Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
For hitting the hills, is there any better way than just going and doing it? I have tried different workouts and they are great for keeping the lungs stretched a bit and shaving the spare tire, but it seems the only real way to get in "mountain shape" is to hit the mountains.
Hit the hills both Saturday and Sunday. Here is some pics from Sunday with the kids. Took the MR packs and went in search of sheep. Found 46 rams taking in some sun, was a good day in the hills. Casey
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

GB1

S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
Great pics and a big amen brother. That's why I hate living down in the flat lands again, nothing comes close to doing it. I'm not a runner and never will be but love just humping around.

"Dear Lord, save me from Your followers"
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Hard to beat muddy boots. Especially with the family.

"It's my main love for all things Ackley. Plus the dude was cool before cool was cool."

SH08
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Ovis, my man, you are not foolin' me! You HAD to get to the mountain, 'cause it's in your blood. You managed to combine it with an outing with the kids to give you wife some free time, with the goal of...................wait for it................payback booooootay!

I know I'm right, 'cause I BTDT!!!!!!!!!

Nice pic, thanks,
Don

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Too bad she is working night shifts! The wife was sleeping all day so it was "everyone out of the house or else..." Any excuse is a good one when it comes to going and chasing sheep for a day, and heck, it is less than a 10 mile drive from the house.

IC B2

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Nothing beats getting out there.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Agreed... I hit the gym pretty regular, and the first hump or two every spring always makes the legs feel like Jello.

I know all about Shift Work too. Buy the Old Lady a box of earplugs, and remember to wake her up on time (with coffee)

You did know its Spring Bear, right?

I'm Irish...

Of course I know how to patch drywall
R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Originally Posted by DanAdair

You did know its Spring Bear, right?

The funny thing is, I've sat and glassed that exact hillside quite a few times myself. It's not a bad spot for bears at all, especially here in a couple weeks.

Any sign Ovis?

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Ohhhh... So THAT's where Huson is?

I've already seen one cinnimon so far this year. Too late in the day to make a stalk...

I'm Irish...

Of course I know how to patch drywall
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Yep, you've got to hit the mountains to build the muscle, tendon, and joint strength you need for hiking. I try to alternate between longer hikes with a lighter pack for endurance and shorter hikes with an overweight pack for strength. I do like to mix it up with mountain biking because I usually get better cardiovascular results mountain biking than from any kind of hiking.

IC B3

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Yeppers, thinking about bears. Usually don't see much movement in this area till mid-May.

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
I'd agree that the best way to train for the mountains is to hike up 'em but unfortunately most of us can't do that on a regular enough schedule to get in "mountain shape."

I think the next best way to go is do local hikes with a weighted pack. I take my dog to the local state park for his runs (it's big) and we do a 3.2 mile circuit with a few hills. I load up 30 lbs. of sand bags and water bottles in my pack and do that 2-3 time a week. I've only been doing it for a month but I can feel a difference already and I've lost three pounds. I go to the gym year-round but I think the weight in the pack really burns the calories.

On my hunting trips I normally lose 5-8 lbs., gotta be careful or I'll waste away to nothing before the season!!

Almost forgot, excellent photos!!!!

A wise man is frequently humbled.

J
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
J
The answer is NO, there is not.

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
I run, I bike, I hike, but there is nothing like walking up and down uneven surfaces (read hills) to get into shape for walking up and down hills.

“Live free or die. Death is not the worst of evils.” - General
John Stark.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
you can run all you want, and it will help you with whatever aerobic activity you have planned.

but if you wanna play basketball, nada beats getting on the court with the stop and go and cutting to get you dialed in

if you want to hump hills with a pack, the best way to prepare is hump hills with a pack.

even then ime, it's hard to fit in 8-10 hour training hikes, so I try to substitute intensity for duration. i.e. heavier pack, going straight up inclines I would normally sidehill or switch back and not using trekking poles, at least on the way up.

I also practice coming back downhill as fast as possible. it really smokes the quads

I'm pretty certain when we sing our anthem and mention the land of the free, the original intent didn't mean cell phones, food stamps and birth control.
C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
I've been loading 40#'s and hiking hills. I'm going to bump up to 50# and do some steeper hills here in the next few weeks.

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular

We have a 2.5 jeep road around our place with some elevation changes. Been loading a 60lb bag of rock salt and walking the loop in the evening. The eliptical seems to keep the blood moving, but nothig builds the shoulder and core like a pack and some vertical feet.

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Well, you guys are just showin' off now. Making me feel wimpy, I guess it's time to bump up the weight.

J
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
J
The mix and variety are great ideas, but if you are not getting enough intensity out of walking with a weighted pack, dial up the weight to 75 lbs plus. You can do hyper-intensive Tabata intervals when you really put the weight to your legs and core. I aim to break 100-120 lbs by late summer, and I weigh 165...I haven't found anything else quite as effective. Loading up your smaller stabilizing muscles seems to be the trick.

Ovis, I live in Evaro. I'll buy you a beer in Huson or Evaro anytime.

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
What's a Tabata interval?

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

547 members (160user, 1minute, 10ring1, 1234, 10gaugeman, 10gaugemag, 63 invisible), 2,409 guests, and 1,367 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,162
Posts18,484,348
Members73,966
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.