Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
S
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
S
aka MKBenenson. My present .375 H&H is a pre64M70 by Keith Stegall. It has lately become too valuable to take out into weather. I know, I know, we are supposed to hunt with our custom rifles and I have used this one, but not any more. I am looking at reasonably priced factory rifles and am considering the Remington 798 vs. the CZ 550 American or Safari. The Remington has a 26" barrel, which I like, and is a standard Mauser 98. Holds 4 in the magazine. The CZs, a modified (improved?) 98, are 25", like my M70, and hold 5+1. I went to Africa years ago with a Sako Safari .375, 5+1, had to shoot a buffalo 4x, all good hits, and was thankful that there were still 2 shots to spare, so I favor the CZ. I like longer barrels but 1" doesn't seem to be significant. According to comments I have read, both Rem and CZ have scratchy actions and will need slicking up. The CZ American stock, IMO, is handsomer than the Safari, but how do they handle? And how do they handle recoil? The American is also available in synthetic, a plus. I would really like an allweather stainless .375 with a synthetic stock, but don't know who makes one with a decent magazine capacity. The CZ has integral scopemount bases, a minor plus. All suggestions and advice are earnestly solicited.

GB1

S
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
S
aka MKBenenson. Both rifles are controlled round feed, which I favor.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I have recently read where some people have been having problems with CZ and their customer service taking care of the rifles problems when being sent back.

If it where me I would find another model 70 Winchester and look for the .416 Rem mag, once you try it, you will love that caliber. The recoil is not much more and it does impress those that use the cartridge.

Thank Our Veterans!
GOD Bless Them All

UNIONS BUILDING AMERICA, SALUTE ALL THE UNION TRADESMAN

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I've considered the CZ 550 in a 375 or 416, but to my hands, the pistol grip area seems bulky, YMMV. That said, I'm waiting to see how the new FN 70 Safari's feel and handle.

I never thought I'd grow up to be a grumpy old man, but I did, and I'm killin' it.
I
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I
Why not get a Model 70, either the new one they're coming out with or a fairly new (used) one from New Haven?

I think the CZ is way too heavy. I think some gunmakers try to save money by using the same barrel contour for .375, .416, and .458, with the rsult that the .375 barrel is too heavy.

Don't blame me. I voted for Trump.

Democrats would burn this country to the ground, if they could rule over the ashes.
IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I'd be tempted to buy a Remington 798, have the bbl cut back to 22" and add a good set of sights.

P
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
P
Originally Posted by IndyCA35
Why not get a Model 70, either the new one they're coming out with or a fairly new (used) one from New Haven?

I think the CZ is way too heavy. I think some gunmakers try to save money by using the same barrel contour for .375, .416, and .458, with the rsult that the .375 barrel is too heavy.

I agree. Both the CZ and the Ruger are too heavy. Ruger, and perhaps CZ, uses the same barrel contour for the 375, 416, etc. The Kimber is about the right weight, ~9.5# scoped. On Winchester's website, they list the 375 at 9#, so somewhere between the Kimber Caprivi and the CZ/Ruger. I can't wait to see one in the flesh.

The true hunter counts his achievement in proportion to the effort involved and the fairness of the sport. Saxton Pope
M
MK1 Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
M
Re: CHosing a .375H&H
Preference for the CZ. Control feed,full length action express sights integral scope dovetail with positive retention. Finally we have a 375H&H with a magazine of 5 + 1. Mine were fitted with standard rigger not set model. This applies to the the 602 model. These I regard to be better than the current model. Members of our private Big Game Club (African) have had feeding problems with 458Win Mag. 458 Lott had lesser feed problems. Makes sense action was designed for a 375H&H length cartridge. I have a 602 375H&H with a VX111 1.5-5X. My other two 602 rifles a custom 416 Rigby and a 510 Wells have moved on. Age and heavy recoil.
The 510 was my favourite regarding terminal ballistics. I always felt the 416 Rigby had a very sharp recoil and excessive muzzle blast. The 510 and 375 were great with cast gascheck loads on lesser game along with the enjoyment of irregular field target shooting.

O
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
O
The Bell and Carlson synthetic stock for the CZ 550 magnum action solves many of the problems with the 550's stock and makes for a very trim and fast(er) handling rifle. As between the two I would take the CZ. I have both a Model 70 in 375 H&H and a CZ 550 in 375 H&H and the Model 70 handles slower given its stouter barrel.

