Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
D
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
D
My sixth grade son was given a research assignment to show how humans can 'save the earth.'

He told the teacher that he thought "hunting" would be a good topic. Now he has to do the research, so I thought this would be a good place to start.

In what ways do you think hunting is good for the environment, and why?

GB1

byc Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
i would consult with gus. he has a wealth of information around these sorts of questions.

Proud to be a true Sandlapper!!

Go Nats!!!!

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I disagree that the Earth needs saving, but that doesn't help.

I'd say that hunters dump enormous amounts of money into conservation...RMEF, NWTF, etc. Hunters sponsor those groups so they'll have good hunting.

That doesn't explain how hunting directly impacts, but fits the spirit of what he's doing.

Originally Posted by SBTCO
your flippant remarks which you so adeptly sling
I
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I
Your son is in 6th grade,right? Hell, I'd have Gus write it.

The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails.
William Arthur Ward

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I'd be jumping down the teacher's throat for putting things in such a form. "Saving the earth?" Again, does it need to be saved? And that's a question for older kids.

Education, my patootie.

Up hills slow,
Down hills fast
Tonnage first and
Safety last.
IC B2

G
Gus Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
well, the first thought is that hunting has to be bifurcated between food hunting and sport hunting.

but, that will just serve to divide the constituency. yes. it's pretty deep, actually.

but, your son has selected a worthy topic, for sure.

it's one that likely no one will ever completely agree. but at least he needs to deliver a message/report to the classroom.

one thing is, that hunting is an important part of the economy.

another part, is that from the begining, hunting kept villages and groups well-fed through the winter time, and other seasons, and so was a necessisty.

the folks now want to talk about habitat, and annual sustainable production.

it's a deep subject. your son bit off a great hunk to chew. i wish him well in his endeavors and reports to the remainder of the class.

i hope i haven't muddied the waters here, that certainly wasn't the intent.

good luck as the research report moves forward.

byc Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
there you go. gus you are the man!!!

Go Nats!!!!

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I would add that eating wild game is free of unnatural additives which lead to allergic reactions and all sorts of human ailments. Free range or harvested game is free from all growth hormones, stabilizers, preservants etc thus providing a healthier individual capable of handling everyday problems.

I would also add that the hunter is the one who cleans his game thus ensuring that no contaminants are introduced through poor packaging protocols of mass manufacturing.

I would further add as mentioned above that hunters provide the eyes and ears of conservation as they frequent the habitats and often are the ones who see problems arising within the ecosystems before any one else.

It is widely known amongst hunters but few others that populations left unmanaged typically overpopulate and eventually fall prey to vast disease and starvation which allows for even further spreading of disease through the deceased to the living. The hunter via harvesting species actually manages the population to a sustainable level for the particular carrying capacity of its habitat.

Hunters as mentioned also contribute tons of economic dispersements to not only the environment but also the economy.

I would lastly add that families who hunt together stay together and tend to maintain family values, morals and ethics thus ensuring a stronger family unit. These family units respect the environment for its offerings and therefore will protect said environment and its species.

Last edited by Strick9; 05/04/10.

Lowcountry Wildlife Management
Knowing Wildlife Beyond Science
[email protected]
Genesis 9;2
J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Hunting fees/licenses contribute to conservation projects and studies.

Memberships/contributions to hunting organizations such as the RMEF preserve habitat for the benefit of all species within an eco-system.

Hunting can be regulated to contol species populations to a balanced level throughout an ecosystem.

Utilizing uncontrolled means (wolves) can lead to wild swings in population balances and unstable ecosystems.

Hunting and securing meat will use less fuel than it takes raise, process, and deliver meat products in our carbon intensive agricultural system (assuming carbon contributes to global warming) Global warming aside, less fuel burned is less pollution which is a leading cause of athsma.

There are lots of good topics to include, while the title may be a bit dramatic, sounds like good platform for your son to collect his thoughts on the benefits of hunting.

