Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
V
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
V
Originally Posted by shrapnel
I was shooting a 17 Remington when they first came out and found the factory ammo quite explosive. At that time you couldn't buy just components, so I started with factory ammo to get my brass.

Hornady had the only readily available bullets, so I used them and couldn't duplicate Remington factory ammunition in velocity or explosive results. After some time I did find a company selling Remington bullets. I tried them and the results matched the factory ammo quite well.

Since the ugly Remington bullet blew up so well I tried some of their .22 PLHP bullets which looked identical to the 17 bullet. I have never looked back. These bullets seem to be magic. They blow up at .222 velocities, yet still hold together at .220 Swift velocities until they hit the target.

They aren't pretty, they are cheaper than all the plastic tipped stuff and still bench rest accurate...

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

AWESOME pics!

If that ain't advertising, I don't know what is.

GB1

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Interesting.

My experience with the Blitzking is pretty much restricted to the 39 grain .204. It was a hair more accurate than the Nosler and a lot more accurate than the Hornady in my rifle but it didn't produce quite the splat. Velocity roughly 3600 fps.

Critters are pretty near 2 pounds I'd say, half pound up or half pound down depending on time of year. On the little ones especially, shot angle is important. A "thin" shot like broadside is often not real impressive, but lengthwise ... wow!

What you're saying track better with what a friend reports with his .22 PPC. He says the Blitzking shoots better and splats better in his gun than the other 40 grain options.

I've shot a LOT of ballistic tips and VMAXes in various calibers, .20, .22, 6mm, and some .25. At least between those two, I find the VMAX to be noticeably "softer" and the b-tip to be measurably more accurate. I tend to shoot VMAXes when I can.

So ... maybe reasonable to conclude that it depends on what caliber, what bullet weight, and how fast it's going at impact exactly how the rankings come out?

Last edited by T_O_M; 05/14/10.

Anyone who thinks there's two sides to everything hasn't met a M�bius strip.

Here be dragons ...
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
In hundreds of non scientific tests I'd have to say a .22 cal 50 gr. TNT ran right up to the speed they nearly come apart in flight. A center punch shot on a prairie dog is a sight to see.

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Yep indeed.

My last .22-250 was a POS. I shot a lot of different loads in it, never could keep it under 2 MOA ... with one exception. I went to 37.5 grains of Varget under a 50 TNT, later a 50 SX. Those would hold 5 shots in the .2s. Wow. Like a light switch, all or nothing. And a 50 grain TNT at ballpark 3800 fps is a grenade Mr Hole Digger does not want to meet.

Surprising to me, I lost no cases to primer pocket expansion, ever case loss I had was to a neck split. Spooky lookin' primers, but otherwise the gun was a junker.

Here be dragons ...
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
53 gr Horandy HP in the 220 Swift

A Doe walks out of the woods today and says, that is the last time I'm going to do that for Two Bucks.
IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
VMax's blow up whistle pigs real well. 52 grain Speer HP's at about 3000 FPS are hard on em too,

Most damage I ever did to a coyote was using a soft point 180 grain 30 caliber bullet from a 30-06 at about 40 feet or so. His mid section just kinda exploded.
Only shot a deer or two with those bullets because of the damage they would cause, even though I had bought a lot of them. Major brand name too. The copper jackets must have been either to soft, or to thin, never was sure which, if not both.

K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
Found out an interesting thing after I'd asked a similar question in the Reloading Varmint Rifles forum. I'm shooting a 223 and just wasn't getting the results I wanted on prairie dog size varmints. I'd been shooting 40 grain Vmax, then tried 50 grain Vmax figuring there would be more fragments. Didn't work out, so I thought I needed a bullet that would come apart even quicker than the 40 grain Vmax. Then I thought some more, because the 40 grain Vmax had spectacular results on ground squirrels. I wondered if the 40 grain Vmax was actually fragmenting too shallow, so I got some 40 grain Ballistic Tips and tried them out. It worked! What I learned is that you need velocity AND fragmentation at the proper time.

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
I have a theory about this stuff which stems from eons ago when I lived in town and defensive handgunnery was a lot more important. There was a lively debate about permanent (primary) vs temporary (secondary) stretch cavity ... expansion vs penetration, etc.

So, the "Tom theory of blowing [bleep] up" says when the secondary cavity shape and volume exceed the shape and volume of the varmint, you get spectacular blow up. If the volume exceeds but the shape does not cover, you just get something blown in half. If the volume and shape don't exceed, you just get a hole through Mr Fuzzy.

