Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
I'm sure there is a reason to carry a handgun and not a rifle but I'll be damned if I know what it is.

"Dear Lord, save me from Your followers"
GB1

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by buffybr
... I fired one shot in the air over his head. No reaction. I fired another shot into the tree next to him. Again, no reaction. So I picked up a tennis ball sized rock, threw it and hit him. He ran off and we never saw him again.

Which brings up the question, what caliber of rock do you recommend? Should it be a magnum? Or maybe a +P? whistle

It is incumbent on every generation to pay its own debts as it goes. A principle which if acted on would save one-half the wars of the world. - Thomas Jefferson
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Well stated as usual, Dennis.

The eternal but seldomly asked question is:

How big a cartridge is necessary to make up for a bad hit?

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I would say fine for black bear....just put one behind his ear.....and NOT ok for the bigger bears. .44 mag or larger for big bear backup.

"It's sad that governments are chiefed by the double tongues." Ten Bears
NRA Benefactor LIfe Member
USCG Veteran
R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Originally Posted by 458 Lott
Fisherman killed a brown bear on the Kenai a few years ago with a 9mm. Not my choice at all, but if a 9 will do it, a 357 properly loaded will as well.

A strong 357 will push a 180 gr 1200 fps from a 4" barrel, and that'll penetrate the skull of any bear. As with any gun, you have to make the shot count.

Just remember, 95% of the people who give advice on bear guns have never even seen a grizzly or brown in the wild, under 1% of those giving advice have been uncomfortably close to one in the wild, and 0.00001% have had a DLP event.

If I remember right that guy lucked up and caught the spine and put the bear down.

Whatever a 7x57 can do a 270 can do better.

True fair chase is you in the woods buttnaked with nothing but your finger nails and teeth.

If you'e fixin' to put a hole in something, make it a hole to remember.

IC B2

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Originally Posted by AkMtnHntr
Originally Posted by bigsqueeze
Originally Posted by AkMtnHntr
I wouldn't go buying a handgun for that "just in case" moment you will probably never experience. The way I see it, your 357 is better than nothing and should that moment arrive where you need to use it, it will be at close range. Hit him with the first 5 and if that don't stop him, save the last round for yourself.

J/K of course. wink
.................The way you see it, your analogy is a brilliant piece of work!!!.......NOT!!!..................Why risk it!!!

Buying a more powerful handgun for that,,,,"just in case moment",,,,CAN SAVE ONE`S LIFE!!! And is a very cheap price to pay for added insurance against a BIG bear.

It`s those UNEXPECTED just in case moments that can suddenly arise with little to no warning, where being under-gunned can certainly get one either mamed or killed!!!!

Whether it is needed or not, buying a more powerful handgun IS worth the price for added defense on a hunt, especially if hunting alone.
I really could give 2 [bleep] if you like my analogy, I didn't write for you. Tell us how many brown and black bear attacks you've experienced. Yeah, that's what I figured, zero, nada, zilch, none. Walking through the wilderness in Alaska being paranoid about bears is no way to experience this great state. Your probably one of those guys that carries a 416 rifle and 500 SW handgun while hunting, THAT makes a lot of sense.
.........................Even though you didn`t write your viewpoint for me which I realize, it nevertheless doesn`t make your posted viewpoint immune from some healthy criticism, which by your reaction you didn`t seem to handle too well.

I experienced NO bear attacks when in Alaska several years ago on my successful big bear hunt. I didn`t own a 416 back then and don`t own one now. But I do carry a 500 S&W sidearm in big bear country. Carrying a sidearm did and does NOT make me "paranoid", nor did it eliminate or detract in any way from my great Alaskan experience. Nice try, but some wrong assumptions there on your part.

Even though the odds of a big bear attack might be one in maybe several thousand or even several million or whatever the odds may be, I nonetheless take no chances regardless of those very slim odds. Imo, which is contrary to your opinion, that makes alot of sense.

