Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
ROMAC Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
I saw one recently but understand that the one I saw was probably a Mossberg. I was told that these are even rarer than the Montgomery Wards version made by Savage.

Does anyone know more about either version?

"Somehow, the sound of a shotgun tends to cheer one up" -- Robert Ruark
GB1

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
The Mossberg Premiers were based on their Model M pumps, they had a tang safety and the receiver was split about 1/3 down on the left side. The Savage Premiers were based on the model 25 and had a button safety in the rear of the trigger guard and the receiver halves were split through the top. I have probably seen about the same number of each - I would place the Mossberg slightly more common but I have not seen that many of either.

Mossbergs pumps were based on the Meriden Model 15; they acquired the design from Sear after WWI and made only a couple minor changes to it during their years of production. The patents for that design are in the names of Basil and Arthur J. Savage. For some reason Mossberg stopped making the Premiers for Wards and Savage took over, that had to be sometime before 1929 for the Savage Premiers to be based on the model 25; Mossberg stopped making pump 22's completely in 1931. The patents on the Mossberg design ran out about 1929 and if you compare parts with those of a Savage Model 29 you will see the basics of the design are identical.

Gene
ROMAC Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Thanks GeneB, what would one expect to give for one in 93-95% condition?

The one I saw was definitely the Mossberg and in super condition. I guess I'm just trying to justify going back and getting it to add to the accumulation.

L
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
L
I don't know anything about them but if it gives you an itch, you should scratch it!!

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by ROMAC
Thanks GeneB, what would one expect to give for one in 93-95% condition?

The one I saw was definitely the Mossberg and in super condition. I guess I'm just trying to justify going back and getting it to add to the accumulation.

Now is it closer to 93% or closer to 95%??? grin Sorry... just joking, I try not to get involved it pricing or even talking about prices, you'll just have to try and find a couple that have been on the internet to get an idea. One or two have been on GunBroker recently so they may still show up in a search of closed auctions. That one sounds like it has more condition than any I have seen. I don't consider them a real good design, even in good condition the receiver halves usually have some looseness and you will find many with the takedown screws showing damage from the use of pliers to try and get them tight. They are still an intersting gun and have a connection to Savage. I now have two having just recently up graded to one in about 40%!

Gene
IC B2

ROMAC Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
I looked but you never know if the prices are actually close to the real world. Gunbroker shows just one complete gun selling for just under $400 plus shipping. I can get it about 33% cheaper than that without shipping.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
It' hard to put a value on something like this, it's a house brand so there isn't a real collector base for them and they do not sell often enough to set a stable value. That one on GunBroker has been getting relisted for quite a while, but it has probably had the barrel cut and has an uneven finish that I think looks like an old cold blue. It's definatly over priced and not a good reference.
Premier Pump
I have just not seen enough of these sell to give you any sound advice on a value but the one you describe sounds like it is a nice example.

A couple things to look for on these, loosen the takedown screw so it's just snug and see how loose the reciever is - most of these even in real good condition have much more play than any other takedown design. Look very close at the trigger pin on the right side, this is a weak spot in the design and if the gun has been dropped they will often crack through at this spot. Here is a picture I took a while ago that shows the weak spot.
[Linked Image]

Last edited by GeneB; 04/07/10. Reason: added info and pictures
D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
ROMAC, post some pictures for us.

Brian

Brian

ROMAC Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
I have to buy it first, but if I do I certainly will!

Gene, thanks for the tip on the weak spot, I'll keep an eye out for it.

ROMAC Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Well, here it is. No cracks, major gouges or pitting. IMO definitely the Mossberg version of the Premier 22 pump, but it does share some Savage patents so it is not totally off topic.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

IC B3

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Nice looking rifle and well cared for too. Ought to be a fun plinker.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
ROMAC; Is the breech block serial numbered to the gun? It should have the the last three digits stamped on the bottom where it can be seen with the gun taken down but without having to remove it from the reciever. Yours has the late third style block and I have not seen one in a Premier before; I had thought the change may have been made after they stopped making Premiers. There are some internal differences in the blocks so a picture would be apperciated.

Gene
ROMAC Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Gene, I'll have to take a look at the breach block when I get the chance.

I'll let you know what turns up.

ROMAC Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
I found this on the net while looking for additional information. The book referenced might contain some good stuff.

The "Premier" brand was manufactured by O.F. Mossberg & Sons starting around 1927 - 1928 for Montgomery Wards. It is a hammerless, take-down, octagonal barrel, pump action .22 caliber rifle and was sold by O.F. Mossberg as the Model "M". Mossberg also manufactured 2 round barreled versions the model "K" and the shorter model "S". Victor & Cheryl Havlin discuss and picture this model in their book "Mossberg: More Gun For The Money"

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I would stick with the standard, subsonics or CB's if your going to shoot it. The CCI Subsonic bullet runs a little over sized and is a good chose for older looser barrels.

Nice conditon!

Gene, good info.

Savage...never say "never".
Rick...

Join the NRA...together we stand, divided we fall!

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by ROMAC
I found this on the net while looking for additional information. The book referenced might contain some good stuff.

The "Premier" brand was manufactured by O.F. Mossberg & Sons starting around 1927 - 1928 for Montgomery Wards. It is a hammerless, take-down, octagonal barrel, pump action .22 caliber rifle and was sold by O.F. Mossberg as the Model "M". Mossberg also manufactured 2 round barreled versions the model "K" and the shorter model "S". Victor & Cheryl Havlin discuss and picture this model in their book "Mossberg: More Gun For The Money"

They couldn' have made them much later than 1928 because the Savage Premiers are based on the Model 25 that was replaced by the 29 sometime in 1929. From the add it sounds like Wards just bought "enormmous quantitys for 8,000,000 customers" to get a good price so it's possible it was just one large order. This is from the Fall 1927-1928 catalogue-
[Linked Image]
Here's a link to a higher resolution version that you will actually be able to read- Ward's 1927-1928

Last edited by GeneB; 04/08/10. Reason: added link

Gene
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
I'll take one of those Savage Sporters in .25 cal. for $20.95, please. On second thought, please throw in a .32 cal., too, and a couple of Remington 25Rs! I'll pay an even $100 for all four!

Where's my time machine when I NEED it?????

ROMAC Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Yes Gene, the breech block is numbered to the gun. Has the last three digits as you suggested. All the internal parts look like they were machined yesterday!

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

T
T
Hi, I am new to this group. I am trying to repair a Premier 22 that belonged to my great-grandfather. I bought another Premier 22 and want to use parts from it to repair my great-grandfather's pump 22. I have discovered that there are minor differences between the two rifles such as different dimensions for the carrier stop screw. I want to replace the octagon barrel on my grandfather's rifle. A gunsmith ruined the original barrel on my grandfather's rifle. How do I remove the octagon barrel from the barrel receiver? I would appreciate any advice you could give me.

ROMAC Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
GeneB is probably the guy to answer your questions. Send him a PM to get his attention. He has been very helpful to a lot of people regarding the 22's and their issues.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Rick99, RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

514 members (10gaugemag, 01Foreman400, 1234, 160user, 10gaugeman, 12344mag, 67 invisible), 2,409 guests, and 1,234 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,320
Posts18,487,413
Members73,969
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.