Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
Larry,

Exactly how well do your Kimber Classics shoot? I assume they are Yonkers, NY made rifles?

To all gunmaker critics-
"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena.."- Teddy Roosevelt
GB1

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I have a lot of .22 rim fires that have not given a lick of trouble. out are made more than 35 years ago, some closer to a hundred years ago. My favorite just for casual plinking I would say are all my old WINCHESTERS. The ones I hunt with the most are clearly all my Marlin 39's. I don't know if any of this answers your questions or not?

Thus saith thr lord; Cursed be the man that trusteth in man, and maketh flesh his arm, and whose heart departeh from the lord. Jeremiah 17:5 KJV
O
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
O
Jim,
I have both a kimber classic and a classic varminter both yonkers, NY guns. Both guns will shoot .5 at 50 yards with several types of eley's. I have shot many groups in the .3 to .4 range at 50 yards (all 5 shot groups).

The only high speed ammo I can get to shoot is eley white rabbits. Mine will shoot cci standard velocity ok but thats it for cci stuff.

Dink

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
Dink,

Thanks for the reply. I did know that Kimber tested their rifles with the Remingont Imported Eley ammo and Federal Gold mdela match rounds. So I figured ,as with most any other rimfire most of the best groups would be shot with match ammo.

I went ahead and bought the K22 Classic I was looking at, so in a few weeks we shall see. I also wound up with a H&R m12 Target rifle to use as a shop rifle to build some stock patterns from so I guess I will be wringing that puppy out as well.

It's been about tow years since I have had some new rimfires to wring out at the range..

To all gunmaker critics-
"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena.."- Teddy Roosevelt
R
RJM Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
The Winchester 52 Sporter or the Browning 52 always fed and were spot on accurate. Only reason I sold mine was because of the high bolt throw required high rings...just could never get the proper cheek weld...

If looking for a new gun..CZ...I have a Scout, 453 Varmint and 452 American with the 17" threaded barrel...even with junk ammo they shoot better than most can hold...and with match ammo it gets truly astounding.

Can't go wrong with an Anschutz 54 either...

Bob

If you can not deal with reality, reality will deal with you....
IC B2

O
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
O
I would like to try a anschutz but I hear there quality control is also slipping.
I have had a couple of cz's and liked them except for that damn backwards safety. Since I have little boy that is going to start shooting soon I said to hell with it and sold them. I don't want him to get confused and make a mistake.

Dink

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Never had any problems feeding or ejecting with my old BL-22

"I call that bold talk for a one-eyed fat man." --Robert Duvall.
"Fill your hand, you son-of-a-bitch!" --John Wayne.
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
I
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
I
I have been through three Kimbers, and the last one (Yonkers Classic)is the best. It functions flawlessly, the trigger is superb, and it shoots under .5 inches with the right ammo. I had a Cooper and a Dakota, and had issues with each of them.

My most accurate and reliable .22 is a Sako Heavy Barrel Finnfire. It shot well out of the box, but I have since cheated and put on a heavy Lilja barrel and installed a Jewell 2-ounce trigger. WOW, does it ever shoot! The Kimber Classic serves as my squirrel gun and the Sako as my backyard bench gun. Been through a zillion .22s over the decades, but these two are my most often used now (except for pure plinking where my 9422 will always rule).

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
I have an old (old) BSA Martini model 12. Had to clean it once it started to misfire every now and then. Cleaned out the firing pin spring trigger assemble. Works fine and has done so for a very long time. No idea the round count, for me several thousand. Before 1984 when I bought it who knows. I would call it bullet proof. The most accurate 22LR (cartridge 220.) I have owned. Had lots of fun winning several competetions against 77/22's etc with 10X plus scopes with the micrometer iron peep sites on the BSA. Not a carry rifle, 11#'s with a 29" barrel but as accurate as I can be. Only issue would be wind, that affects all 22's.

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
Smith..

