-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 5 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I agree with Ingwe's and Hatari's advice. The 06' and the Zeiss are all you need for the cat and PG. The leupie on the 375 is what I used, but I would not use it on the leopard hunt given the low light. What kind of Zeiss do yo have. Also, when I go on high dollar trips like that, I take two rifles. The 06 and the 375 is about as goos as it gets. jorge

A good principle to guide me through life: “This is all I have come to expect, standard lackluster performance. Trust nothing, believe no one and realize it will only get worse…”
GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

Just saw this thread; good for you Isaac! I'll just add a couple of observations if I may based one one trip. Personal recommendations from someone you trust are about the best reference there is; I went to a place recommended by JB who in turn went on Ingwes recommend who I think went there two or three times. Things and people do change but there were no big disappointments.

Your idea of visiting a park and doing some touring I highly recommend along with a minimum of ten days; two weeks might be even better considering the distance traveled and the expense to get there. Our park touring (Etosha in northern Namibia) was a highlight and our guide became a very good friend. For the very same reason I strongly concur with the idea of combining either a buff or spot with your PG hunt. That's what I wish I had done; now, three years later the extra expense back then
would make no difference plus I very well may not get back there again.

Those are the High points I recommend along with getting shooting sticks some time in the near future and practicing with them and going through a professional organization that will plan and book your flights and itinerary; I used Gracy Int'l and the young lady who took charge of our trip did so flawlessly which is how our trip proceeded.

And, depending on job responsibility and family back home, I also highly recommend a rented sat phone. One more thing as I'm scribbling here, I'd also highly recommend medical evac insurance especially if you include leopard or buff but really anyway.

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
Take a couple of rolls of duct tape along to give to the outfitter. Along with one to use for yourself. I know my outfitter was kinda glad I gave him some as he was out and didn't want to ask me if I had any to borrow.

Also, some gallon and quart ziploc bags with zip-ties. Those can come in handy for many uses.

He went over yonder way
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Excellent advice on the spare duct tape....

And Bob...leave the laptop at home...relax dude...any problems that crop up will still be problems when you get home...I promise... grin

Ingwe

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
I
isaac Offline OP
Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
I
I've called both Gracy Travel and Klimes. Debbie immediately contacted me with a intro e-mail, some kind words and left off by saying she would call me today. She did, before noon today and was a pleasure to speak to. She said we are about 1 month early as to fare quotes but that she has set her alerts to contact me no later than the third week in June to get the ball rolling. In the meanwhile, she'd send me a brochure packet. Klimes hasn't responded but, in fairness, it may be because of my premature call since fares are not up for our time frame, as yet.

Still, Debbie at Gracey Travel was all over it and that kind of attention means something to me.

FWIW from this Africa cherry,fellas.

The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails.
William Arthur Ward

IC B2

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Debbie is who I deal with Bob, although many of my friends highly recommend Kathi and I've dealt with her in the past and she has been helpful. Either way you can't go wrong. jorge

A good principle to guide me through life: “This is all I have come to expect, standard lackluster performance. Trust nothing, believe no one and realize it will only get worse…”
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Gracy.....

Ingwe

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
Originally Posted by ingwe
Yeah Bob..take the .30-06 and do NOT upgrade the scope on the .375..

JMHO

Ingwe

Well, I'm going to disagree on this one, LOL. crazy

Bob,if you are going to take the 375 with 270 grainers for everything.....I'd put a 2.5-10X32 Nightforce NXS compact on it. The extra magnification will make the 375 more versatile and the NXS is a much better scope than the Leopold ( I use both on my rifles ). They have great eye relief as well and are built like a M1A2!!

T
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
T
Bob
If you want to go game viewing, do it before the hunt. It's just too boring afterwards plus it gets you accustomed to what you will be looking for. I don't rely on the PH or trackers to be the only ones on the lookout. Where's the fun in that?

Regarding the computer.
Give yourself a chance to be immersed in the hunt. It is more possible in Africa than anywhere else. You think hunting 24/7 if you are doing it right. For myself, once I think about "business," it's time to go home. Over trips made, I've programmed myself to not think of business (or home for that matter) until the trip is about over. It's worked out fine.

What you are contemplating as a hunt is not a Texas deer blind hunt with TVs and computers. It's Africa. Give it a chance before it's all gone. You can thank me later. If you aren't convinced, call me, pal. grin

"Be sure you're right. Then go ahead." Fess Parker as Davy Crockett
I
isaac Offline OP
Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
I
Ok,OK...I'm getting it,gents. No lap top.

