the sound of the shot has subsided. With practice you can work a bolt rifle pretty fast.

Most people don't really want the truth.

They just want constant reassurance that what they believe is the truth.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I have popped caps on my side-lock muzzle loader at deer that were only 25 yards away, and managed to clean out the nipple and slide on a new cap without them running. The noise isn't always a factor.

The quietest is probably a break action single or double. Ruger, Merkel, H&R, Knight...

After that... pick your risks. A hammerless lever or a bolt would likely be next, but as Steelie already indicated, you're taking an unnecessary risk at that if you're rolling with a hot chamber.

Last edited by Aileinduinn; 04/23/10.

...new laws were most numerous when the commonwealth was most corrupt. ~ Publius Cornelius Tacitus
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Remmy, Sako, Tikka...

But my most quiet is a Matthews...grin.

DJ

J
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
J
For a follow-up shot, cost no object, the quietest is a double rifle. Here is John "Pondoro" Taylor discussing the subject in his classic book, "African Rifles and Cartridges," from his experience of hunting elephants professionally in thick cover.

"Then there's the question of silence: one seldom hears this spoken of or mentioned in writing except, of course, by other staunch upholders of the double; but personally I consider it of the very utmost importance. No matter how careful you may be you cannot avoid the metallic clatter of the bolt when reloading with a magazine rifle. It frequently happens that game stands motionless after the first shot, quite unable to place the danger zone; if you want a second shot you can get it with a double; but the inevitable clatter of a magazine [rifle] will stampede them before you are ready to fire with that type of weapon."

Incidentally, his technique with using a double for dangerous game was to reload quietly after the first shot whenever possible, before firing a second, in order to always have a shot in reserve in case of a charge. For this reason he always used non-ejector doubles so as to avoid even the 'click' of the ejector as a giveaway noise.

Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
Originally Posted by Jlin222
For a follow-up shot, cost no object, the quietest is a double rifle. Here is John "Pondoro" Taylor discussing the subject in his classic book, "African Rifles and Cartridges," from his experience of hunting elephants professionally in thick cover.

"Then there's the question of silence: one seldom hears this spoken of or mentioned in writing except, of course, by other staunch upholders of the double; but personally I consider it of the very utmost importance. No matter how careful you may be you cannot avoid the metallic clatter of the bolt when reloading with a magazine rifle. It frequently happens that game stands motionless after the first shot, quite unable to place the danger zone; if you want a second shot you can get it with a double; but the inevitable clatter of a magazine [rifle] will stampede them before you are ready to fire with that type of weapon."

Incidentally, his technique with using a double for dangerous game was to reload quietly after the first shot whenever possible, before firing a second, in order to always have a shot in reserve in case of a charge. For this reason he always used non-ejector doubles so as to avoid even the 'click' of the ejector as a giveaway noise.

Thanks 222, that's the kind of information I was looking for. That makes good sense. Would be interesting seeing his non-ejector drillings.

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
I forgot the model, but it was an Anschutz in .22 hornet.

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Nobody that I know of in the south hunts deer with an empty chamber; it's simply unheard of and would be virtually impossible to get away with on whitetails in close quarters. Hell, I won't even hunt with a rifle with a noisy safety let alone have to work the bolt before I shoot. I believe the OP asked about actions other than semi-autos. I suspect that a single shot would be the quietest, but probably not the fastest. As another poster suggested, if you work the bolt right after the shot I doubt the animal will hear the sound of the bolt during the blast. That is what I do and have used a follow up a time or two to prevent an animal from running someplace I didn't want him to with a second shot or taking a second, third or fouth animal out of a crowd.

S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
Sweet Jesus is this some funny [bleep]

"Dear Lord, save me from Your followers"
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

63 members (aaronward9, 10gaugemag, 6mmbrfan, 6MMWASP, 79S, 7mm_Loco, 9 invisible), 1,529 guests, and 754 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,555
Posts18,510,423
Members74,002
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.