Home
Posted By: isaac Gear Bag - 05/03/10
Looks like I'll finally be able to make my African hunt in 2012. 10 days. What are the essentials, including clothing gear and footwear, and what online shopping source would you guys recommend for the purchases?

Thanks in advance. By making this early check list, I think some might imagine how excited I am to finally have this wish realized.
Posted By: AFTERUM Re: Gear Bag - 05/03/10
be careful now....you don't want to "peak" too early!
Posted By: Pete E Re: Gear Bag - 05/04/10
Originally Posted by isaac
Looks like I'll finally be able to make my African hunt in 2012. 10 days. What are the essentials, including clothing gear and footwear, and what online shopping source would you guys recommend for the purchases?

Thanks in advance. By making this early check list, I think some might imagine how excited I am to finally have this wish realized.

Whoever you hunt with will give you a good list of equipment and clothing appropriate to the hunt and the terrain.

Generally speaking, people take *way* too much clothing and kit. Given that most Camps operate a daily laundry service, three sets of hunting clothes is ample and for a week you probably get by with two.

What I would recommend is make sure any other clothes you take can double as hunting clothes at a pinch...

Get a small daysack as a carry-on for the plane and carry one basic set of basic hunting clothes in it and then you have a little lee-way if your hold luggage gets delayed or goes missing

Once in your hunting camp, the day sack will then come in handy for carrying your daily essentials...
Posted By: jorgeI Re: Gear Bag - 05/04/10
Bob: That's great news! What tiem of year and where are you going? WHat are yo after? I'd love to help sort through this as I'm sure others with lots more experience that I will as well. I'm excited for you. jorge
Posted By: ingwe Re: Gear Bag - 05/04/10
Yep..good on ya Bob..fill us in!

Ingwe
Posted By: IndyCA35 Re: Gear Bag - 05/04/10
I think Cabela's is the best source for most stuff.

I like their 7-pocket pants--long and 7" inseam shorts. Also their short sleeved shirts. Their safari jacket is on sale for $49.95, I believe.

Make sure you know the temperature range. I've seen frost in RSA in June and 90 degree temperatures in Zim in September.

Other stuff might include two warm sweaters and, as you were advised, three sets of each type of clothing.

Next time I think I'll wear a set of hunting clothes on the plane.

Footwear? Any good goretex hiking boots. Go to your nearest outdoor store and ask them what they recommend for several hour hikes. I packed a higher pair and wore a lower pair on the plane. Some short tennis shoes doubled as slippers. Socks: The hiking store recomended two layers, some thick ones on the outside and thin ones on the inside. I dispensed with the thick ones.

If you wear shorts, buy a pair of gaiters from the hiking store or--much better--from Long Grass on the Internet.

Clothing should be dark green, not light khaki.

Any non-garish baseball hat works.

A light pair of gloves.

A small flashlight (and a spare).
Posted By: toltecgriz Re: Gear Bag - 05/04/10
Bob
Whatever you're comfortable with in Texas in May won't be far off for much of Africa.

I'm happy for you. Best wishes
Posted By: isaac Re: Gear Bag - 05/04/10
Thanks to all. I'm taking notes.

Griz...I was thinking the exact same thing as for Texas and it is why I have posted now. I could field test some gear and was thinking of a Cabelas online purchase for some safari styled shirts and pants/shorts.

Jorge...thanks man. As of now, I'm thinking of April as it is the month of Karen's birthday and she told me she'd love to go. I have some plains game on tap, of course, but a leopard has been a dream of mine for years. If I can't go the leopard route, I'm seriously considering a buff. A dear friend of mine has hunted the following linked place 3 times now and has worked some very nice deals for me with the outfitter should I choose his operation for my hunt. If you have a moment from your hectic schedule, have a look and please offer me any advice or tips you might have for me.

Again, thanks to all for taking the time to educate me.

http://www.africanscentsafaris.com/index-2.html
Bob, hope you don't mind, I just looked at the link...looked good, especially the " Special" but what is MOST important. is that you know and trust someone who has hunted with them..thats worth a whole list of references... makes you more comfortable with your decision, and gets your questions answered...
April would not be my first choice..its warm and wetter then..last time I went was in April and we went then mainly so I could find some snakes ( we found them...)....nuff said? grin

Good luck on your planning and trip..you'll find it a life changing experience..

Ingwe
Posted By: Shakari Re: Gear Bag - 05/04/10
Congratulations on making the decision to come to Africa and be warned it's very addictive.

