Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
D
Dust Offline OP
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
D
Seems that there are people who do all three. Can you guys tell me which you use, and what size(high, extra high, .5" riser etc) you use please?

GB1

T
TWR Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
This gets brought up quite often and a search would show alot of info but I hate to search for things myself so here goes...

I use a LaRue LT104 one piece mount that uses throw levers for quick detach and they return to zero. I shoot irons now and then so I like the QD feature.

The most important reason for a one piece mount though is they allow you to mount the scope forward of the charging handle. Rings alone have to be extra high but don't allow you to mount a scope in the proper position, this cause most to cock their heads back or to need a longer stock.

Here's a good comparison of what's out there.
http://www.maxicon.com/guns/optics/one_piece/ar15_onepiece_mounts.htm

The gun shown on this page uses an Armalite mount.

S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
warne ulta high QD rings-they have 3 styles

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I used a set of extra high weavers on my flatop. Not tacticool but gets the job done!

Walk softly and carry a big bore!
Ost Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
You can buy a Larue mount now, or you can buy all the cheaper alternatives first, and then buy a Larue.

I hate escalators. I slipped and fell down the steps for an hour and a half.
IC B2

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
I currently use Warne Ultra High QD's on two of mine, but access to the charging handle can be a challenge if the ocular of the scope is large.

You really need a mount that places the ocular in front of the charging handle. The Larue is actually a better option. Although I have never tried it, Rock River makes a High-Rise Cantilever Scope Mount that looks like it might work well also.

molɔ̀ːn labé skýla
F
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
F
Nice list, TWR but it's missing a couple.

Nikon now has a one piece mount that is cantilevered and also has a 20 MOA slope built in. It's listed at $95. I use a Brownell's system sight which has multiple inserts for height or cant. The base is $35, the inserts are about $20 each, and you can get matching rings for it for about $60. So for about $120, you can have the exact height or cant you desire.

I also have an Armalite one-piece mount, my only issue with it is that it's too low and requires the use of a riser rail.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Burris makes some nice extra high rings and one piece mounts.

Elwood

T
TWR Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Ya it could stand some updating, SWFA makes a chinese copy of the chinese burris without the railed ring tops. I found the site awhile back and it's a good reference as it is.

The thing to remember is to keep an open mind and try all you can for yourself. I know a guy who uses an Armalite mount backwards and likes his scopes back over the stock, I think he's stupid but if it works for him, who am I to say it won't?

Me, I've tried maybe dozen or more with plenty of time on them and just haven't found better than what I use now.

F
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
F
TWR, you are correct; people do strange things with equipment using it in ways one would never expect. I like to keep my ocular lens right above the T-handle or maybe a little bit forward even, but I know others do it their way.

The LaRue stuff is the best, I agree. I never need to remove and remount my scope on the ARs that have them, and one needed the 20 MOA canted rail so I used the Brownell's stuff. Maybe one day I will get a LaRue.

Thanks for the info and the great link.

IC B3

T
TWR Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
I saw one of the first "optic ready" uppers once. It was an A1 or A2 that was cut off, had 2 weaver type rails screwed to it. First done at Crane I think.

My first scope mount was the Colt/B-square mount. I've tried rings alone, ARMS riser and rings, Armalite, RRA, ARMS SIR platform and rings and probably a few others that I can't recall.

It's amazing at how far we've come since someone cut a carry handle upper off and attached a rail to it. Plenty of great options out there now and that's a good thing.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
For the long range/precision AR, I'm kind of partial to this one:

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Of course, I could be a little bit biased on that one.... wink

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
JonA, very nice scope. The scope mount looks to be plenty heavy duty. Who's is it? and a cost.

[Linked Image]
"Until one has loved an animal, part of their soul remains unawakened."

T
TWR Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
What do you think of the Troy Extreme rail?

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by jimmyd223
JonA, very nice scope. The scope mount looks to be plenty heavy duty. Who's is it? and a cost.

Thanks. I make the mount, I'm just finishing up my first production run. More info here: http://www.aadmount.com/ .