I bought a little 12/15 BSA off of Thad Scoot about 7-8 years ago..
I shot it in some 2/5 scaled BPCR Silhouette matches over the years..

Even with a bit of work, the trigger is a kind of gritchy 3-4 lbs.. And yet, I can hammer the little silver dollar sized chickens with it offhand at 80 yards with the PH tang sight..

I have plans to stock it up like an 1880 Martini Long range rifle someday just for grins..

Martinis actually work much better than they look and they are so homely they are actually kind of cute.. Like a Bulldog puppy.

To all gunmaker critics-
IC B3

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
My trigger is about 3-4# but smooth. Got it from a small gun shop in MN. I have the BSA sights, correct would be either Parker Hale or BSA. No idea of it's history other than honest wear and a nice patina. I love the gun for the fact that I know if I miss it is me not the rifle. If I remember correct I paid $250. If the wind is not up it will hit at 100 yards+ if I do my job.

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Can't comment on how bullet proof it is, but the accuracy of a new Nula .22lr I just received is impressive. 6lbs 8oz with Leupold 3x9AO and it is consistently shooting .5s at 50yards even with some of the HV ammo. Mostly will be used for field practice, but nice to know it does great off the bench when one wants to do so.

Last edited by battue; 05/13/10.

laissez les bons temps rouler
T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Been wondering about one of those. Does it use a Remington 700 centerfire trigger mechanism like NULA's centerfire rifles? That would make it pretty attractive to me ...

Anyone who thinks there's two sides to everything hasn't met a M�bius strip.

Here be dragons ...
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Don't quote me on this, but I think Mr. Forbes uses a Timney or Jewell trigger the same as on his CF rifles. He set it at 2lbs and it is sweet.

It is on the same length action-model 20-as the .308W class of rifles and balances almost the same. Essentially a .22lr in a BG rifle format. Great for practice.

V
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
V
Interesting, I've never seen one of the NULA's.............Hillbilly.

N
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
N
Most accurate I've had was an Anshutz. Damn close is the NEF handi-rifle I have in 17m2. The simple H&R action is hard to beat, or break. The Anshutz had a typical German trigger, lots of little parts that wouldn't stay put.

I am the NorthEast WoodsBeast!

"System version 1.3, divorced"
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by VaHillbilly
Interesting, I've never seen one of the NULA's.............Hillbilly.

Not the same as having one in your hands:

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
Battue.

Neat rifle!

Single shot or repeater?

To all gunmaker critics-
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Thanks.

Repeater. If I had it to do over it would have been a single shot, but no complaints.

Shot it again early this afternoon. Just buried the target ammo into 0.5s. Didn't do as good today with the HV stuff, but still kept them around .75. Can't tell the difference when standing or sitting.

Last edited by battue; 05/14/10.

R
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
R
Originally Posted by 3sixbits
I have a lot of .22 rim fires that have not given a lick of trouble. out are made more than 35 years ago, some closer to a hundred years ago. My favorite just for casual plinking I would say are all my old WINCHESTERS. The ones I hunt with the most are clearly all my Marlin 39's. I don't know if any of this answers your questions or not?

+1 though I now only have 1 rimfire rifle- a Ruger 10/22 (which I bought new several decades ago. It has never given me any trouble, though I do keep it fairly clean. I remember working with someone years ago that had an old rusty (and I do mean rusty) Remington Nylon 66. This rifle was amazing in that it always seemed to function and hitting crows at around 50 yards or so was never a problem. With all this being said, the rimfire rifle I had many years ago but foolishly sold was a Winchester 9422. That rifle had the smoothest action of any rimfire I have ever held.

I don't know if any of the above rifles can be claimed as the "most bullet proof" but any of them will last for a long time (assuming reasonable care).

Page 3 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

510 members (1936M71, 219 Wasp, 257 roberts, 219DW, 2500HD, 1badf350, 59 invisible), 2,426 guests, and 1,260 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,441
Posts18,489,489
Members73,970
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.