I wouldn't recommend SA as a good venue for leopard or buff though.
Ingwe...are you kidding?? I encourage the advice and I certainly appreciate it. My buddy has been there and just fell in love with the place and has taken some spectacular animals. I simply chose April because of Karen's birthday and it lessens her sassiness when she realizes how much I'm going to be paying should I toss in a Buff or leopard.

If it's May or whatever is not a huge thing for us. What month suits your fancy,Ingwe?
Originally Posted by Shakari
Congratulations on making the decision to come to Africa and be warned it's very addictive.

I wouldn't recommend SA as a good venue for leopard or buff though.

==========

I hear you. I'm leaning towards this man on the referral of a close friend of mine who has been there. I'd love a leopard as my priority but, as you can probably tell, I haven't a clue as to other PHs or their operations.

I have time though and will keep an open mind towards the suggestions and advice....all of it!! Thanks by the way.

PS..Karen wants only to tag along with me occasionally for the hunts,especially dangerouis game, but really wants to get into the photography/safari pic scene, if that means anything to you hunter guys as you dole out your advice!

We're newbie first timers so anything will probably blow us away.

Lastly...I may take my son and will likely need to budget myself to around 35K. If that's foolish thinking, please tell me straight up!
Posted By: Heeler Re: Gear Bag - 05/04/10
Glad to hear you are lining up a trip. I'm hoping to go back in 2012 also. I've got some revenge to administer on a kudu...

Don't forget chapstick and sunscreen. I went in September and man was it dry. Really had to watch yourself or you'd get burnt quick.

As far as clothes. I ended up wearing some green carhartt jeans. Bought them at a local farm and home store. Comfortable and pretty durable in all the brush. And for boots I just wore my well broke in Justin lace-up ropers. I did have to get a few new shirts but other than that, kept the clothes budget pretty light and used what I had on hand.
Posted By: maddog Re: Gear Bag - 05/04/10
isaac, the plains game special looks very good. To each his own, but I'd do the special, and tack on 3 days at Krueger Nat. Park, for gameviewing/photography. I'm like the other guys, better venues for leopar/cape buff [think ZIM].

As far as clothes, I wore green/brown carrhart pants, and they were great in the thorns. Don't over pack. I thought I packed light for my 1st. trip, and took twice as much as I needed. Any good well worn boots will work, no inulation, and I don't think you need goretex. I liked my cabela kangaroo bird hunter boots, that I wore everyday. They were very lightweight. Take lotsa pics, and enjoy yourself. Like everyone says, it won't be your only tripgrin.

maddog
Posted By: LT_DAN Re: Gear Bag - 05/04/10
Originally Posted by Heeler
Don't forget chapstick and sunscreen. I went in September and man was it dry. Really had to watch yourself or you'd get burnt quick.

cant agree more. this is the first thing i always reply to these questions. it is a common mistake to think that because it is cold, that the sun is less of a problem. mind you, never met a ph that didnt have sunscreen on him, or in his pick-up. the second, and probably the most important thing is to bring along your smile. Africa is Africa. it will mostly be up to you if you enjoy it or not. sense of humour ? check! sunscreen? check! the rest is easy.

If it's May or whatever is not a huge thing for us. What month suits your fancy,Ingwe?

June and July are favorites....
They say half the fun is planning..in the case of Africa..its not...MOST of the fun is there! grin

ingwe
Posted By: maddog Re: Gear Bag - 05/04/10
Originally Posted by ingwe

June and July are favorites....
They say half the fun is planning..in the case of Africa..its not...MOST of the fun is there! grin

ingwe

YUP!!! grin

maddog
Ingwe...thanks.

This thread, some PMs and even two private emails have really been great pieces of information, advice and tips.

Much appreciated.
Also, I will admit to being a bit leary as to my 1st selection because of the leopard concerns raised by a few here. So, even if I went with this guy, it's more than a matter of driving an hour away to be in a good leopard producing area,huh?

I'd love a leopard, about 5-7 plains game choices and a great park nearby for Karen's safari pic taking. My son will be content with the plains game alone so maybe I could get a leopard and settle for a couple to a few of the game my son doesn't tag.
Posted By: Tuco Re: Gear Bag - 05/04/10
Wade's Rules for Packing (destination is irrelevant):

1. Make two piles on your living room floor: one pile of clothes, and the second pile of money.

2. Cut the clothes pile in half, and double the money pile.

3. You are ready to depart.
Posted By: medicman Re: Gear Bag - 05/04/10
Originally Posted by Tuco
Wade's Rules for Packing (destination is irrelevant):

1. Make two piles on your living room floor: one pile of clothes, and the second pile of money.

2. Cut the clothes pile in half, and double the money pile.

3. You are ready to depart.

Too true.