I'm aiming at an introductory price in the $230-$240 range, trying to keep it a bit cheaper than the NF Unimount. I'm not sure how long I'll be able to keep the price that low. I'm an Engineer, not a businessman, so we'll see how it goes. Anyway, I just felt like showing it off a bit, I'm pretty happy with the way they turned out. smile
Originally Posted by TWR
What do you think of the Troy Extreme rail?

Mixed thoughts. First (and this is not the fault of the rail but in my application of it) it's a poor choice for such a heavy barrel unless you don't mind fitment issues. The barrel nut wouldn't go over the shank and had to be opened up a bunch, even using the lowest profile gas block in the world I still ground it down some to ensure it doesn't touch. It's just not really made for the thickest varmint weight barrels.

Other than that, I wasn't really impressed with the way it slid onto the barrel nut, or more accurately the way it didn't. It gouged the hell out of itself getting it on. Then, in order to get it tight enough to not move under hard use you need to really clamp the hell out of those two screws to the point you think you might crack something. Having had it come loose on me once it's hard to have as much confidence in it as something like the JP Modular Forearm.

That said, it's been solid for quite a while now without moving. It provides a nice solid rail on top if you have NV equipment or want to mount a front sight. You can add chunks of rail to the sides and bottom much like the JP. And it does look mean as hell. And it is very light.

D
Dust Offline OP
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
D
JohnA, price?

T
TWR Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Thanks, I've been looking at Noveske's Rouge Hunter uppers. I usually build my own but they won't sell the barrel by itself in 223 and it uses one of these basicly for the light weight. I really like the JP tube on my SPR but it is heavier than needed.

On your mount, what does it weigh? I like light builds and it looks like it wouldn't fit into my scheme unless it's made of ti or somethinh like that.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
JohnA, just read the info on the mount and look to be bullet proof and your pricing is in line with NF and US Optic's. Good luck with the new venture.

[Linked Image]
"Until one has loved an animal, part of their soul remains unawakened."

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Dust
JohnA, price?

In the $230-$240 range, at least as an introductory.
Originally Posted by TWR
On your mount, what does it weigh? I like light builds and it looks like it wouldn't fit into my scheme unless it's made of ti or somethinh like that.

The 34mm is 11 oz and that will be the heaviest. The 35mm will be a tiny bit lighter but not much.

For the 30mm I'm going to scale the whole upper half of the thing down so it should be a good two ounces or so lighter. For reference, the ADM SPR mount in 30mm weighs about 8 ounces so I expect the 30mm version of mine to be within an ounce or so even though the ADM looks skeletonized in comparison and is weaker in nearly every way. The steel parts required for the QD feature add a lot of weight without looking like it. The only steel parts in mine are the screws so it actually looks heavier than it really is. It's aluminum so it's lighter than titanium.

I could shave some weight but since this is aimed more at the long range heavy rifles it probably wouldn't be worth the added cost to most customers. Especially for 34 and 35mm where the scopes are usually 2 lbs+ (the one pictured above is 38 oz) a couple oz in the mount are lost in the noise. Most who want to do lighter builds will use 30mm scopes so if I can keep that one around 9 oz or so it should be usable for such builds. I haven't ruled out making 1" either, if I get enough requests I will and it would be smaller yet.
Originally Posted by jimmyd223
JohnA, just read the info on the mount and look to be bullet proof and your pricing is in line with NF and US Optic's. Good luck with the new venture.

Thank you very much.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
For all of you who have been waiting for these to be available in 30mm, I'm sorry it took so long but they're finally done. Here are a few pics:

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[img]http://www.aadmount.com/PICT0161.JPG[/img]

[img]http://www.aadmount.com/PICT0149.JPG[/img]

While of course you can always buy them directly from my site, SWFA now has them in stock for a lower price:

http://swfa.com/Aadland-Mounts-C3316.aspx .

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

507 members (1Longbow, 12344mag, 06hunter59, 1badf350, 10Glocks, 219DW, 53 invisible), 18,348 guests, and 1,341 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,944
Posts18,539,316
Members74,051
Most Online20,796
Yesterday at 04:44 PM

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.