Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
G
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
G
I just had a look at the REI site above. Their "foon" looks remarkably like a "spork". grin

Sorry, made me laugh.

GB1

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I like your avatar Browtine. What a great trip that must have been. I was thinking the other day that probably the best backpacking trip I've ever had was when I had the whole family out.

Just to keep this post on topic -- 2 jars of spaghetti sauce dehydrated down to something like fruit leather with a couple of ramen packets and generous helping of dehydrated ground meat makes a pretty doggone good meal for 4.

I don't mess with the "re-hydrate in a bag" deal. I use FBC style recipes, but just cook them in my pot. That lets me simmer longer or hotter if necessary to rehydrate the stuff that I've really dehydrated. It doesn't bug me to clean my one cooking / eating pot after a meal. The process is usually started by heating a mug of tea in the same pot. By the time I've eaten the pot clean and then had a mug of tea in it, there isn't much cleanup left.

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Originally Posted by evanhill
I like your avatar Browtine. What a great trip that must have been. I was thinking the other day that probably the best backpacking trip I've ever had was when I had the whole family out.

Thanks Evan. That was her first real backpack trip when she was 9. We've done three more since and I think I've got her hooked. Planning the logistics for getting the 6 year old twins out with us this summer! I just ordered a Longhunter for that trip as I'll definitely be the pack mule!

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Very intersting topic guys. I've been debating on how to make life easier in the woods when it comes to eating - even if I'm on just a day hunt. I'll definetly give some of these a try.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
my cup I drink out of is an old fashioned aluminum measuring cup, lighter than titanium and has the ounces impregnated inside the cup.

but as others have said this is a great thread. a bit time consuming, but I'm gonna try it this year for sheep hunts. my biggest challenge going in is not weight but bulk.

looks like a good way to save some bulk.

but one other tip.

I'd either take one MH meal in it's packaging, or take a clean one emptied of it's contents, with the ziplock resealable top.

use it for your cozy for your freezer bag and then put the whole shebang inside your mad bomber hat to keep it warm.

mad bomber type hat pictured, but I have lighter ones I use for sheep hunts

[Linked Image]

I'm pretty certain when we sing our anthem and mention the land of the free, the original intent didn't mean cell phones, food stamps and birth control.
IC B2

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
In a pinch (@#$&, I forgot my spoon) you can cut an oval out of the meat pouch and that makes for a decent spoon.

J
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
J
Any chance we can stick this thread?

D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
This looks like a pretty fun way to eat on the trail!

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by superdave
In a pinch (@#$&, I forgot my spoon) you can cut an oval out of the meat pouch and that makes for a decent spoon.

Or cut off chop sticks.

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

593 members (10gaugeman, 1_deuce, 17CalFan, 1Longbow, 10gaugemag, 160user, 59 invisible), 2,483 guests, and 1,341 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,188
Posts18,484,884
Members73,966
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.