Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
R
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
R
I will be moving to Saint Paul this summer and will be looking for places to hunt grouse within (hopefully) a 2 hour or so drive. Anybody have a feeling for how far I need to go to get into some decent grouse huntng with a dog in either MN or WI? Any other advice you can share? Thanks in advance.

Last edited by ralphbeagle; 05/09/10.
GB1

R
Campfire Ranger
Online Sleepy
Campfire Ranger
R
I grew up in NW WI but now live in WA. I return every year to bow and grouse hunt at home. Do a search for public land in NW WI . 1000's of acres and plenty of birds. As you know grouse populations are cyclical. Usually will see some woodcock too.
PM for more detailed info

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular

Grouse and Timberdoodles are both at a population peak right now, so you're in luck. 2.5 hours can get you into a lot of prime territory in both states. Good hunting on public lands in Chippewa, Taylor, Rusk, and Price counties in WI. On the MN side you're probably going to have to travel a little further north. The Blackduck area of Chippewa National Forest has some really good grouse hunting. For mixed bird field hunting, think south. Fillmore, Mower, Olmstead counties.

...new laws were most numerous when the commonwealth was most corrupt. ~ Publius Cornelius Tacitus
R
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
R
Could you explain what you mean by 'mixed bird field hunting'?
Thanks.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I should have written that better..
Weekend hunts where you can hunt field terrain for ringneck pheasants and woods for ruffed grouse and woodcock.

...new laws were most numerous when the commonwealth was most corrupt. ~ Publius Cornelius Tacitus
IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I think the whitewater area by rochester,mn would be one place to go,although rather crowded.
Almost anywhere up north in the forested region of minnesota is good for grouse and woodcock,but there are fewer pheasant there.

Last edited by fluffy; 05/09/10.

[the member formerly known as fluffy}
N
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
N
Chippewa national forest in mn is a great place to go to see grouse,plenty of room to hunt.. Blackduck area is good but further of a drive... I think for some decent hunting area you might have a 3 hour drive from St.Paul....

pm me if you want i hunt by Longville maybe can help you out...

T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
aaahhh yes, the famous east/west grouse, gang battles. grin

I've hunted both areas. Most years I'll give it to MN, but I've seen quite a few more birds in WI the last couple. That is not the norm for me.

Camp is where you make it.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by noduck
Chippewa national forest in mn is a great place to go to see grouse,plenty of room to hunt.. Blackduck area is good but further of a drive... I think for some decent hunting area you might have a 3 hour drive from St.Paul....

pm me if you want i hunt by Longville maybe can help you out...
I hunt by Whipholt,about 10 miles from Longville.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Fluffy.
The wife and I spent our honeymoon up there. Had our first dinner out as a married couple at Patrick's in Longville.

I love that area.

IC B3

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Head up to Superior National Forest for the weekend. Lots of motels to stay at or camping grounds. Get the printed map from the USFS here.

Superior National Forest

This some of the best ruffed grouse habitat in the USA and it is practically all public land.

T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
Damnit! you're giving away my spots. grin

That will be about a 5 hour drive, but if you stay for a weekend, it will probably be worth it. You'll get more birds if you walk the trails instead of drive like most of the 612ers that go for the weekend.

They'll be less spooky if you walk too, atleast in the Superior Nat. Forest.

R
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
R
Thanks for all of the info. Does anyone know anything about hunting on the state forests over by the St Croix River (I believe the St Croix and Chengwatana State Forests). Also, I intentionally didn't ask this in the original post to see if anyone would bring it up, but how much is there to worry about with respect to wolves going after dogs? This seems to be an issue up around Grand Rapids (MN). On the UP (Michigan), the conventioal wisdom seems to be put a beeper on 'em, keep 'em within 50 yards and you're not likely to have a problem. There have been a lot of bear dogs taken, but few if any bird dogs with a beeper on 'em. Any places you would avoid because of wolf issues? Thanks again.

O
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
O
If you go up to Bayfield or Douglas counties in NW WI there has been quite a few grouse the last couple of years & a good bit of public land, too. Wolves are a real concern. Keep the dogs close. Bear hunters are losing a BUNCH of dogs.

You surely don't have to worry much about the dogs jumping many deer...

"The Bigger the Government, the Smaller the Citizen" - Dennis Prager LINK

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
mn dnr grouse info

If I was going to hunt with dogs,I would definitely want them trained well enough to stay close.The thing with bear dogs is,they range pretty far away from the hunters.

T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
The bear dogs is where you'll have the most trouble because of the distances they cover, and they're running right through the woff's house.

You should be a lot closer to the bird dog. Not to say it won't happen, as we know it certainly can. Reports I've heard are that the Grand Rapids area is not nearly as good for grouse as it has been in the past. I can't give an accruate report though, I've never hunted it.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Aileinduinn
Fluffy.
The wife and I spent our honeymoon up there. Had our first dinner out as a married couple at Patrick's in Longville.

I love that area.

I had (almost)free range of the area between Walker and Longville when I was a youngster,damn near the entire 15 x 10 miles of national forest between Hwy 371 on the west and Longville on the east,Leech lake on the north and 84 on the south.
It's kind of spoiled me on hunting small parcels of land anywhere else ,we used to,and still do,roam over hundreds of acres every day,whether grouse hunting ,or deer hunting,or even fishing,there must be dozens of lakes to chose from in that area.Hackensack used to advertise 120 lakes in a ten mile radius.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
You don't have to worry about wolves going after your dogs or you getting attacked by wolves. Plenty of deer around to keep them busy. My family has had a place about 30 miles north of Two Harbors since 1962. So, I am very familiar with the area. I have seen wolf sign occasionally but have never seen one myself. They tend to avoid people in that area. I have walked to and from my hunting stands many times in the dark and never had a problem.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by tzone
Damnit! you're giving away my spots. grin

That will be about a 5 hour drive, but if you stay for a weekend, it will probably be worth it. You'll get more birds if you walk the trails instead of drive like most of the 612ers that go for the weekend.

They'll be less spooky if you walk too, atleast in the Superior Nat. Forest.

Three million acres is a pretty big hot spot. grin grin grin

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Unfortunately, many Twin City hunters have the same idea as you.

My Brother-in-law lives in Woodbury, MN and believes the 3 hour drive to Prentice, WI in Price County is worth the drive to hunt Ruffed Grouse. I agree and drive 4 1/2 hours to meet up with him.

You're Welcome At My Fire Anytime

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

574 members (10gaugeman, 10Glocks, 12344mag, 1badf350, 1moredeer, 160user, 65 invisible), 2,503 guests, and 1,292 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,809
Posts18,516,406
Members74,017
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.