Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
thanks paul.

he's 17 and 3/4" and was shot with a tikka t3 lite in 6.5x55

FJB
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Podunk, there are good and bad shooting preserves. Like most everyting. Some are just like shooting old bossy the milch cow in a pen and some you could hardly tell from so called "fair chase" hunting.

Where ever you go call some references before hand and talk to them about facilities.

Look into cull and surplus hunts. Most places will have them if not advertised. Usually a lot cheaper if you just want to take an animal.

BCR

Quando Omni Moritati
S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
Where did the one go of you and a blackbuck?

I don't know enough, or anything really about those critters but why aren't they black? Different variation or time of year?

"Dear Lord, save me from Your followers"
P
podunk Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
P
Thats nice blackbuck. I think im gonna look into those cull hunts. Sadly florida wma's just dont offer the kind of hunting that really gets new hunters excited and hooked. Especially female hunters. I think im gonna take her on a half day quail hunt this summer and a preserve hunt towards the fall. Now just to find the surplus/ cull hunts.

The view one sees is his own
Practitioner of the ancient art of skank fu
IC B2

G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
Introducing her to hunting, I'd do whatever I could to make sure she enjoyed the whole experience. Not necessarily spending a bundle of bucks, just going out of your way to make her hunt a good one.

I suppose the hunting preserves are a viable option, and might make for a very nice weekend hunt. Why not?

Am just thinking that a good positive attitude, not worrying a lot about costs, just getting out and having fun would be the way to go. On the other hand I've been married almost 30 years and my wife has absolutely no interest in hunting with me. She doesn't mind at all that I go, and I don't try to force her to come along. It's worked out real well for us, for a long time now. We ski, hike and camp together. She likes to come along while I fly fish, but wants nothing to do with killing anything. That's okay by me.

Regards, Guy

P
podunk Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
P
All true Guy, My girlfriend loves the outdoors and loves to hunt. Sadly we have conflicting work schedules so it makes it hard for us to hunt a whole lot. Most of the time she gets to go with me is in the summer when all ive got to hunt is hogs and yotes. I really want her to kill something bigger that isnt a terrible hard hunt just to get her interested. Now im trying to find the right price at a preserve.

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Remember, it's going to be your wife's hunt. She probably does not know the difference between high fence, low fence or no fence. Just take her and have a good time.

P
podunk Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
P
She does know the difference but unlike us men she doesnt feel the macho need to worry about such matters as bragging rights.

S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
That's because some guys cater to them. A chick could shoot a tied up whitetail and the guys will say "That was great honey, good shot and great hunt"

IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Steelhead
Where did the one go of you and a blackbuck?

I don't know enough, or anything really about those critters but why aren't they black? Different variation or time of year?

They are actually the tan'ish color but the bucks have glands on their foreheads that when they become dominant they release an oil from the gland that turns the hair black.

Least that's how i understand it!

here's the two dad and i shot in argentina.

[Linked Image]

here's the boys from TX..

[Linked Image]

I can't spell... Deal with it...
T
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
T
From what I can see the boys looks darker.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
it is, less of a heard so younger bucks can mate.

[Linked Image]

here's one of dads from TX...

[Linked Image]

P
podunk Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
P
I reckon in some instances thats the case. Definitely not in mine, my girl is just glad to spend time with me and enjoys being in the outdoors. I dont know what she sees in me im an azzhole about hunting i dont cut her any slack at all.

S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
Thinking I do remember hearing that before Paul.

I still think I'd take her on an Axis hunt, they can be pretty spooky from my limited time hunting them, are beautiful and taste fantastic.

T
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
T
They are very pretty Paul.

Did you get em mounted?

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
i agree! an axis hunt even on a preserve is pretty hard, unless you have it penned up on a leash. they are spooky..

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
oh ya! i have mine and my wife's up right now but i'm still waiting on my sons. i inherited my fathers trophies so i have to find room for those now too!

T
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
T
Cool,

R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
steelhead,

still a little bashful i guess i took it off.

from what i was told same bucks go through a color phase and tan out. my was completely tan, and hers has some black streaks as you can see.

they were challenging. the axis on the other hand were like freaking ghost, and damn near impossible to stalk on the ranch we hunted.

FJB
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

622 members (1234, 10gaugemag, 06hunter59, 1lessdog, 10Glocks, 1badf350, 62 invisible), 2,621 guests, and 1,240 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,519
Posts18,509,632
Members74,002
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.