-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I agree with Steelhead on empty chamber when stalking. When hunting from a treestand I'll chamber a round after I'm strapped in.

All in all, my CRPF model 70 in 358 WSSM cycles the most quietly.

“There are some who can live without wild things and some who cannot.”
ALDO LEOPOLD
GB1

T
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
T
What is the most quiet action?.....one you dont have to cycle a second time....make the first shot count.

Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Vic_in_Va
Originally Posted by tedthorn
The Remington 740,742,7400 or the Browning BAR

Of those, I'd say the Remington is the quietest. It goes "bang" one time and that's pretty much all you hear...

'till the cussin' starts... grin

That's funny right there!

Anybody who seriously concerns themselves with the adequacy of a Big 7mm for anything we hunt here short of brown bear, is a dufus. They are mostly making shidt up. Crunch! Nite-nite!

Stolen from an erudite CF member.
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
You apparently know what I'm talking about. smile

Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
I do, luckily from watching a friend.

Many years ago a buddy had a 742 carbine in 308. That rifle was incapable of reliably hitting a broadside bale of hay at 200 yards with every shot. Luckily the fact that it usually wouldn't cycle the second round into the chamber made him forget about the inaccuracy. Or the third, or the fourth... grin

Anybody who seriously concerns themselves with the adequacy of a Big 7mm for anything we hunt here short of brown bear, is a dufus. They are mostly making shidt up. Crunch! Nite-nite!

Stolen from an erudite CF member.
IC B2

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Why isn't another round being brought into battery as soon as the first shot is away? You should be familar enough with your rifle that you can cycle the action without taking your eyes off the deer.

Aim for the exit hole.
H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
seems to me the obvious answer would be a semi-auto action. noise and movement of the bolt is lost in the initial shot. if you're thinking of a bolt or pump, everyone has a different opinion/experience.

D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
I have no experience with a Ruger #1 so I's say a bolt action. The double rifle would make less noise obviously but not many can afford one. I have hunted with pumps for years and they're not quiet. Lever actions are about as noisy as a pump.

The Karma bus always has an empty seat when it comes around.- High Brass

There's battle lines being drawn
Nobody's right if everybody's wrong
C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
I'll say that a Kimber Montana action is loudest I've used.

C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
Originally Posted by Steelhead
Dude, I hunt without one in a chamber period. I've worked all kinds of bolts and levers. Trust me if the shot didn't scare the [bleep] out of him the action ain't.

You obviously haven't hunted in an area where the mere clicking of a safety can mean that you are eating TAG SOUP... Laffin!

IC B3

djp Offline
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Originally Posted by Kushtekaa
By the way semi-automatic is not an option, as it is illegal north of the border.

North of which border? Unless they just banned them, semi-automatic hunting rifles are perfectly legal North of the Canada/US border...just not those ultra-scary AR-type rifles - which of course, are fine for the rifle range.

J
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
J
I have always thought that a Krag Jorgensen was pretty
quiet when working the action.

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Hypothetical situation, you miss a shot at a deer while brush hunting. The deer does not know your location and is quiet, yet alert, obviously. You want a follow up shot, but ejecting and chambering is going to be noisy.

What action type would you want in that situation? Lever, bolt, break-open, pump, falling block, or other. By the way semi-automatic is not an option, as it is illegal north of the border.
Illegal in AK??

Ex- USN (SS) '66-'69
Pro-Constitution.
LET'S GO BRANDON!!!
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
The quietest I own are the Husqvarna push feeds.

Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
Originally Posted by djpepper
By the way semi-automatic is not an option, as it is illegal north of the border.

North of which border? Unless they just banned them, semi-automatic hunting rifles are perfectly legal North of the Canada/US border...just not those ultra-scary AR-type rifles - which of course, are fine for the rifle range.

djpepper,
Thanks for the heads up. I had not realized this, for some reason I had it in my head that all semi-automatics were restricted or disallowed, but like you say not the case. From what I've read they are non-restricted in a centerfire rifle with five round max. Great catch, however, I'm still back to non semi-autos because few are made in an inclement weather rifle and this is a definite concern in North rain country, as I'm sure you are aware.

Also, I think someone else asked about Alaska not allowing them. No, this is not true. I don't know what the gun laws are on that but Alaska has always been very open with theirs, including semi-automatics.

K
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
K
Originally Posted by Jericho
I have always thought that a Krag Jorgensen was pretty
quiet when working the action.

+1! My two 20's era Krag sporters are quiet and slick as glass!

BN

Founder
Ancient Order of the 1895 Winchester

"Come, shall we go and kill us venison?
And yet it irks me the poor dappled fools,
Being native burghers of this desert city,
Should in their own confines with forked heads
Have their round haunches gored."

WS

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Personally I think the whole thread is a mental wank. Keeping noise to a minimum is always a plus, but eventually one must get practical. The woods is not necessarily the quietest theater one will watch a movie in.

More than once I've made an unwanted noise only to look around and see a Deer standing or walking with apparent unconcern. Sometimes they are wired and others it seems you can jump up and down and all they do is look harder. Wind direction and velocity, land contour, hunting pressure, etc all play an unknown part in what will set a Deer off.

Many Deer I've encountered in the thick stuff that think they are concealed often are willing to play the waiting game.

The only thing that is certain is that you must get one in the chamber before you can accomplish anything.

laissez les bons temps rouler
D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
It's hard to say, because they seem the same to me. However, if I had to pick one, I would say my Sauer 202s the quietest- I know the safety is.

NRA Benefactor member
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
Ruger #1 falling block, it takes no time at all to have a follow up shot chambered.

Last edited by blklabs; 04/26/10.

I don't like shooting a friends new gun for fear I'll want to buy one!
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
I have never noticed a quiet actiion chambering metallic cartridges. If I felt it was critical for my hunt area I would probably use a Browning BAR so I could get the noise over with during the shot.

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

705 members (007FJ, 160user, 10gaugemag, 16gage, 12344mag, 01Foreman400, 64 invisible), 2,909 guests, and 1,339 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,846
Posts18,478,321
Members73,948
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.