Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Ruttin Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
Hey Ya'll<BR> A good friend of mine went to a gun show and walked away with a lemon.Now don't fall down laughing or anything but it was a Raptor,OK I'll wait till the laughing stops.----------------O.K.here we go with the<BR>Remington thing.<BR> He got lucky I think,and traded it and some<BR>cash and got a Model 700 in .06.Thing were<BR>trying to find out is how old this thing is.<BR> It's in fair shape,but it looks older than any 700 we've ever seen.It has a plastic butt plate with the "R" in the middle of it,<BR>has the trap door on the bottom for removing<BR>the shells and the stamped checkering on the<BR>stock instead being checkered it has what look like swirls on the forearm and pistol grip.Any thoughts on how old this Remington is.Ruttin

Take a kid huntin'and teach them well,they are our future.
GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Ruttin, I had a 7Mag that looked just like that. I bought it in 1972 from a JC Penney store (remember when they sold guns?)<BR>The early 700's, while the checkering was more than a little cheesy, were terrific rifles and good shooters. Remington actually still had some Quality control back then. As long as it has been cared for properly, it should be a great rifle. Hope he enjoys hunting and shooting with it!- Sheister

Never underestimate your ability to overestimate your ability.
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
If you can look on the barrel, just in front of the receiver, on the same side as the serial number, there should be two small letters stamped. If you can post what they are, I can give you an idea of when the barrel was made.<P>I don't think Remington will release any info on a gun, but with this barrel code you can at least have an idea. Joe.

E4E Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Ruttin,<BR>The rifle was made in the 70's as a rough estimate from the pressed checkering.<BR>It's 10 times the rifle a new one is.<BR>He done GOOD!<BR>Raptor...BAAAAD!!<BR>Pre goiter 700=Goood!!<BR>The pre-64 M70 has been joined by the Remmie crowd's pre hammer forged 700.<BR>He got a good one!<BR>Cheers!<BR>E4E

My Tractor ain't sexy!
My Rifle however, has issues with the matter.
The wife Definately ain't cornfused!
Good thing I have a Dog to come home to!!!!!!
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
E4E, when did remington start the hammer forging, and, is there any way to tell by looking at the gun, serial #, etc?

"When we put [our enlisted men and women] in harm's way, it had better count for something. It can't be because some policy wonk back here has a brain fart of an idea of a strategy that isn't thought out." General Zinni on Iraq

IC B2

W
W T Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
W
I have a pre 1980 bolt lock on safe model 700 with a hammer forged barrell in .270 win. You can easily see the spiral hammer marks on the first 10 inches if barrel in front of the reciever much like that on the steyr rifles which are not turned off. However on later non locking models can not see hammer makes which suggest they either changed the way they make barrells or took off more metal on the lathe. <P>PS 270 barrel is the bette shooter by comparison to the others I have.<P>

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
I have a Rem 700 in .30/06 which I bought new in 1972. I paid $169.95 across the counter with a canvas and imitation sheepshair bag and a box of Browning ammo. I also had the trigger problem that everyone is talking about. Have it adjusted by a "competent" gunsmith immediately. Other than that, it is one of the best rifles I have ever owned and wouldn't sell it for anything. It will be in my estate.

E4E Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
If it flies,it dies,<BR>Around 1995-97 they started to use hammer forged barrels on some models,and then phased all of them over to the hammer forged.<BR>The buttoned barrels were smoother,broke in much quicker,had a cut chamber,and rolled threads.The new hammer forged barrels,occaisionally are OK but for the most part are no where near as sweet as the older buttoned barrels.The chambers are now rough formed in the hammer forging process,as are the shank threads,and this is why so many people are finding that their chamber and barrel might not be on the same centerline.<BR>Older barrels with the spiraling do not represent hammer forged rifling,just poor finishing of the barrel blank.If it's from the early 90's or earlier it's buttoned(Factory bbl)and the spirals are from the blank forming process prior to drilling,reaming and buttoning.The hammer forged barrels can be accurate,like on SAKO,TIKKA,Styer,Lothar Walther,etc. if care is taken instead of shortcuts for production speed.<BR>Savage is the only current american riflemaker that is still using the button barrels/seperate chamber reaming process,and is part of the reason the ugly,clunkers shoot so well.Gotta love 'em for that.<BR>I have heard that there were some serious teething problems at Remmie with the first couple years of the hammer forged barrels,that are slowly getting worked out.<BR>I hope so,although I ain't the biggest Remington fan,I hate to see any of our domestics slide to below standards established long ago.I think given more time they will get a handle on things as well as Walther and Styer,and clean up their act....if one can tolerate the "Goiter" on the striker shroud.<BR>Hope this helps.E4E

My Tractor ain't sexy!
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Give Remington a call with the serial number and they will tell you exactly the year it was built.<P>I have a 1969 Rem. 700 with a blued stainless barrel in 7mag, bought it for the action but took it to the range to see how it shot and was amazed when a clover leaf appeared. I have very little use for this gun and it's ugly as sin but I'm not changing a thing or ever selling it. One more gun in the rack won't hurt.