Wanted: Vintage Remington or Winchester hats, patches, shirts. PM me if you have something.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Great point!

per jryyoung

"Hunting and securing meat will use less fuel than it takes raise, process, and deliver meat products in our carbon intensive agricultural system (assuming carbon contributes to global warming) Global warming aside, less fuel burned is less pollution which is a leading cause of athsma"

Lowcountry Wildlife Management
Knowing Wildlife Beyond Science
[email protected]
Genesis 9;2
IC B3

T
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
T
Bifurcated??? Geez, Gus. I did that once in a public place, and they told me to leave or I'd be arrested. blush

"Keep thy heart with all diligence; for out of it are the issues of life." (Prov 4:23)

Brother Keith

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
There's no way raising a calf in my backyard and butchering it at 400 pounds is better for the enviroment than me driving 12 hours, and back, to shoot a 150# deer.

Originally Posted by SBTCO
your flippant remarks which you so adeptly sling
Campfire Kahuna
Online Happy
Campfire Kahuna
I just don't care about 'saving the earth'. I hunt to eat, and 'cause it's fun.

Sam......

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Originally Posted by Bluedreaux
There's no way raising a calf in my backyard and butchering it at 400 pounds is better for the enviroment than me driving 12 hours, and back, to shoot a 150# deer.

I think you mean this:
There's no way driving 12 hours, and back, to shoot a 150# deer is better for the environment than raising a calf in my backyard and butchering it at 400 pounds.

I would agree 100%, but most don't raise their own meat. Most need it done for them, processed for them, shipped across the country for them so they can make 80 trips to the store for that same 400lbs of meat (assuming they purchase 5lbs per trip) or 30 trips for the equivalent of a 150lb deer.

Wanted: Vintage Remington or Winchester hats, patches, shirts. PM me if you have something.

G
Gus Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Originally Posted by Mannlicher

two stories, and two answers, as we move forward.

eastern whitetail deer are quite the quarry, given a proper procedure to best capture them. once they begin to overpopulate, and eat the hosta lilies, they become pests, do they not??

it's a serious subject, Trophy hunters, and folks who feel like the deer are becoming vermin?

Vermin??

big cities, the suburbs, and the countryside? should there be three sets of laws to deal with the extranitices?

just remember, while eastern whitetail deer are the subject, what about the Blackbears, trying to remain a sustainable population???

living with blackbears, what a concept? sorry, off subject. wink

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by isaac
Your son is in 6th grade,right? Hell, I'd have Gus write it.

OH THAT'S MEAN!........ shocked

Casey

Casey

Not being married to any particular political party sure makes it a lot easier to look at the world more objectively...
Having said that, MAGA.
A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A

That's what I like about you--you're so philosophical about things.........

Casey

Casey

Not being married to any particular political party sure makes it a lot easier to look at the world more objectively...
Having said that, MAGA.
byc Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana

Sam, I agree with second part of your post BUT I do indeed care about saving the Earth. I have 2 (soon to be 3) generations of family behind me who deserve the same quality of life and enjoyment of this same Earth that I've experienced. I believe the mountains, oceans, lakes, rivers, forests, flat lands, piedmonts and bays are all worth saving. Heck I even believe the people are worth saving. All which make up Earth. God save us all if we forsake what is given.

I have to believe that somewhere inside you feel the same. If not, that's disappointing.

David

Last edited by byc; 05/04/10.

Go Nats!!!!

V
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
V
PM sent, DakotaDeer.

G
Gus Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Originally Posted by VAnimrod
PM sent, DakotaDeer.

if we're true hunters and fishermen, that means we're transparent, pretty much.

just tell us, as group, what you think, ok?

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

447 members (06hunter59, 17CalFan, 19rabbit52, 160user, 163bc, 1lesfox, 43 invisible), 2,779 guests, and 1,131 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,655
Posts18,533,871
Members74,041
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.