A friend of mine has offered me a Leupy Vari 3 in 1.75x6x32(used with only slight ring markings)for $250. Is it enough of a improvement over my 1x5 to take him up on it? He also has a Vari # in 1.5x5x20 with a illuminated German #4 reticle he'll sell me for $475.

So many decisions!!

Last edited by isaac; 05/14/10.

The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails.
William Arthur Ward

IC B3

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Bob..IMO the 1.75to 6 doesn't offer enough of an upgrade to the 1,5to 5...but I'm a "little scope "guy! grin

As to the 1.5 to 5 Illum....I am old school..the more there is..the more there is to go wrong....Illum reticles fall into that category...and Murphy's Law is alive and well in Africa..

KISS principle applies..

and BTW toltegriz was exactly right on the lap top....

Ingwe

I
isaac Offline OP
Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
I
Then that also means you were exactly right,huh?? Griz, like you, have those "right" moments on a frequent basis.

You don't feel that 32 on the possible upgrade helps with the light gathering,huh?

William Arthur Ward

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

There are a lot of answers that will work but I had a 1.75-6x Leup with a 4a reticle (Leup's) on my .375 that worked perfectly for me. In fact I'd say that heavy reticle was more significant to me than the power of the scope; it stood out bold against the grey-brown of the winter Namibian bush. And, my furtherest shot was about 200 yds on a greater kudu through a series of openings in the bush. Generally, where I hunted, shots tended to be on the short side to just beyond that.

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Originally Posted by isaac
Then that also means you were exactly right,huh?? Griz, like you, have those "right" moments on a frequent basis.

You don't feel that 32 on the possible upgrade helps with the light gathering,huh?

If you'll look at the exit pupils on high power about 4mm vs about 5mm...no, not much, especially for "over 40" eyeballs...

And, for the record, I hate being right ALL the time.... wink grin

Ingwe

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Isaac,
You've got plenty of time, so if possible get your friend to loan you the scope and then compare them at last light with YOUR eyes to see which one looks better. If you can't get your friend's scope in your hands, go to a local sporting goods store at dusk and compare the two side-by-side. For the two scopes you're talking about, and for hunting purposes, there really isn't much difference in the magnification range. However, for light gathering ability, I personally see quite a difference in the two and would go with the 1.75-6X that has the larger objective. Will you need that bit of extra? No one can say, but it sure is nice to have if you need it. And for $250 bucks, why not? Just my 2cents.
Test

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
+1 for Gracy

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Bob, I have both scopes and the 1.75 does give you a bit better light transmission IF, IF the scope is relatively new (less than three years old). As to the 1X5 with the Ill reticle, worthless for low light. I bought one for my 338 (I'm also a small scope guy) and practiced with it on a few hog hunts in low light and the 20mm objective just plain SUCKS for light transmission. As to the NF scope, they are indeed superb, but in my view too big & bulky for the 375. If money was not an issue, I'd buy either the Swaro PH in 1.75X6X42 (with a German #4) or the new super-duper Z6 in 2X10. Now THERE is one hell of a versatile scope. jorge

I
isaac Offline OP
Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
I
Thanks Jorge....The PH model comes in 1.75?? I thought the 1.75's were Zeiss and the 1.7 began in the Z-6 series of Swaro. I'll double check.

http://swfa.com/Swarovski-17-10x42-Z6-30mm-Riflescope-P12060.aspx

Last edited by isaac; 05/14/10.

William Arthur Ward

T
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
T
Frankly, I'd use the '06 on leopard if I could get away with it. Even a lowly .270 kills them deader than hell. smile

"Be sure you're right. Then go ahead." Fess Parker as Davy Crockett
M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Originally Posted by ingwe
Bob..IMO the 1.75to 6 doesn't offer enough of an upgrade to the 1,5to 5...but I'm a "little scope "guy! grin

As to the 1.5 to 5 Illum....I am old school..the more there is..the more there is to go wrong....Illum reticles fall into that category...and Murphy's Law is alive and well in Africa..

KISS principle applies..

and BTW toltegriz was exactly right on the lap top....

Ingwe

Listen to Ingwe, he knows of what he speaks! KISS...... grin

maddog

Page 5 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

464 members (06hunter59, 16gage, 1Longbow, 17CalFan, 160user, 1_deuce, 57 invisible), 2,433 guests, and 1,292 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,988
Posts18,481,048
Members73,959
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.