My outfitter told me a set of cloths for travel, two for hunting. I could have traveled in one set of hunting cloths and saved space, but then I have never been a cloths rack.

Randy
Posted By: toltecgriz Re: Gear Bag - 05/04/10
I would go a liitle later than April unless I was getting a hell of a deal. June/July usually works.

A serious attempt for leopard can cut into your PG time a lot...but so what. If it works out, you've got something. Avoid rats and mice.
Posted By: agazain Re: Gear Bag - 05/04/10
http://forums.accuratereloading.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/122101325/m/869101261
Posted By: Tracker49 Re: Gear Bag - 05/04/10
X2 on the overpack, don't take more than your outfitter tells you.
A couple of things though.
Do take rain gear. Even if you don't expect to use it, it don't take up much space and is good insurance to keep the rain away, or wear in the early morning if you are going when it is still cool in the mornings.
Take a boonie hat. Rolls up and takes little space.
Forget the 3D cammo, unless you know that there are broadleaf trees in the area. Don't make sense to have leafy cammo in Thorn country.
I wouldn't take shorts unless you like bleeding legs.
Wear one pair of tennis shoes on the plane and for around camp and take two well broken in pair of hunting boots.
Remember to leave plenty of space in your baggage on the way over so you will have room on the way home for all the souvineers you buy over there.
Buy a blow up neck pillow for the flight over. Use your back pack for your carry-on and the pillow can go here, along with a book to read on the flight, camera, etc.
Gum, hard candies, etc. go far with the trackers and other locals that you run into.
Posted By: isaac Re: Gear Bag - 05/05/10

==================

Thank you. That's great.

I have been shifting a bit throughout the day towards Tan and Zim because of the Buff and leopard desires. South africa just seems so frikken cool but I really do need to focus on what I wish for and make it right for Karen and her pic taking. She's convinced she can film kills like a pro.
Posted By: isaac Re: Gear Bag - 05/05/10
Good tips tracker. Thank you.
Posted By: Heeler Re: Gear Bag - 05/05/10
I forgot to mention earlier a stocking hat and gloves would be a good thing to have along.

Also, I started a 3-ring binder with all my documentation and outfitter correspondence and took that with me. Made it extremely handy when looking for info requested by any of the authorities.

Finally, have your son or wife carry a spare key to the gun case.
Posted By: ingwe Re: Gear Bag - 05/05/10
Oh...another tip Bob..two words..

Gracy Travel..

Ingwe
Posted By: hatari Re: Gear Bag - 05/05/10
Bob,

Exciting news! It's almost as much fun to anticipate and plan the trip as it is to do it. You've gotten rock solid advise so far.

April is too hot, too many snakes, but most of all, the grass is green and not burned off. It is harder to spot game. The middle of June through the middle of September are much better months. Toward the end of the season, the game concentrates around water, and makes hunting a bit more predictable.

Sunscreen, chapstick, Deep Woods Off in Tsetse areas, permetherin for ticks. I hunt with a pair of baseball batting gloves to protect the hands from thorns,incest bites (tsetse), and sun.

Medicine chest (figurative)that has all your Rx meds, Cipro for dysentery, a broad spectrum antibiotic and Rx analgesic just in case. Benedryl for allergies and allergic reactions. Lomotil (or Tylenol III) for diarrhea.

A hat and a bandana. A wind breaker and/or fleece because it can be cold in an open vehicle in the morning. I pack some peppermints or Tic Tac's or gum to prevent dry mouth when on the march for buffalo or elephant.

Grab 3 or 4 paperbacks for the airplane ride and the afternoon siestas.

I usually dream up something fun to take to amuse the staff. That has varied from shotgunshells with reports that are used to scare away birds, (big laughs), light sticks, or there is the time on safari with a French outfit that I brought bottles of Ch. Latour and Ch. Mouton Rothschild, and told them we have that is ordinary table wine in the US. (They shat themselves over that one!)

I take an aerosol bug bomb to zap the creepy crawly things in the hut or tent. Airlines are fond of transporting them I know, but I have had an objection yet.

