Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
Being a Texan, I'm pro-energy but there is more to solar and wind and Canada oil sands and our Wyoming shale-oil than drilling offshore- less environmental impact.

Let's stop this offshore clusterpuck!!!!

There is a major catastrophe developing off the Gulf Coast in the form of a runaway oil spill. According to an Associated Press article, an explosion last week on the Deepwater Horizon, an oil rig operated by BP, 50 miles off the coast of Louisiana, has continued to leak oil into the Gulf without any possible success in containment. The average flow is estimated, from amounts reaching the surface and satellite pictures, to be about 210,000 to 300,000 gallons a day. The plan was to corral the oil against fire-resistant booms and burn it. Experts say that there are certain health hazards from such an effort. According to a National Oceanic and Administrative Association (NOAA) paper, oil burning generates sulfur dioxide, nitrous dioxide, as well as carbon monoxide, all of which are toxic. Polyaromatic hydrocarbons, some of which have been declared carcinogenic, are also produced but in very small amounts. According to the International Tankers Owners Pollution Federation Limited, the biggest concern in burning oil is the generation of particulates which can be redeposited on land. Coastal areas from the eastern part of Louisiana to the Florida panhandle could be affected by the 130-mile wide spill.

Crabs and oysters could be even harder hit if the spill, as expected, penetrates coastal marshland, which is more delicate and harder to clean. Oysters, in particular, could be impacted for a long time if the oil contaminates breeding grounds."I really don't know how long it's going to last," Thiels said. "There's no telling how long we could be dealing with this. It could be years. It could be forever."

GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
The real problem has to do with illegal immigrants.

Beware of any old man in a profession where one usually dies young.

Calm seas don't make sailors.
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
Yeah, that too!!!

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Don't know why they havn't capped that bitch. The equipment and technology exists.

Lowcountry Wildlife Management
Knowing Wildlife Beyond Science
[email protected]
Genesis 9;2
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A very knowledgeable friend told me years ago that oil can be safely and responsibly extracted from deepwater and north slope fields.

But BP certainly wasn't the one to do it.

Originally Posted by captain seafire
I replace valve cover gaskets every 50K, if they don't need them sooner...
IC B2

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
So you prefer China, Cuba, Russia to drill in the Gulf than Americans or British?

Somebody is going to drill in the Gulf and off shore it might as well be us.

Don't vote knothead, it only encourages them. Anonymous

"Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups." Anonymous

"Self-reliance, free thinking, and wealth is anathema to both the power of the State and the Church." Derby Dude

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Funny how this has never happened before and now it happens just when The Obamanation comes around and says he has changed his mind on off-shore drilling.

"Don't ever let a crisis go to waste!"

Things that make you go hmm....

Islam is a terrorist organization.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by BarryC
Funny how this has never happened before and now it happens just when The Obamanation comes around and says he has changed his mind on off-shore drilling.

"Don't ever let a crisis go to waste!"

Things that make you go hmm....

I don't believe in coincidence, the government had a hand in it some how.

"Self-reliance, free thinking, and wealth is anathema to both the power of the State and the Church." Derby Dude

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
tin foil time..

[Linked Image]

Originally Posted by captain seafire
I replace valve cover gaskets every 50K, if they don't need them sooner...
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I'd just like to see an explanation as to how this happened.

Could someone give me a link? Seems we are several days overdue on an explanation.

Rumors only gain traction in the absence of real information.

Islam is a terrorist organization.

IC B3

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Strick9
Don't know why they havn't capped that bitch. The equipment and technology exists.
its in 5000 ft of water easier said than done

God bless Texas-----------------------
Old 300
I will remain what i am until the day I die- A HUNTER......Sitting Bull
Its not how you pick the booger..
but where you put it !!
Roger V Hunter
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
during cementing operations, they had a pressure surge, the mud column didn't hold, the BOP failed, oil and gas hit the rig floor and was ignited. rig eventually burned up and sank, pipe string is twisted up on the botton. ROVs have been trying and failing to activate the BOP on the sea floor through a tangle of rig debris and pipe.

anybody who thinks BP isn't doing everything money can buy to get this shut in is smoking dope.