I don't know why I thought it was important to put that here, but it seems to fit. smile

Here be dragons ...
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
I like it!! laugh

Ingwe

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
90 grain Sierra HP in 270 Winchester. Spectacular on jackrabbits. In 22 cal,I like the Barnes VLD or whatever they are called. Blue meanies for sure!

NRA Benefactor Member

Those who live by the sword get shot by those who don't.

IC B3

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Well, I had plenty Sierra Blitzkings in .20-cal come apart before they even got to my front chrono screen - but that's probably a little bit too much of a good thing. Costly, too.

In .22-cal, The 50 VMax is awesome, as are the simple but effective 50 TNTs. Those new 30-grain Barnes VGs for the Hornet are a quantum jump ahead of any other Hornet bullet I've used, even the eye-popping Calhoon 37 DHP.

Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult.

H
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
H
Were they the 39 grn Blitz, and did you determine what the problem was?

I see most claim for a heavy 204 load use the 39 BK over 40 Hornady's if you want stability with a 12 twist barrel. Getting ready to reload for 2 rem 700's and an AR in 204, any additional info appreciated.

Allen

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Sierra 70 or 75 gr. in a .243. Hit a prairie dog with one @ about 100 yds and it was like dropping a hand grenade on it.

There comes a time when one must take a position that is neither safe, nor polite, nor popular -- but one must ask, "Is it right?"

Martin Luther King, Jr.
W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
Just came back from shooting Oregon sage rats with new .243 WSSM barrel on a Savage custom. Used 62 grain Varmint Grenade with max load of Hunter powder. This is the singularly most explosive varmint bullet / cartridge combination I ever used. The rats simply vanished - gone - reduced to pink spots of goo over a large circle. Some that didn't vaporize were unfolded with just the skin and pink froth remaining. The bullet impact went though the rat and cut little tunnels through the alfalfa just like a tunnel boring machine was at work. The alfalfa was shredded as if it went through a blender. I heard the "pumpkin splat" sound of each impact as if a firecracker went off. So, grab a box of 62 grain 6mm Varmint Grenades, a 1:8" twist barrel and load 'em up to 3,800 fps or more and have some fun. Just remember, that bullet with a powdered metal core is spinning at 342,000 rpm, so when it hits and comes apart, strange things happen.

Last edited by WranglerJohn; 05/25/10.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
What bullet would you shoot in a reduced load, .204 Ruger?
Want the most "splat" factor I can get!

Going to be shooting about 22 Hornet speeds, 2800 FPS or so.

I've got an alfalfa farmer who dosen't like loud rifles used to shoot his Sage Rats, thus the reduced loads.

Thanks! Virgil B.

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
Try any of the "new" lead free bullets, Barnes 26 gr. Varmint Grenades, Hornady's 30 gr. NXT's in the .204. The Hornady is a polymer tipped boat tail, while the Barnes is a hollow point flat base. I would suspect that the Barnes will shoot better in the standard 1:12" twist at lower velocities, but that's pure speculation.

The Barnes has a powdered copper-tin core that has the consistency of chalk - it seems to splat at all ranges and velocities. I Like the appearance and consistency of the Hornady but haven't had time to develop load data yet.

Last edited by WranglerJohn; 05/29/10.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
WranglerJohn,

Thanks!

That's what I was thinking. Found some Hornady Vmax'es locally, but will order some Barns for the next go round.

Good information!

Virgil B.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I use those V-Max bullets in the 40 grain for my .222 CZ rifle and they sure do explode things up, more so than the 50grainers did in the past.

Thank Our Veterans!
GOD Bless Them All

UNIONS BUILDING AMERICA, SALUTE ALL THE UNION TRADESMAN

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Earlier in this post I
stated I loaded up some Mid-Souths varmint exterminaters. Shooting a plywood target with a 3/16
steel plate backing , at 100 yards the exterminaters just punched a clean hole thru the target with no
evidence of fragging. I was a dissappointed. This is a follow up report. I spent the week-week end in the
Oklahoma panhandle , shooting pd's. these bullets were awesome ! I cut im in half , turned im inside out ,sent pieces flying into the air.for a cheap bullet they meet all
my splatt factor expectations. I will use them again .

Citizens have guns-subjects have none.
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Home swaged open tipped 458 bullets weighing in at 200 grain. Used corn starch behind pure lead and fired out of a 45-70. They would mist a big neutra.

The first time I shot myself in the head...

Meniere's Sucks Big Time!!!
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

301 members (2ndwind, 257_X_50, 1_deuce, 10gaugemag, 2500HD, 34 invisible), 2,280 guests, and 1,168 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,862
Posts18,478,591
Members73,948
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.