-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I can't even begin to start. Just look around, and one will find enough to fill a month.

1Minute
GB1

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I have this area as the trip of the year too. Mentioned above are a few places not to visit because they are tourist holes. Thanks for the heads up. I knew Jackson was not my cup of tea, but didn't know that about Cody.

What towns are worth visiting?

Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Thanks for the suggestions. Any more suggestions from the weekday crowd?

K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
Another thing, Ask the photographers where and what is going on. They know and share more than the rangers. it seems like the rangers plead ignorance so that they don't have too many people to disperse.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
We loved Jackson Hole. It may be a tourist trap, but it was very good to us. The total for two nights at the Motel 6 with two beds, fridge, and micro, was $94. One old dude (senior) and two 16yr olds (under 18 free). The boys had mountain bikes. If you have teen children, the mountain slides are paid by the day. Ride the lift up and slide down. Probably too late to get decent reservations in Yellowstone. We stayed just outside the North Gate in Montana one night. A Parks Pass is essential to travel there. Advice for Cody, WY. Wait til 5:00 PM to make reservations, and you may sleep in your car. Life is good.

Last edited by croldfort; 05/05/10.
IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
World Wildlife Art Museum, 1 mile north of Jackson. Great paintings and sculptures, all of wildlife. etc. I'm not much for art museums, but this one shouldn't be missed.

National Museum of Wildlife Art

Sycamore

Originally Posted by jorgeI
...Actually Sycamore, you are sort of right....
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Ramblin,

My suggestion would be to spend Sunday morning in the Jenny Lake area. Check out the Sunrise as it hits Grand Teton, Middle Teton and Mount Owen. I'm not sure if Jenny Lake Lodge will be open yet in May but they do have a view and a place to get a cup of coffee.

Monday I would travel to Yellowstone. I would see if Old Faithful Lodge has any availability for Monday night. The Firehole should be fishing well in Late May and it is always fun to fish among the Geysers and Bison. Although I can say I have never seen a Bison while I was fishing in the Firehole. On Monday check out Old Faithful, Castle Geyser, and the Beehive. There is a nice board walk around all the Geysers and shouldn't be overly busy on a Monday and Tuesday this early in the season. After you have checked out Old Faithful head North to the Madison and then East to Norris and Canyon Village. Make sure you and wife check out the Falls of the Yellowstone. Afterwards I would drive South aloong the Yellowstone to Fishing Bridge. It is along this road I have seen the only 2 Grizzly's I have seen in the lower 48. Fishing Bridge and Lake Lodge are worth a stop. Again, I'm not sure Lake Lodge will be up and running. Travel South along the Lake to West Thumb and you will be back at the junction for Old Faithful. There will be several places along the road today to check out some of the Thermal activity such as hot springs and pots or mud pots. Just look for the steam. This would be a good first day in Yollwstane and would hit several of the highlights.

Tuesday I would branch out a bit. Head to Mammoth Hot Springs or travel to West Yellowstone. Mammoth Hot Springs is interesting and Historical and should have plenty of water running in the Hot Springs early in the season. The boardwalk is easy to navigate. I would then drive east along the Lamar valley to Tower Falls and then south back to the lake. This would take you through the majority of the park in 2 days. The only change I would make would be if the StoneFlies were coming off the Henry's Fork. If you are a fisherman, this hatch can be epic. I hit it several years ago in early June and it was amazing. I don't think the Harriman Ranch stretch would be open yet.

I hope this help. If you have any question, just let me know.

ddj

Many men go fishing all their lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after. - Henry David Thoreau

The best part of hunting and fishing was the thinking about going and the talking about it after you got back. - Robert Ruark
A
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A
Another vote for the Hayden Valley. It's along the Yellowstone River just after it leaves the lake. Go in the late afternoon and stay till dark. You have a good chance to see huge herds of buffalo and/or elk.

and what does the Lord require of you but to do justice, and to love kindness, and to walk humbly with your God? (Micah 6:8)

d.v.

Musings on TDS
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
you should have no problem filling your day with things to do in the Grand Teets. Don't even bother going to Yellowstone unless you have a full day to do so and you still won't scratch the surface. Its a long trip from Jh and if planning a day trip up there, leave at 6am or earlier and be prepared for a long day, car jams looking at wildlife and RV'rs. In Jh, Nora's Fish Creek Inn for breakfast is a good way to start your day or a breakfast burrito from Down on Glen (DOG). The Virginian Bar isn't a bad place to end the day either. Westbank Anglers runs a good fishing operation along with Snake River Anglers. If the Salmon flies are coming off, make the drive to the Henry's fork and float with a guide. Another vote for the Wildlife Art Museum too.

Protect WYDAHO fish and game, fence out Utah.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
The only time we ever went to the Tetons and Yellowstone at the end of May (hint) was when we were still swamplanders, and we thought that time of year was summer. We learned that it was barely spring, and that there was a lot of snow. I wouldn't plan on covering too much ground, whether on foot or in a vehicle.

"Don't believe everything you see on the Internet" - Abraham Lincoln
IC B3

R
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
R
If you want to have dinner in the resturants make reservations. If you want to see critters get up before light. Rick

The man who loves other countries as much as his own stands on a level with the man who loves other women as much as he loves his own wife. ~ Theodore Roosevelt
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

555 members (10gaugemag, 1beaver_shooter, 2500HD, 222ND, 257 roberts, 222Sako, 68 invisible), 2,598 guests, and 1,275 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,692
Posts18,534,541
Members74,041
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.