Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
O
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
O
I have an ongoing infatuation with the 38 Super but haven't been able to decide if the cartridge really has anything to recommend it or if I just like it 'cause it's another old cartidge. I'd like to hear from some folks who have experience with the Super about the pros and cons. I'm a 1911 owner and know I like the package. Thanks.

GB1

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
I have a 38 Super in a Colt Lightweight Commander and it is tremendously fun to shoot. Whenever I take young folks (teenagers and twenty somethings) to the range to shoot for the first time, that is the gun they absolutely love the most. The recoil is mild, the gun comes back on target fast, and if you get some of the old Winchester Silvertip ammo the white flash of the muzzle blast is more fun than the 4th of July. After some polishing of the breach face and the feedramp it runs 100%. I don't worry about the cons of the cartridge. I figure if the Winchester Silvertips can't save my butt in a life or death situation then it is my time to go. I don;t try to reload it. I just buy some factory ammo a couple times a year when I can get it on sale and go have fun at the range. have not used it on small game, or any woodsy activities.

Get one!! smile

O
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
O
Dogger - You're a man after my own heart. That's been my line of thinking as I've considered this purchase. I have one of the Rock Island 45s and it's a keeper. I've been waffling between one of their compacts and the 38 Super. I also have a line on a Colt that has been nicely upgraded. Armscor is loading 38 Super and I've heard their 45 is good ammunition. Good reviews on accuracy, consistency, clean burn etc. May be the same for the Super and the price isn't over the top. Thanks.

P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
What's not to like? The .357 Sig is simply an attempt to recreate the .38 Super in .40 S&W guns.

I play IDPA with a .38 super Combat Commander. Hard to go wrong. I'd love to have a lightweight officers made in .38 Super.

Last edited by Planemech; 05/04/10.
V
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
V
Originally Posted by Dogger
I have a 38 Super in a Colt Lightweight Commander and it is tremendously fun to shoot. Whenever I take young folks (teenagers and twenty somethings) to the range to shoot for the first time, that is the gun they absolutely love the most. The recoil is mild, the gun comes back on target fast, and if you get some of the old Winchester Silvertip ammo the white flash of the muzzle blast is more fun than the 4th of July. After some polishing of the breach face and the feedramp it runs 100%. I don't worry about the cons of the cartridge. I figure if the Winchester Silvertips can't save my butt in a life or death situation then it is my time to go. I don;t try to reload it. I just buy some factory ammo a couple times a year when I can get it on sale and go have fun at the range. have not used it on small game, or any woodsy activities.

Get one!! smile

Amen!

Think .357 Magnum performance (or at least EASILY .38 Special +P+) in a 1911 platform.

'Splain me what's bad there, Lucy.

IC B2

O
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
O
I'm hooked.
I'll let you know when I get it. smile

V
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
V
Trust me, if hillbillybear had been more with it and faster in draggin' his ass back to a shop, I'd have one by now myself.

O
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
O
Hey guys - I've been meditating....I'm looking at 2 Rock Islands. I notice Taurus is also making their 1911 version in 38 Super. Their sights are a little better than the Rock. I'm inclined to think the Taurus looks kinda pimped up but the plain blue one is ok. Just wish the muzzle end of the slide wasn't grooved. Anyone have experience with the Taurus?

P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
In .45 yes. It's a fine gun. Seriously 4000 rounds or so through the thing, it's accurate and runs as good as any.

O
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
O
Planemech - Thank you. I'll look at one.

IC B3

V
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
V
I'd love to have one of the RIAs in the factory nickel finish.

Deck with a set of high gloss, highly figured burl grips... INSTANT top-shelf Mexican barbeque gun.

D
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
D
38 Super is a great cartridge. My wife qualified with my grandfather's for her CHL. Right now I have a MK IV Series 70 at the gunsmith being tricked out for her. Only problem with the 38 Super is ammo availability it is not plentiful everywhere like 9mm, 40 S&W, 45 etc.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~

“Fear thou not; for I am with thee: be not dismayed; for I am thy God: I will strengthen thee; yea, I will help thee; yea, I will uphold thee with the right hand of my righteousness.”
ISAIAH 41:10
I
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I
A buddy had a Witness in 38 Super. We shot factory in it until we acquired enough brass and then reloaded. Nothing but praise for the platform and the cartridge.

The 9mm wants to be a 38 super when it grows up!

People who choose to brew up their own storms bitch loudest about the rain.
O
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
O
Originally Posted by VAnimrod

Deck with a set of high gloss, highly figured burl grips... INSTANT top-shelf Mexican barbeque gun.

I can't handle a stainless/gold or nickel/gold version. Just over the top for my tastes. However, I am finding myself looking too long at the nickel Rocks thinking, hmmmmmm.....

Having decided to do this, I'm going to try some Armscor and Aguila ammunition. I am shooting 45acp Aguila and it's good ammunition. bought quite a lot of it a while back at a very good price.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I like the cartridge - I had both a Colt GM in the Super and a Springfield Mil-Spec in the cartridge. Both guns ran flawlessly.

The Springer had a neat point in that it was a ramped barrel, which is a good deal if you handload. The Mil-Spec version was also a little looser than most of the Trophy/Loaded models I've handled, and it didn't jam, period. It would even feed low-powered .38 ACP loads.

I'd say the Super is not a .357 mag, nor even a 10mm, but it is a good round, very flexible and easily a good defense load.

"...the designer of the .270 Ingwe cartridge!..."

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
I've never had a flirtation with the Super. Don't know why really, except that the platform seemed too large for the cartridge. It's all about scale for me. I have thought about one of those Nickel RIAs in .38 Super so I could feel some solidarity with my "mehican" brothers to the south and satisfy my bandito longings with pearl grips and a plate of frijoles.

Knew a sheriff's deputy who carried a 1911A1 in .38 Super back in the 70s. Worked well for him one dark night on the streets. Bad guy dropped like a sack of sand. It's all relative.

Dan

"It's a source of great pride, that when I google my name, I find book titles and not mug shots." Daniel C. Chamberlain
R
RJM Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
.38 Super...probably would have THE semi-auto pistol cartridge of all time if Colt/Browning had not screwed up and made the original barrels with a chamber with the cartridge that headspaced on the case rim like the parent cartridge the .38 Auto instead of on the case mouth like the already in existence .45 Auto.

http://forums.1911forum.com/showthread.php?t=182030

But this is no longer a worry unless you buy a Colt made before 1990 as they and probably the Spanish Llama were the only ones made this way.

I've been shooting reloading for and carrying .38 Super since 1980. can't say enough great things about the round. And with many 1911s a change of just a barrel and magazine one can shoot 9x19 and 9x23 Winchester...

Bob

If you can not deal with reality, reality will deal with you....
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna

Messican's go in more for MOP or Eagle and Snake ivories. Trust me on this one.

R
RJM Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
Originally Posted by ColeYounger

Messican's go in more for MOP or Eagle and Snake ivories. Trust me on this one.

..you forgot the sterling silver....

If you can not deal with reality, reality will deal with you....
O
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
O
RJM - Thank you for the good thread. I am assuming the Rock Island barrels (and the Taurus) do not have the headspace problems. I have seen no reference to headspace issues with either of those two pistols in my reading to this point and therefore should be able to expect very good accuracy - comparable to my 45s.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

575 members (007FJ, 17CalFan, 160user, 12344mag, 16penny, 01Foreman400, 62 invisible), 2,434 guests, and 1,229 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,655
Posts18,493,483
Members73,977
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.