Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
C
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
C
I did the search and couldnt find much. I'm looking for options for a setup like the Giga power stove and fuel canister nested in a Snow Peak 24 oz titanium pot.

I curently have the older model Jetboil and am looking for a similar setup (fuel and stove nested), but preferably lighter, and maybe a bit smaller.

I almost exclusively heat 1 or 2 cups of water for freeze dried foods.

It would be a welcome pluss if the stove/canister can nest while the stove is still mounted on the canister.

Rick
GB1

O
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
O
Have you looked at the new JetBoil Flash? If all you're into is boiling water for freeze dried foods, hard to go wrong with the JetBoil.

The new Flash has some upgrades from the original version. I'd be happy to share my experience with it if you are interested.

I'm sure others will chime in soon as well.

O
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
O
I don't know the answer but having a lot of time with the sp giga/ti pot combo I agree that the ability to put them away still attached is a nice feature.

I'm currently using the JB flash for my canister stove and it's a boat anchor but the insulation that comes on the pot sure is nice and I like the temp gauge as well.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
How bout a giga and a MSR titan kettle?

[Linked Image]

"It's my main love for all things Ackley. Plus the dude was cool before cool was cool."

SH08
D
D
The snowpeak mini solo cookset is really nice.
http://www.backcountrygear.com/catalog/stovedetail.cfm/SN2300
Take the little cup that normaly nests on the bottom of the pot, invert it and place it on top. store the lid on top of that or on the bottom. If you do that, You can store the gigapower stove assembled on a canister inside (Just tried it and it works). Don't have the original stuffsack handy, but you might need a slightly longer one to hold everything together.

Of course, if you remove the stove from the canister they will store inside normally. You can also omit the small cup and store the lid on the bottom. The assembled stove only sticks out about 1/2 inch out of the pot and would be held in place by the stuffsack.

If you don't mind removing the stove from the canister for storage, the absolute lightest/most compact setup is a snowpeak 600ml titanium cup (2.8 oz).
http://www.backcountry.com/outdoorgear/Snow-Peak-Titanium-Single-Wall-Cup-600/SNO0022M.html
it will boil 2 cups of water. For storage, the stove goes in first, then an upside down snowpeak canister will fit over that and will go all the way in except for the lip at the bottom of the canister. Make a simple foil lid for the cup.

Last edited by Dan_G; 05/13/10.
IC B2

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Maybe it's just my bad luck, but I had the valve on a propane lantern get turned-on when left hooked-up to the cylinder inside a pack. The hissing noise scared the crap out of me. Ever since, I disconnect the two, as a spark could happen from two pieces of cloth rubbing together. YMMV Tim.

C
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
C
I've never had my Jetboil valve leak or accidentaly get turned on. What does fairly often happen though is that after the stove is removed from the fuel canister the canister will leak.

You cant hear this leak, but if you put the canister under water, or just put water on top of it, it will bubble.

But out of all the canisters I've had, maybe 12 or so. I've only had 2 or so that have done this. Most of them I have have bean sitting for years after some use and still have liquid in them.

This brings up another question. What do you guys do with partial canisters? I always end up with ones 1/3 to 1/4 full.

Rick
C
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
C
Kenai and Dan,

Thats exactly the kind of info I'm looking for. Thanks. You guys are providing info that cant be figured out without parts and peices in hand. Good stuff.

Olypen,

I've looked at the Flash in the store and just couldnt figure out reason to upgrade to that. Yeah they fixed some minor anoyances with the original, but I'm not sure thats worth the price tag.

I'm realy looking for an option that has the functionality I need, none of the gingerbread, and lighter and more compact if available.

My definition of "Gingerbread": Items, features, add ons, ect... that perform no needed, advantagious, or functional purpose.
Example: Rear spoiler on a honda civic.

Rick
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
If you want absolute light check out a mug and alcohol stove. This is a 450ml mug and gram weenie stove.

Its the small set up but these are my 3 favorite stove set ups. They all fit in the pot.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

"It's my main love for all things Ackley. Plus the dude was cool before cool was cool."

SH08
O
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
O
Chesapeake, I agree about the price and excess on the jetboil, it's for the 3-4 mile fairly flatground trips with the granddkids along, I suspect I'll pickup one of the Soto stoves and match it with an existing ti-pot for my solo light pack trips.

I will say though that in the past I've regretted having to deal with insufficient handles and unstable pot stand/pot combo's to save a very little weight and I've also had a disconnected canister slow leak itself empty without a backup.

Over the years I've had a few trips where I needed to improvise and use fire due to a stove failure and the ability to make a wire bail for your cooking pot is a real bonus when that happens.

IC B3

C
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
C
I agree the Jetboil has its place. I'm not going to sell mine. I'll keep it. I'm just looking for something else and another Jetboil dont fit the bill.

Rick
T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
An MSR Windpro blows a Jetboil away. Just make a cozy for the pot.

L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
I have the same Snopeak pot/cup combo that Dan has. Just bought a Coleman Exponent, I'm going to try it out this year. It burns good, with good flame adjustment, and weighs 3.0 oz. vs. the 3.9 oz. of the Pocket Rocket. It's like a shortened version of a Pocket Rocket (different pot-holder design though) so it fits inside the pot with a fuel cannister:

[Linked Image]

It won't fit inside the pot installed on the cartridge, but I disconnect them anyway, I always worry that the valve will get nudged and I'll waste the fuel.

A wise man is frequently humbled.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

65 members (Buckshot5, Big1bud, beefan, 300_savage, 6 invisible), 1,414 guests, and 814 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,503
Posts18,490,592
Members73,972
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.