Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
R
rl11 Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
R
I need to get my hunting partner hooked up with a reasonably priced (college budget) pack for hauling game. Something around a hundred bucks or so.

Is it worth trying to find an internal frame pack in that price range, or would he better off buying a cheap pack frame and hooking up a cheap pack to it?

Doesn't need to be anything special, just needs to be able to handle some weight.

GB1

G
gwl Offline
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
G
craigs lists always has stuff. But if you want new go to wallmart and look at their external frame pack. It is based on the old coleman peak 1 frame. The bag may be a little noise but it is only 70 dollars or so. You could pull the bag off and put a regular day pack on it. The frame will handle a heck of a load.

KC Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

rl11:

Coleman use to make the Peak One Backpack. It has a plastic external frame that has some flexibility to it. It's not very comfortable but it can carry a lot of weight and it was cheap when it was on the market. So it should be really inexpensive now. If you can find one on http://www.craigslist.com it would be just the ticket.

KC

Wind in my hair, Sun on my face, I gazed at the wide open spaces, And I was at home.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Take a look around for a used Dana Terraplane, Osprey Crescent or Arcteryx Bora. You can snag them pretty cheap off craigslist and such.

"It's my main love for all things Ackley. Plus the dude was cool before cool was cool."

SH08
R
rl11 Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
R
Is this the one you're talking about KC?
It can really handle a load?

http://cgi.ebay.com/Coleman-Outdoor..._DefaultDomain_0&hash=item483a1741bc

IC B2

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Originally Posted by KC

It's not very comfortable but it can carry a lot of weight...

I am confused by that statement.
Add Lowe Alpine to Kenai's list of good packs to find used.

P
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
P
Used keltys and ospreys sell for 50 bucks or less on ebay all he time. I got the lil lady and myself each a kelty for 60 bucks shipped.

The view one sees is his own
Practitioner of the ancient art of skank fu
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
The peak 1 frames flex quite a bit with loads over 50 pounds. not exactly noodle like, but not far off.

Get a used 80s pack as mentioned above. It will be better than most packs you could buy new these days.

P
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
P
Originally Posted by kenaiking
Take a look around for a used Dana Terraplane, Osprey Crescent or Arcteryx Bora. You can snag them pretty cheap off craigslist and such.

Here is a crescent 110 I am selling if interested.

https://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbth..._Osprey_Crescent_110_Reduced#Post4026053

KC Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by rl11

rl11:

Those that I have seen were red, but it looks like the same thing. What can be seen of the frame is the same as what my buddy owns. The frame is made of heavy plastic that bends a little and has grooves so you can adjust the frame to fit your back. It has just one big pouch and that's good for hauling one big heavy load like an elk hind quarter.

KC

Wind in my hair, Sun on my face, I gazed at the wide open spaces, And I was at home.

IC B3

KC Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

Originally Posted by SnowyMountaineer
Originally Posted by KC

It's not very comfortable but it can carry a lot of weight...

I am confused by that statement.
Add Lowe Alpine to Kenai's list of good packs to find used.

SnowyMountaineer:

Since you asked, I'll explain my comment. I prefer internal frame packs and, on my back, they are more comfortable than external frames. I can adjust an internal frame so that it fits close to my back. That moves the center of gravity forward and means that I don't have to lean forward so much.

Rigid aluminum external frames don't flex with the body like an internal frame. But these plastic Coleman external frames seem to flex more than a rigid aluminum frame.

I have a long torso and I've owned three external frame packs and I couldn't move the shoulder strap attachment point far enough up to get a proper fit on my back. Maybe I just had packs that were just too small for me but I bought the tallest that were available.

Some packs/frames aren't built strong enough to carry a 70#-80# elk hind quarter. The plastic Coleman frame and suspension system is stronger than it looks. One of hunting buddies has carried out several elk hind quarters using his Coleman Peak One pack.

I must admit that I've been using internal frame packs for twenty-five years. I still own an external frame pack and used it about ten years ago. That trip reminded me why I switched to internal frames.

KC

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Thanks for the explanation KC, I think we're on the same page. I just didn't figure how if it's not comfortable it can "carry a load well".

KC Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

Thanks for the explanation KC, I think we're on the same page. I just didn't figure how if it's not comfortable it can "carry a load well".

SnowyMountaineer:

I didn't mean to say that it could "carry a load well". I meant that it was built strong enough carry a heavy load without breaking. Sorry about the confusion.

KC

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by KC
Originally Posted by rl11

rl11:

Those that I have seen were red, but it looks like the same thing. What can be seen of the frame is the same as what my buddy owns. The frame is made of heavy plastic that bends a little and has grooves so you can adjust the frame to fit your back. It has just one big pouch and that's good for hauling one big heavy load like an elk hind quarter.

KC

If you're packing meat, that single big bag can be an advantage. You can get a full haunch of elk in one and that plastic frame has lots of places to tie it tight.

Also check out Cabelas bargain cave. They often have some good prices there.
Their Alaskan I pack sells for about $110 and has the big single bag. It also has a shelf which is a big help when loading meat. I have one of these. It's not comfortable for regular backpacking, but it can sure haul the meat.

The single bag is a PIA, though, for backpacking. You can't ever find what you need in there without unloading the whole dang thing.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
C
CCH Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
I had a Dwight Schuh Coleman made pack years ago and did not find it to carry heavy loads well but that was my experience. Too much flex. Don't think you could break that plastic frame, but that didn't make it nice to carry weight. I don't know about a used Dana for $100, but I'd bet you could find a Lowe or Mountainsmith off ebay or Craigslist for that or less. As Evan said, stick with the older ones. You'll get more for your money as far as construction goes.

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Understood KC, thanks for the clear up.

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Lowe Alpine Contour IV
I'd put a bid in on this one.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Lowe Alpine Contour IV

$35 shipping. Be careful to not pay more than the new price when that's figured in.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
C
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
C
I use one of them coleman Peak 1 frames as a pack board. I put stainless hooks down each side of the frame and use 550 cord to lace on my elk quarters.
I wouldnt call it exactly comfortable, but it will haul 80# easy enough and its not painfull or anything.
The frame does flex quite easily, but also manages to do the job.
I wouldnt recomend it for anything but a truck bed pack board though.

Rick
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Lowe Alpine Contour IV

I've got one of those that I haven't used in years. I tried to donate it to the local Scout troop but the gentleman I spoke to was no longer involved w/Scouts. I would consider a reasonable offer.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

68 members (338reddog, AdamT204, 10gaugemag, 6MMWASP, 7 invisible), 1,672 guests, and 690 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,759
Posts18,514,954
Members74,017
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.