Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
G
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
G
I have an opportnity to buy a Pre '64 M-70 in .270 Win. It has been refinished and bbl cut to 20". Thus it is not a collector. Basically I'm just buying it for the action. However, it is a pre-war production with wing safety.

My question is Is it possible and/or feasible to convert it to the later style safety? Are parts available? Would the expense preclude the practicality of purchasing said rifle? Or should I just look for another? TIA...

Edw-

"As you walk thru life, don't be surprised that there are fewer people that you encounter seeking truth than those seeking confirmation of what they already believe!"

GB1

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
You'd have more time/trouble/expense in a conversion than it's worth, IMHO..

What's wrong with using it as-is? Scope issues?

Ex- USN (SS) '66-'69
Pro-Constitution.
LET'S GO BRANDON!!!
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Grasshopper

(1)Is it possible and/or feasible to convert it to the later style safety? (2) Are parts available? (3) Would the expense preclude the practicality of purchasing said rifle?
Yes to 1 and 2. 3 would be your call. Ed LaPour has them at about $200, install by him or others would be extra. Talk to Ed about whether his safety improves gas handling.

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Wow, I bought one of his safeties for a pre-war 70 and it was around $35...time flies.

I saw a movie where only the military and the police had guns. It was called Schindler's List.
G
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
G
Originally Posted by Redneck
What's wrong with using it as-is? Scope issues?

No, not scope issues, personal issues. I just don't like the wing safety. blush I suppose there are those that do... but I'm just not one of them. Actually I'm not particularly enarmored with the M-70... I'd just like to have one NICE example in a caliber that I like.... Whether I like them or not, is beside the point.... They certainly are the standard by which rifles are judged. smile

Thanx for the replies...

Edw

"As you walk thru life, don't be surprised that there are fewer people that you encounter seeking truth than those seeking confirmation of what they already believe!"

IC B2

F
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
F
Hey grasshopper did you say redneck or fu redneck. You don't want to buy that pos. I just bought a pre 64 model 70 from a guy for $600.00. It's 100% all original. These deals are definately out there right now because of the bad economy. Keep your eyes open and let your buddies know you are looking for a nice example of the "rifleman's" rifle and I'm sure you will have luck finding a nice one.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I think Wisner's may still have some of the safety shrouds you are looking for.

+Professional member American Custom Gunmakers Guild
G
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
G
As most of us are aware, the "Pre '64" M-70 was never made in a short action... I have found a .243 Win. Can one rebarrel a .243 to a long action cartridge with merely replacing the magazine box spring and follower? Thanks in advance...

Edw

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
You do not need to replace the entire bolt shroud to get rid of the wing safety. Years ago a company named Tilden made a conversion safety which converted the safety lever to the later style. My prewar .257 Roberts came equiped with a Tilden safety when I bought it. Tilden safeties show up from time to time on the auction sites, or you could put a wanted ad in the classified section.

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
+1 on the Tilden. I have one too on a pre-war and it works fine. I also like the Tilden rings and bases. You can usually find a Tilden safety on ebay if you are patient.

IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
As most of us are aware, the "Pre '64" M-70 was never made in a short action... I have found a .243 Win. Can one rebarrel a .243 to a long action cartridge with merely replacing the magazine box spring and follower? Thanks in advance...

Edw

You will also have to change the bolt stop which is part of the extractor ring.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I just finished converting a pre-war safety to a pre-64. Not just the shroud and other attached parts but the bolt needs to be altered for the lever to clear. Then you need to have some of the parts reblued, the bolt for instance.

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Grasshopper: has the barrel actually been cut or is the rifle one of the 20" barrel carbines that were offered at that time of manufacture? If it has a front sight ramp milled from the barrel steel it's original. If the ramp is gone it's been cut.

L
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
L
Jim Wisner offered Tilden safeties back in the precise metalsmithing days. He may have a few left. Dale

F
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
F
Originally Posted by Jkob

Edw

You will also have to change the bolt stop which is part of the extractor ring.

and the ejector

G
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
G
Originally Posted by stocker
Grasshopper: has the barrel actually been cut or is the rifle one of the 20" barrel carbines that were offered at that time of manufacture? If it has a front sight ramp milled from the barrel steel it's original. If the ramp is gone it's been cut.

I don't know for sure... As I didn't look at it that close. I'll be over there again next week and look closer. Same shop also has an '06 made in 1946... I'm assuming this is a transition model...

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Grasshopper: The carbines were early production. Without going to my Madis book I'm not sure if they were discontinued before or after the war.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Tilden made a conversion safety that looks like a fat tire version of the current
model.

You see these on ebay.

My pre-war came with one.

You can find one and have it installed to meet your needs.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

302 members (1badf350, 1lesfox, 160user, 12344mag, 10ring1, 1lessdog, 31 invisible), 1,800 guests, and 1,125 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,633
Posts18,493,066
Members73,977
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.