P
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
P
I took another look at the Ruger yesterday. It didn't seem as heavy as I remember. Not bad, actually, and the rear sight is better than the Caprivi's.

The true hunter counts his achievement in proportion to the effort involved and the fairness of the sport. Saxton Pope
IC B3

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Inter arms as in Whit worth made a .375H&H for years and you can find them used, they go from 550 to 1,000 bucks on the used market and I believe they are the best buy in the .375H&H market. I have a total of 6 .375H&H and love the ctg. As I said I would be hunting for a Inter arms as I have one now I use for a loaner for folks that come here for a visit. Dern fine rifle, does not hold all the shells you want, but sure is a great buy for the guy that afford the vary best. I would put a better stock on it like the McMillan but that's just me, add yes mine does have some great custom sights that make it really nice, If it was the only .375H&H I owned, I would hunt with it. And I write this without reservation.

Thus saith thr lord; Cursed be the man that trusteth in man, and maketh flesh his arm, and whose heart departeh from the lord. Jeremiah 17:5 KJV
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by 3sixbits
Inter arms as in Whit worth made a .375H&H for years and you can find them used, they go from 550 to 1,000 bucks on the used market and I believe they are the best buy in the .375H&H market.....

An underrated rifle for sure,and impossible to beat in its' price range;practically speaking pretty hard to beat in any price range....

The 280 Remington is overbore.

The 7 Rem Mag is over bore.
S
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
S
aka mkbenenson. A lot of good advice, thanks to all. Will have to check out the choices, I can probably find the 798, CZ and Ruger in the gun stores but the Mark X would be a gun show find. I have to say though, that after absorbing all the info and suggestions, I took out my Stegall M70 and admired it again. I suspect that all the contemporary factory stuff is outclassed and I will continue to risk my vintage custom in the woods, fingers crossed I don't bruise it.

W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
There are 2 Interarms on Guns International, with scopes. look real nice with iron sights as well. If I didnt have a 416 I would look at these rifles.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Personally, if I were in the market for a new 375 I've be all over the 700 XCR and or the SPS (and dump this one in a Ti take off handle).

Both of them would be cut to 23", sights removed, Talley's added, Uncle Mikes Mtn sling and most likely a 6x36 Leo with dotz.

Dober

"True respect starts with the way you treat others, and it is earned over a lifetime of demonstrating kindness, honor and dignity"....Tony Dungy
B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
Don't forget the A-bolt! grin These are three 100 yard groups I shot in the last couple of weeks with the 270gr TSX.When I shot them I had a Fujinon 3.5-10x50 on it.
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

P
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
P
If you come across a good deal on a 798, there would be no reason not to jump on it. Since Remington has ceased to be the authorized importer of the Zastava products, I think these will become tougher to find as time goes on.

Look at the EAA/USSG Z98. I believe they are the new U.S. importer for these rifles and actions. These are the same rifles, just called something else now. You can pick up one of these NIB for under $600. They come with a synthetic stock of some sort but you could easily upgrade this to wood or a McMillan/whatever you want.

I'm becoming more tolerant of intolerant people.
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by smilodon
aka mkbenenson. A lot of good advice, thanks to all. Will have to check out the choices, I can probably find the 798, CZ and Ruger in the gun stores but the Mark X would be a gun show find. I have to say though, that after absorbing all the info and suggestions, I took out my Stegall M70 and admired it again. I suspect that all the contemporary factory stuff is outclassed and I will continue to risk my vintage custom in the woods, fingers crossed I don't bruise it.

smilidon,ya can't take it with you.. smile

..and Stegall was a fabulous stockmaker who built his rifles to hunt....you could beat the hell out of it and turn it over to one of the great custom smiths out there today and they will raise out the dents,re cut the checkering, refinish and it'll be good as new.....

I have not even seen it (more's the pity!)and I'll bet sight unseen it outclasses anything commonly available today.Go forth and hunt it!

We ain't gonna live forever! wink

If you want a "beater" grab a Hawkeye in 375 Ruger...great rifle for the dough IMHO.

The 280 Remington is overbore.

The 7 Rem Mag is over bore.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

505 members (219DW, 219 Wasp, 17CalFan, 1234, 1_deuce, 1badf350, 51 invisible), 2,393 guests, and 1,112 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,455
Posts18,529,080
Members74,033
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.