Proudly representing oil companies, defense contractors, and firearms manufacturers since 1980. Because merchants of death need lawyers, too.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
+1-- BP is desperate to shut this thing in. Their stocks are taking a hit and oil prices are gonna go up because of the associated costs for cleanup. Bad publicity and a looming moritorium. In the end it's the fellas at the gas pumps like you and me that will pay not big oil.

It is better to be judged by 12 than to be carried by 6.
C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
More kneejerk reaction BS. You could stick a windmill on every hill in America plus turn the entire state of Arizona into a solar panel and still not produce ten percent of the power required in the U.S. We either take control of our own destiny by maintaining our energy infastructure, or we fade into history like the Romans while other nations like China, Russia, and India come in and take over the oil. Like it or not the world runs on oil. No one would like to see us off of oil more than me, but that's not reality at this time. It's crucial that we invest the money developing alternative sources of energy, our "not in my backyard" approach to nuclear energy has left us in the position of being so dependent upon oil that we're in the grips of nations Saudi Arabia and Iran. These terrorist supporting thugs should have absolutely no influence upon the direction of the United States, but our lack of foresight and backbone 30 years ago has left us tied to these demons. Now because of an oil spill we've got more NIMBY's clamoring to shut down the offshore drilling industry which would leave us even more dependent upon these nations ran by thugs and despots. Idiotic.

We are our own worst enemy and thinking like this will be the destruction of our nation and life as we know it. If your grandchildren end up speaking Chinese because we allowed our nation to lose control of our energy supply and destiny over something like this then look in the mirror to see the reason. I'm sure glad that my generation wasn't in charge during WWII, we'd have been too busy pissing ourselves over the diesel fuel spilled in Pearl Harbor to ever wage a war against the Japanese.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Steve_NO
during cementing operations, they had a pressure surge, the mud column didn't hold, the BOP failed, oil and gas hit the rig floor and was ignited. rig eventually burned up and sank, pipe string is twisted up on the botton. ROVs have been trying and failing to activate the BOP on the sea floor through a tangle of rig debris and pipe.

anybody who thinks BP isn't doing everything money can buy to get this shut in is smoking dope.

Thanks for the explanation. What's BOP? I think I know what ROV---remote operated vehicle is.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
BOP is a large 21 inch Blow out preventer which can hydraulically shear drillpipe and some drill collars with Hydraulic assist. These arrangements of valves and rams are usually rated at 15,000 psi so can easily contain the formation pressure developed at 18,000 ft. They seem to have lost communication with this monster valve sitting on the bottom of the Gulf. They use a multiplex or acoustic system as backup.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Rancho_Loco
tin foil time..

[Linked Image]

Even Limbaugh suspects the Fuher in all this. He's not noted for wearing a tin foil hat.

I think why so many of us suspect the national government in conspiracy is becuase every time there is a catastrophe the national government looks on with glee knowing they can get one more legislative piece passed that will take away liberty and freedom and give the government more power and control over the serfs.

Through out history national governments have staged events to go to war and to control the serfs. This national government is no different. If this national government under this regime could stage a catastrophic event to get cap and tax (trade) passed it would.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Thanks.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
No this wreck is not one of those conspiracy things.
By the way we were speaking about the Valdez the other day. 21 years later they are still finding ducks with oil on their feathers.
There are still exists pools of oil missed by the workers or that have surfaced later.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by 378Canuck
No this wreck is not one of those conspiracy things.
By the way we were speaking about the Valdez the other day. 21 years later they are still finding ducks with oil on their feathers.
There are still exists pools of oil missed by the workers or that have surfaced later.

In Canada you maybe right but in the US our national government is so crooked that even a crooked road looks straight.

As to the problems with oil, I agree but accidents do happen no matter what we do and oil is necessary for our survival and economy.

Even those wonderful windmills cause problems even going so far as to kill birds.

I think far to many of us have become hedonists, all pleasure with no pain. Yin and Yang, pleasure and pain, is a Law of Nature. The secret of life is to balance that pleasure and pain as best as we can and move on.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

590 members (1234, 160user, 16penny, 12344mag, 10Glocks, 007FJ, 52 invisible), 2,417 guests, and 1,336 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,639
Posts18,474,443
Members73,941
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.