28 Nosler,,,,300WSM,,,,338-378 Wby,,,,375 Ruger

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Originally Posted by Steelhead
I'm sure there is a reason to carry a handgun and not a rifle but I'll be damned if I know what it is.

I'll be happy to explain it to you. smile

Try chopping brush with a machete, cutting firewood with an ax, or casting spinners or flies with a rifle in one hand. Doesn't work. You can sling it on one shoulder but it'll keep falling off. You can sling it across your back but then it's too slow to get to, might as well not have it. You can set it down, but then it'll be some feet away when you need it.

If you're working outdoors, or even recreating other than hunting, you need your hands free or you might as well not be there. A handgun is really the only viable option you've got.

At least, that's how it works out for me.

Tom

Anyone who thinks there's two sides to everything hasn't met a M�bius strip.

Here be dragons ...
S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
If you say so.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
If you've got enough time to unholster your pistol, you've got enough time to get that rifle off your back. Doesn't take but a second or 2.

This topic has been beaten to death and all the sound advice offered up by the locals , as per usual, goes unheeded because the so-called, "I hunted Alaska once" experts from outside know better than we Alaskans.

That's ok, I'll ass shoot a dink.

Steelhead

S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
A couple of days in Alaska and they know EVERYTHING, pretty typical of dipshitt Californians

IC B3

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
I know approximately as much about stopping bears as I do about getting along with red headed girl friends, but Phil Shoemaker wrote that his daughter sometimes carries a 357 instead of a rifle when guiding fishermen. I think Phil has seen a bear, and may even have shot at one once.

Fred

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Can a 357 stop a bear? Sure, but so can a sharp stick if the stars align right. I'm of the opinion that you can't carry enough gun, but then again, I'm just paranoid that way.
After seeing a medium size griz absorb 12 rounds from a combo of 375HH and 416 Rem, they earned my respect. I've also seen em fall over dead very quickly from one shot from an 06 though.

"243/85TSX It's as if the HAMMER OF THOR were wielded by CHUCK NORRIS himself, and a roundhouse kick thrown in for good measure."
S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
How about shooting bears that ain't charging with a 357?

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
If'n I have my druthers, I ain't ever agin shooting a bear with a 357, black bear or brown bear, chargin' or sleeping!

Last edited by Royce; 04/29/10.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I ain't never been to Alaska, but was charged once by a mother black bear with 2 cubs in New Mexico, of all places. Still here to tell the about it, but that is another story.

I know one thing...I would have felt a whole lot better that day with any 6 pound 30-30 Win carbine than I would have with a 357 in each hand.

Just sayin.

"You cannot invade mainland America. There would be a rifle behind every blade of grass"
~Admiral Yamamoto~

When the people fear their government, there is tyranny; when the government fears the people, there is liberty. ~Thomas Jefferson~
T
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
T
well if a bear is chargin I figure I can maybe get 2 to 3 rds off if I'm lucky. That said...am I THAT much better off with a shoulder shot with the 500sw vs the 357mag or 10mm ? Or at that point am I just fcked?

S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
Define shoulder shot cuzz they tend not to charge sideways. Pard managed 1 shot on a bear that charged him. Lucky he was in an open area, as it started when the bear was 70 yards away.

Forgot to mention it was a 3 legged bear also.

LUCK

T
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
T
uhh inch or two to the right or left ...just missing head lol

yeah I know I know if you don't hit head yer F'd

P
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
P
The 357 Mag is plenty!! You just cock it and shoot yourself just above the right ear. Beats having to watch Ursus Horribilus rip your guts out and crush your stupid skull.

"Never take a knife to a gunfight". Don't use a pellet gun for deer or a 357 for Griz either.

Wayne

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I know i don't live in Alaska, but I think that most people take bear defense a little bit too seriously.

Page 2 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

359 members (160user, 10ring1, 219DW, 1Longbow, 10Glocks, 12344mag, 30 invisible), 2,048 guests, and 1,128 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,124
Posts18,483,724
Members73,966
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.