I'll think up some stuff later.
Posted By: isaac Re: Gear Bag - 05/08/10
Saw my doc yesterday Jeff and told him about your medicine recommendations and to be on the ready come next April. Jorge had recommended another med beside malatharon(sp) for avoidance of side effects but I only remembered it long enough to tell the doctor.

I bugged Jorge yesterday while he was outside on a lounge chair while his wife was pruning the shrubs. Jorge is the man!!
Posted By: jorgeI Re: Gear Bag - 05/08/10
Doxycyclene was the med Bob. Jeff as to time and weather, I did a lot of asking of Craig B about the best time for leopards. Without hesisation he say April May. Apparently there is still planty of water & foliage around so it makes it hard for the leopards (and lions) to ambush game at waterholes. So when they see "free food" as bait, they come more readily to it, plus they like the additional cover. The down side is just as you say less vis for PG. But if leopard is your "Huckelberry" May, at least according to Craig, is the time to go, at least up in the north. Jorge
Posted By: isaac Re: Gear Bag - 05/08/10
Question guys...I'm one susceptible to and a apparent magnet for insects. I understand the permethrin and Ultrathon benefits and will take such but I was wondering what best tips you experts might offer.

What do you do for your sleeping quarters, Tse-Tse's, if bitten??

And, would items such as a Thermacell pocket pack and a room lamp size Thermacell be of any particular benefit superior to all others.

Seems if I could carry a Thermacell, I wouldn't have to worry about being soaked in poison for 14 days.

Because on my susceptibilty,I may have to go the long pants and shirt routes but those which can be reduced to short sleeves or shorts,if I could.

I'm thinking Africa insects could be a trip [bleep]-upper if you don't pay attention.
Posted By: ODay450 Re: Gear Bag - 05/08/10
In my experience, insects in the tent at night were not a problem - just keep the mesh doors zipped up at all times. For tsetses the Skin So Soft Expedition is the only thing that really works. Plan on applying it when you leave in the morning and after lunch. It also works very, very well on mopani bees. I suggest taking 3 to 4 bottles because the PH and camp manager will want one when they see how well it works.
Posted By: Blair338RUM Re: Gear Bag - 05/08/10
Originally Posted by ODay450
In my experience, insects in the tent at night were not a problem - just keep the mesh doors zipped up at all times. For tsetses the Skin So Soft Expedition is the only thing that really works. Plan on applying it when you leave in the morning and after lunch. It also works very, very well on mopani bees. I suggest taking 3 to 4 bottles because the PH and camp manager will want one when they see how well it works.

That's the gear to use........and ODay's advice regarding the mesh doors is simple and effective.

I'd give the shorts (pants and shirts)a miss......the thorns can be nasty!
Posted By: isaac Re: Gear Bag - 05/09/10
Gents....when you hunted in Africa, did you guys simply use hunting boots you already owned or do the nuances of hunting dangerous game require another purchase,due to things such as sole contruction and style or the terrain. For instance, is a top quality mid-height,partly meshed hiking boot preferable to an all-leather??

I ask for breaking in purposes and using whatever I need to purchase for this Fall's hunting season will accomplish that task.

Thanks in advance.

PS... So that there is no misunderstanding, I'll be bugging the schit out of you experts for so long as you'll entertain my questions. I'm researching my ass off but you never get the truly definitive answer. Asking those whove done it actually helps me sort through the sale's pitches.
Posted By: medicman Re: Gear Bag - 05/09/10
There have been some truly great advice on this subject off and on. I took a pair I had. They were unlined mid high camo wolverines. They were ballistic cloth and I took gators because of thorns, seeds and my own paranoia about snakes. Although the advice differred between companies refferenced, one thing remained constant and that was to bring unlined boots that were broken in and comfortable. I used wolverine because they fit mr well, and it is also my choice in a leather duty boot. Russel makes fine product too. If you use a particular boot here for hunting/hiking, get its unlined twin for Africa.

Just my two cents worth, and I am not at all an expert, or even that knowledgeable.

Randy
Posted By: ingwe Re: Gear Bag - 05/09/10
For instance, is a top quality mid-height,partly meshed hiking boot preferable to an all-leather??