Ruttin Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
Hey everyone thanks for all the info.<BR> He's happy as a clam just to get rid of the <BR>Raptor,but he didn't know he got that good of a trade,Thanks.<BR> But I'm stumped now whats a pre-goiter?<BR> So this has a buttoned barrel?Thanks folks<BR> I'll find out the #'s on the barrel next<BR>time I see him. Ruttin

IC B3

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
I've been fooling around with some Turkish Mausers lately and have converted several M1903 and M1938 Turks to modern calibers. I have been using Rem 700 take off barrels. I see no problem with the new barrels at all. All of the actions I have rebarreled are quite accurate.

AFP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
E4E,<P>Rem has advertised hammer forged barrels for several years--at least since the late 70s. A couple months ago, Rem e-mailed me that Custom Shop guns use button-rifles barrels, but all the rest are hammer forged (except the 710).<P>Blaine

E4E Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Blaine,<BR>The way I understood things,Remmie used the button barrels to the mid 90's on most models,and went to the hammer forged from a secondary supplier when needed.<BR>During the move from Ilion to Dixie they decided outsourcing barrels was stupid and got into the hammer forging game like Ruger did back in 91',by purchasing Terhune machines.They may have used hammer forged in the past here and there,but they have always been pridefull,and advertised the Button barrels.<BR>710?You dare speak of that rifle which was cast out of heaven here?<BR>It is odd that they decided to use button barrels on the 710 isn't it?<BR>I can't wait till you get back to the states and get your meat hooks on one of the things..The 'net will likely crash from the sheer speed and volume of your rant in disgust....<BR>I wonder if there is anyone who knows first hand which models and when exactly Remmie decided the hammmer forged issue.<BR>Possibly a serial# range?<BR>Cheers!<BR>E4E

My Tractor ain't sexy!
Ruttin Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
Hey Folks;<BR> We called Remington today with the ser.#,<BR>they said it was made in 1972 so I guess it's<BR>a good one.But when we asked the girl in customer service about the barrel she said it<BR>was hammer forged and all 700 and 721,s were,<BR>well were really confused now,we called back and talked to someone in parts and service and they said the same thing.<BR> O.K. now were really confused and got a call in to the custom shop.Anyone know what they'll say.<BR> This has gone a long way from just being glad the Raptor gone.Thanks Ya'all Ruttin

E4E Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I'll be dipped!<BR>I just knew that Remmie did the button thing!<BR>Hell,I suppose I gotta redo some thinking now!<BR>Gotta love it!<BR>E4E

My Tractor ain't sexy!
Ruttin Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
Hey E4E<BR> The custom still hasn't called us back yet.<BR> Could it be possible that when Dupont sold<BR>Remington in the 90's they also lost all the folks that really knew what was going on back then?<BR> I know theres a few years when Savage can't<BR>trace Mod.99's by their ser.#.And I know that<BR>with all the combined knowledge on this board<BR>we can't be that far off.<BR> Thanks Ruttin

T
T
I can compare yours to my 700, which the factory told me was built in 1964-the first year Rem put out the 700 in .308. ( In fact they tell me mine was probably built in Oct-just in time for hunting). The butt plate is metal but checked (really) with the name Remington near the top. The checkering is cut on the grip and foreend. If his gun is half the gun this one has turned out to be, he'll be VERY happy! Doug

J
J
Hey ya Ruttin!!! Jon Boy lives...just not in the land of the damned anymore-LOL Tell BearHunter ta swing on over here once in a while and I'll do the same!! Jon Boy say .30-06 GOOD TRADE!!! tell bud he has real mans gun now..."Raptor??? that's painfull man-LOL-OUT

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

564 members (10gaugemag, 007FJ, 1911a1, 10Glocks, 17CalFan, 63 invisible), 2,670 guests, and 1,306 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,723
Posts18,514,249
Members74,010
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.