-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I've had a WM Dakota, Antelope and currently have two Versalite's in the house. I won't own another make of bag.

“Perfection is Achieved Not When There Is Nothing More to Add, But When There Is Nothing Left to Take Away” Antoine de Saint-Exupery
GB1

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Brad,

How do you like those Versalites?? I'm 5'9 160. Do you think there is enough space to sleep and not be mummified wink I like a good fit bag just not constricting.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
AL, I love mine. I'm 5'10"/160... the Versalite has a 62" chest girth which works well for me, not too constricting.

“Perfection is Achieved Not When There Is Nothing More to Add, But When There Is Nothing Left to Take Away” Antoine de Saint-Exupery
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Another vote for the Vesalite. I love mine.

"It's my main love for all things Ackley. Plus the dude was cool before cool was cool."

SH08
W
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
W
Bigwhoop, did you ever purchase a bag? You received some great recommendations on bags.

Thanks,
Rudy
www.windedbowhunter.com

Last edited by WindedBowhunter; 07/23/10.

Keep the wind in your face!
Certified NASP & Explore Bowhunting Instructor
APA Archery, Victory Arrows, Hamskea, Stokerized ProStaff
IC B2

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Originally Posted by Brad
Marmot's claim of 850ci down was/is largely BS (as was proven several years back in lab tests).

If you want a top of the top drawer bag there are two choices... Valandre or Western Mountaineering. WM is USA made so that's what I choose.

Marmot and Montbell bags are excellent but are Chinese made... I prefer my money to go state-side when possible.

+1; If you expect higher humidity, rain etc, then definitely go with the Western Mountaineering Antelope with Gore Windstopper (GW) outer shell; otherwise, they also have a line of bags without the GW, versalite being one example. They are all excellent.

If you must choose the Valandre, I recommend the Mirage or Bloody Mary for your purposes, keeping in mind that it provides lower moisture protection but enhanced breathability over any GW fabric.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by HighCountry46
WM Antelope here.

I love my Antelope, but, alas, it is too narrow in the shoulders.
frown
That is what happens when you buy stuff over the internet sometimes!
laugh

"For joy of knowing what may not be known we take the golden road to Samarkand."
James Elroy Flecker

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Big whoop you didn't state your height weight. I'm 6'3 and 230 lbs....Badger fits with room to move...My favorite 15 deg. bag.

B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
I love my Badger also. Great bag!!!!

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Marmot's claim of 850ci down was/is largely BS (as was proven several years back in lab tests).

Any links to those tests?

Nothing here supports your claim: Marmot Helium

From Marmot's website: The Helium features certified 850+ Fill Goose Down the best weight to warmth down in the market; independently tested and certified by International Down and Feather Laboratory in Salt Lake City, Utah. Retested at fill time in Santa Rosa to ensure 850+ fill power every time. EN Tested

International Down and Feather Laboratory

Marmot and Montbell bags are excellent but are Chinese made

Not entirely:

From Marmot: Filled and Finished in Santa Rosa, California

Everyone I know who owns a Marmot Helium has been satisfied. Plenty of positive reviews as well.

Just pointing this out for the masses here.........

MtnHtr

IC B3

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O

If you want a top of the top drawer bag there are two choices... Valandre or Western Mountaineering. WM is USA made so that's what I choose.

Marmot and Montbell bags are excellent but are Chinese made... I prefer my money to go state-side when possible.

--------------------------------------------------------------
Right on Brad .

Western Mountaineering all the way for me -40* Mitylite and 25* Sycamore MF.

PRESIDENT TRUMP 2024/2028 !!!!!!!!!!

Posted by Bristoe
The people wringing their hands over Trump's rhetoric don't know what time it is in America.
M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Yep, he's right on.........

MtnHtr

H
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
H
I would love to have one of the WM over stuf bags with Goretex. Do you ever have anycondensation issues? I will never use a bivy sack again for this reason.

I hate Chineese made stuff and they may be off on the 850 or whatever, but have you used one? I got mine for $220 with REI rebate and to say it is junk is ignorance at best. Not a pissing match just love when some one has brand whatever and makes these claims. It is a nice bag for the price!

Good Shooting!
M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
I have a Marmot Arroyo and its been a great bag. I use a syn bag with my Ti goat bivy and no issues there so far.

I like US made products as much as most folks but sometimes the quality is not always there.

I never posted WM is a better or less bag, I thought I might learn something about Marmot's failed lab tests on bags. The older reviews on the Helium are solid as well. Maybe they got cheap and then wisened up? I'm sure thats the answer we'll receive.

MtnHtr

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Actually Stacey, I mis-spoke (I tend to go by memory, not google-ninjary)... Marmot made initial claims of 900 ci down for the bags (not 850 ci) when they first appeared around 2004-2005... after it was revealed how they were arriving at the 900 ci figure (as I recall lot of drying and retesting was involved), they dropped the figure to 850 ci., which is where it stands now.

Like I said, excellent Chinese made bags. No matter how you parse "made" or "inhale", they're Chinese made. Western is owned by the same folks who owned them 30 years ago, and still US made.

My Marmot Zeus Vest and Jacket are both Chinese made, as is my sons Marmot bag. I had a 1982 made Marmot down bag that was US made, as did my wife, but that was years back before Marmot had been sold and resold several times to larger corps.

I still have a US made Marmot Goretex jacket that is going strong.

Can't recall, were you backpacking seriously in 2004 when Marmot first announced the 900 ci fill or did you take it up more recently?

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M

Actually Stacey, I mis-spoke (I tend to go by memory, not google-ninjary)...

Nope, you posted some BS about Marmot on this thread and when called to back it up you put your usual spin on it.

MtnHtr

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Wow, same thinned skinned little man you've always been... pretty hard to understand getting 900 and 850 ci's mixed up over 6 years huh?

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Here ya go Staci, did some google ninjary you're so good at...

http://outside.away.com/outside/gea...m-EQ&gear_id=146&action=showgear

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
More google-ninjary Stacey... following your lead, I'm getting sorta good at this.

Even in 2005 Marmot was claiming 900 ci down fill... which was later reduced to 850ci's when it was challenged by others in the industry...

http://web.archive.org/web/20051004002509/www.marmot.com/headlines/index.php?anchor=55#55

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
More spin from Brad, and typical name calling in Bradley fashion. The link does not prove anything.... you got called out and came up empty as usual.

Try another gasp, you have a few straws left I take it.

MtnHtr

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

80 members (7mm_Loco, 406_SBC, 257robertsimp, AdventureBound, 13 invisible), 1,631 guests, and 858 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,324
Posts18,526,464
Members74,031
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.