Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
To add some humor to the thread.

Once on waiting at the carousel for my bags and gun, I saw the rifle case come out the opening. Before it came to me a big guy walked over, picked it up and stood there. I walked over and said, you have my gun. He replied, no I don't. I said, yes you do. This went on for a minute and you could see he was getting hot. Then I saw him looking at the carousel and he started to grin.

Here came the exact same case, with the locks covered with the exact color duct tape. We both then had a laugh and apologized to each other.

Yea....He had the correct one in his hand. cry

Last edited by battue; 04/27/10.

laissez les bons temps rouler
GB1

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Just got back last week from Anchorage to Mpls., via Delta.
Had to show my boarding pass and ID both in ANC and MPLS to pickup my rifle case. Same as previous 4 trips dating back to 2002.
The only difference I saw this trip was that the case was not re-opened after I signed the affidavit and locked it back up.
In MPLS., they x-rayed the rifle case and passed me. In ANC, the TSA agent swabbed the entire perimeter of the aluminum seal and put it into a machine to read it. He said I passed.

My home is the "sanctuary residence" for my firearms.
S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
This has happened to me as well. I was also very pissed. You guys that think this is stupid haven't thought this through. If someone walks off with your rifle you'd be pissed.

Tom

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Hey, thanks for spilling the beans. Now I won't get any more new guns.

Jim
S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
Sounds like Chazgreen does not fly very much. An incident from June 2009? WTF!

Ive had good luck with Delta vs the other airines.

IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Wow! they must have fast rampers at Detroit. In ANC you could take 2 naps before the baggage even makes it to the baggage claim!

S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
Originally Posted by kid0917
Wow! they must have fast rampers at Detroit. In ANC you could take 2 naps before the baggage even makes it to the baggage claim!

Depends upon which airline you fly. Delta and Northwest? Not so much. Alaska Airlines and Continental? Different story.

And God help you if you had to change airlines somewhere Point A and Point Z.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I think your wound up about nothing.

Delta has been a gun friendly airline over the years for me. Can't say the same about Air France or KLM.

Lived just outside Detroit years ago. Detroit was a shthole then, and it has deteriorated greatly since. It's a blight on the great state of Michigan. You should expect everything not nailed down to be stolen. It's not like that everywhere.

"The Democrat Party looks like Titanic survivors. Partying and celebrating one moment, and huddled in lifeboats freezing the next". Hatari 2017

"Hokey religions and ancient weapons are no match for a good blaster at your side, kid." Han Solo
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Originally Posted by battue
To add some humor to the thread.

Once on waiting at the carousel for my bags and gun, I saw the rifle case come out the opening. Before it came to me a big guy walked over, picked it up and stood there. I walked over and said, you have my gun. He replied, no I don't. I said, yes you do. This went on for a minute and you could see he was getting hot. Then I saw him looking at the carousel and he started to grin.

Here came the exact same case, with the locks covered with the exact color duct tape. We both then had a laugh and apologized to each other.

Yea....He had the correct one in his hand. cry

Good story. Thanks!

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
One thing this thread has made me aware of, is that if I ever do hunt Alaska, I will ship my ammo ahead, and even try to ship my rifle ahead, too!

If Delta is gun friendly, thats news to me. Many bad experiences with them between my family and me. Plus Alaska A/L out of SeaTac is only one of several very bad A/L with a poor rep regarding its baggage handlers.

Fortunately I'm not going to alaska soo, but this thread is educational. grin

IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I think gun friendly or unfriendly has alot more to do with where the airport is located, then what airline you are flying.

C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
Originally Posted by 458 Lott
I think gun friendly or unfriendly has alot more to do with where the airport is located, then what airline you are flying.

I'm betting that's a very accurate assessment!

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
I've never had a problem with Alaska Airlines with firearms or meat. They held my fish in their walkin cooler at seatac when we missed our flight out. We were flying standby and 10 hrs later it was still frozen.

Guns have always been a breeze....I keep the ammo in its original box but I bring an MTM type box should a TSA agent get a wild hair.

�Politicians are the lowest form of life on earth. Liberal Democrats are the lowest form of politician.� �General George S. Patton, Jr.

---------------------------------------------------------
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
I don't understand the malfunction. Delta puts barcoded tags on every piece of luggage. Just a few days my wife's luggage didn't make it back with her. She went to the delta counter and within 5 minutes- wala! Luggage is enroute to Tallahassee. Called ahead and got somebody to intercept it and return it. If you are worried about somebody stealing your rifle at baggage claim, I say get off your duff and be the first gunner there. I have flow with rifles a bunch and don't worry.

At one with the gun.

V
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
V
Good reason to keep idiots from Detroit, in Detroit.

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Originally Posted by chazgreen
Have NEVER not had to go to airline office, present claim ticket with picture ID before being handed my firearm.

I have never had to show anyone anything to claim my bags, including firearms. Not on a trip to and from Africa or anywhere inside the USA. I have had really good experiences with the bags making it on time and in perfect condition, but no one ever checks to see that they are mine.

Brent

Save an elk, shoot a cow.
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Originally Posted by StubbleDuck
If Delta is gun friendly, thats news to me. Many bad experiences with them between my family and me. Plus Alaska A/L out of SeaTac is only one of several very bad A/L with a poor rep regarding its baggage handlers.

You said you haven't flown since 9/11 which makes this sound like a lot of pot stirring. It also appears that you have issues with several airlines, which is sometimes an indicator that it might not be them but rather you.

Myself, I have flown to Africa, Canada, and all over the continental U.S. numerous times over the past 15 years and my guns(rifles, pistols) and archery equipment(bows, arrows) are always afforded security appropriate to the respective airport being tansited.

"Everyone who receives the protection of society owes a return for the benefit." -- John Stuart Mill
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
I retired from Delta and we never had positive claim also
If you want the service for value baggage
it is available for a charge
it will be signed for at all locations and you sign for it when you pick it up. Just ship as a High value bag.
then your problem is solved, otherwise it is juat another bag.
High value bags will be hand carried to the baggage service office for you

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I've traveled with guns for many years on different airlines and it was very seldom that I would have to show ID to get my gun case. Usually they come out in the bulk luggage area. No ID needed. Nothing new.

Don't just be a survivor, be a competitor.
C
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
C
I'm sitting here in Detroit at the airport waiting for the wife to pick me up.

My two big duffles and my rifle case were on the carousel by the time I got there.

I was impressed they didn't lose any bags. As long as nothing gets stolen, I could care less where the gun case is. It was nice picking up all three in one spot.

Cope
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

580 members (1minute, 06hunter59, 222Sako, 160user, 10gaugemag, 21, 71 invisible), 2,354 guests, and 1,282 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,537
Posts18,491,409
Members73,972
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.