In a word Bob, Yes..I think so...plus I also did a great deal of my hunting in normal tennis/running shoes. If seeds are an issue, I would duct tape the tops...and tape the laces down if theres a bunch of thorn constantly untying them...
I liked somewhat softer soles, so I didnt crunch too much stuff and make noise..JMHO..
Bob, frankly on clothing, footwear etc. I found I liked to use whatever I use stateside in warmer weather, with one exception...a tight weave shirt,Cabelas " serengeti" IIRC or Filson shelter cloth...keeps the thorns out, and the shirts don't rip. For cold mornings in the truck a lined Carhartt jacket was always ideal, and I always left it with my favorite tracker, to get more room in my suitcase for african junk on the way home! grin

I also found regular jeans are OK too.. so long as you don't use fabric softener on them ...it makes them soft enough for seeds to cling to, and thorns to get a grip on...

Cabelas Shirt, jeans,mid height pseudo "hiking" boots...

[Linked Image]

Cabelas shirt, jeans, cant see them, but wearing Asics running shoes...also note leather glove...nice for parting thorn branches out of the way. grin

[Linked Image]

Chilly morning, wearing 300 wt. fleece jacket...NOT good in the thorn, but PERFECT in a leopard blind...

[Linked Image]
Ingwe
Posted By: jorgeI Re: Gear Bag - 05/09/10
Bob: I wear Russell PHs or Courtney Selous. The latter I strongly recommend you get a pair OVER THERE for less than half the price. I'm sure Tim and the guys over there can take you to a place to get them. A good pair of lightweight sneakers like those available at Cabelas' are also great. You simply don't need anything heavy. As for clothing, I like shorts although I did get scratched up a few times but no big deal. As I said before, it does get quite chilly and again lightweight for me is the ticket. Cabelas has some "wind shear" stuff in hush tones (please, NO CAMO, but that's personal smile ). A wool type watchcap for the early morning truck rides is also useful. I'll dig up some links and send them to you. jorge
Posted By: ODay450 Re: Gear Bag - 05/09/10
Take a look at the New Balance 977 mid height walking boot. I took these and more expensive Howa boots to Zim last year and wore only the 977s. They are light weight, very quiet with soft soles, and very comfortable. Price is reasonable too.
Posted By: jorgeI Re: Gear Bag - 05/10/10
Question guys...I'm one susceptible to and a apparent magnet for insects. I understand the permethrin and Ultrathon benefits and will take such but I was wondering what best tips you experts might offer.

What do you do for your sleeping quarters, Tse-Tse's, if bitten??

And, would items such as a Thermacell pocket pack and a room lamp size Thermacell be of any particular benefit superior to all others.

Seems if I could carry a Thermacell, I wouldn't have to worry about being soaked in poison for 14 days.

Because on my susceptibilty,I may have to go the long pants and shirt routes but those which can be reduced to short sleeves or shorts,if I could.

I'm thinking Africa insects could be a trip [bleep]-upper if you don't pay attention.

I just saw this. We took the Thermacell and it worked, but you'll have to be really discreet with sneaking the butane in your luggage. Also, I've NEVER seen any bugs in Africa other than those infernal Tse-Tse, but I doubt they'll bother you in the leopard blind. Remember AVon skin-so-soft. it works! jorge
Posted By: wyoguide Re: Gear Bag - 05/10/10
I wore 1 pr of shoes, Merrill light hikers, worked perfect for everything, including traveling. I sorta wished I'd a had my Kennetreks for the mountain zebra hunt, but I got along just fine. I traveled in clothes that could be used for hunting, and packed 2 sets, which was plenty. I took 60 rounds for my 375, and used 8...including the 3 to check the zero. Took my Leica laser, totally unnecessary. I took 2 soft cases for our rifles, cuz the Ph didn't have much, took up a lot of room in my bag, but I left them there so we could use them next time! (grin) One thing I should have done was bring some gifts for the tracker/skinners, flashlights, leatherman tools, pocketknives. Also wish I would have thought to buy some candy and cigarettes in the duty free at the airport. I assumed I could just tip w/ $$, but the PH asked me no to give them any because there was a good chance they wouldn't show up for a week. So, I left their tip money w/ him, who holds it till the end of the season, then gives it to them. I did give them chewing gum, and they thought it was great.I took 4 pr of elkskin gloves, thinkin I might use them in the thorns, which I never did. so I gave them away and they were very popular. As far as clothes go, I think next time I'll buy some kakhi's and cotton shirts at the salvation army for a couple $ and leave them there when I'm done. I took a fleece jacket and it was just right. One good thing we did was take 2 cameras, ended up w/ lots of doubles on pics, but our smaller pocket size point and shoot got sand in the motorized lens on the last day and jammed up, rendered useless. Glad we had another. All in all, we took about 800 pics, and they're as much of a trophy to me as the horns/capes. The best advice I got, and what I'll pass on, is to make or buy yourself a set of shooting sticks and practice w/ them a LOT! I made mine from 3/4" curtain rods 6' long from home depot, held together w/ a vaccuum cleaner belt. Cost me $21 to build, IIRC.
Posted By: donsm70 Re: Gear Bag - 05/10/10
Very interesting reading. Having just returned from an African plains game adventure in the Limpopo Province of South Africa, I would like to share my experience. I agonized over what rifle/caliber combination to take. I settled on a Remington 700 Custom in .338 Win Mag. I knew it would be "overkill" on some of the smaller species, but adequate for gemsbok and kudu.

I ended up taking 10 animals from impala to kudu and couldn't have been more pleased with the results. I handloaded Barnes TSX in 210 grain BT and every animal died within zero to 50 yards of the shot. The only exception was the gemsbok, which I accept the blame on the initial shot placement, and it probably went 100 yards. With Africa's policy of "if you draw blood, you bought it", you do not want to wound an animal and not be able to find it. I'm very pleased to say that that never happened.

I'm not poo-pooing 7mm's, but the .338 worked very well and every shot was thru and thru with minimal tissue damage.
Posted By: isaac Re: Gear Bag - 05/10/10
Have a nice to do list prepared for myself,save for the great advice and tips here. Jorge...I have some nice 2x7x33 or 36 Leupies(can't remember which objective)but I'd have no problem slipping a Swaro on there if need be. Is upgrading to a illuminated Swaro an investment I should seriously consider?? If so, which one?

Ordered a couple of Bush shirts from a company called Tag Safari and 2 pairs of 14 pocket expedition cargo pants from Orvis as well as their travel vest. Ordered a wind-shear sweater from Cabelas and a hat from a company called Tilleys. I will go to the REI store near my offices to try on different mid-height hiking boots to beat the possible return problems from sizing and comfort of the fit. I am thinking Lowa but have an open mind.

I'm really about 2 months early on the air-fare but will use whatever cc benefits we have for upgrades to business class or, if my platinum can swing it, first class if we can get a 2 for 1 deal.

I'm thinking my Under Armour liner gloves would be fine for the chill and thorns but if leather is the better choice, I can have that covered with my own stash.

So far, I have 13 of my about 30 items on my check list covered. Karen says I can just borrow her leopard thongs so I don't need to buy any.

You guys have been just great. I am sincerely appreciative. I am also not done so I'll be bugging you gents for a good while still.
Posted By: Blair338RUM Re: Gear Bag - 05/10/10
isaac,

For boots, have a look at the Ecco Tracker IV or V's.......I've tried everything including custom Russells and nothing compares to them for comfort, ease of breaking in, shock absorption and quietness.
Just looked them up. I'll definitely give them a test fit as they do look about right for the job.

Thank you,Blair.
Posted By: Steelhead Re: Gear Bag - 05/10/10
Great thread.

I've never been but can't imagine a two pair of my Carhartt pants, a couple of tight weave shirts and a fleece jacket not working.

Course none of it says 'Safari' on it, oh well.
Posted By: ingwe Re: Gear Bag - 05/10/10
Bob..the tight weave on the "safari" type clothing will be a good thing...I just never figgered out what to put in all those pockets... grin
the pockets on the pants can get hung up in the thorn occasionally...
Good thing you got the Leopard Thong covered...its essential gear.... whistle
Let us know what you think of the Tilley hat over there...alot of folks like them, and they are first rate, quality wise...I always avoided brims, cause its hard enough to snake my fat head through the thorn...
What wyoguide said about smokes etc. from the duty free shop at the airport...excellent idea, I always stocked up on Marlboros...I don't smoke, but they are pretty much the gold standard, and a fraction of the price over there that they are here...
And oh, yeah, I always packed a soft rifle case..a Boyt...and was never sorry..it kept a lot of "truck wear" off the gun...

Ingwe
From all the pics I've looked through,your ensemble seems to work just fine.

Funny you mentioned "tight weave". That appears to be advice I just recently learned of.

50 degree swings in a day is something to be mindful of, as well. Light gloves, a fleece sweater and a skull cap for the leopard blind is something I'd have never imagined as a necessary save from some research and advice here. I saw 80s during the day and I was done as far as ever imagining protecting myself for those short chilly periods.
Posted By: ingwe Re: Gear Bag - 05/10/10
The fleece is GREAT in a leopard blind...no noise..
And one of many things good about the aforementioned Carhartts, is that they are tight weave too...
Riding around in an open truck after youve just scraped the frost off the windscreen is invigorating, and two hours later is when the 80 degree stuff kicks in... grin

Ingwe
Posted By: medicman Re: Gear Bag - 05/10/10
I was told to take a touque( for you non Canucks a watch or stocking cap). I took a balaclava and wore it 6 out of 1o mornings. I also took a doeskin shirt to wear over my tight weave cotton long sleeve shirt. I was warm enough, but left -40 degree weather to go on my trip, so even the cold days were a pleasant experience. It is disconcerting to see snow and frost in Africa, but you very well may encounter same.

Randy
Isaac: On the scope, no sense in going nuts with a high dollar Euro unless you want one. Also, talk to Tim about the kind of shooting conditions up there. If I'm not mistaken they don't shoot them in the moonlight or with a light so you might not need an ill reticle. Anyhow the most sensible scope is the Leupold 3.5X10X50 (with or without the ill reticle) for the leopard. That's what I have on my 338 that's posted here. You can crank that baby up to 10X with no light loss. That 2x7x33 is way too dim for me. Now if money were no option, the Swaro Z6 2X10 would be my choice. jorge
http://swfa.com/Leupold-35-10x50-VX-3-Riflescope-P12659.aspx
Posted By: hatari Re: Gear Bag - 05/10/10
Saw my doc yesterday Jeff and told him about your medicine recommendations and to be on the ready come next April. Jorge had recommended another med beside malatharon(sp) for avoidance of side effects but I only remembered it long enough to tell the doctor.

I bugged Jorge yesterday while he was outside on a lounge chair while his wife was pruning the shrubs. Jorge is the man!!

Jorge is the man, but I promise any call about safari is not "bugging" him. I didn't miss the irony that Dawna was the one working while Jorge was lounging around! Mother's Day???

I use Larium for malaria prophylaxis, and have really never had an issue with side effects. One dose out of 20 will make feel slightly feverish overnight, as if you had a sunburn. That's it. Doxycycline is a choice, but not my 1st choice for malaria protection. Also, some folks have a problem with Doxy and being in the sun. Just FYI.

Boots and shoes, use what you are comfortable in. Most safari country is flat, so there is not a lot of climbing. You can spend hours walking, so plan accordingly.

Bugs aren't an issue at night. Part of the reason is that safaris are conducted in the cool dry season. Deep Woods Off applied to exposed skin protects me from insects, and I spray my pant legs with permethrin, and tuck them into the gaiters in my boots.

TAG shirts are very good, as is all their stuff I've used.

I can see how early season might favor leopards, as they like some cover to come and go undetected.

Well in my defense Dawna was doing yardwork on the day BEFORE Mother's day. Besides, she ain't my mother smile Anyhow Bob, I'd listen to Jeff when it comes to these medicines as well, he makes some very valid points about the efficacy of Larium over Doxy. On the Scope, I'd wait and talk to Tim before deciding. jorge
I'm listening to all of you. My ignorance and excitement requires such.

Went to REI and picked up my hikers today and will break them in during my Texas hunt in 2 weeks.
Posted By: Blair338RUM Re: Gear Bag - 05/11/10
Bob..the tight weave on the "safari" type clothing will be a good thing...I just never figgered out what to put in all those pockets... grin
the pockets on the pants can get hung up in the thorn occasionally...
Good thing you got the Leopard Thong covered...its essential gear.... whistle
Let us know what you think of the Tilley hat over there...alot of folks like them, and they are first rate, quality wise...I always avoided brims, cause its hard enough to snake my fat head through the thorn...
What wyoguide said about smokes etc. from the duty free shop at the airport...excellent idea, I always stocked up on Marlboros...I don't smoke, but they are pretty much the gold standard, and a fraction of the price over there that they are here...
And oh, yeah, I always packed a soft rifle case..a Boyt...and was never sorry..it kept a lot of "truck wear" off the gun...

Ingwe

That is an excellent point about a soft case.....I normally buy one over there and leave it with the PH.
Posted By: toltecgriz Re: Gear Bag - 05/11/10
I like to take stuff (pants and shirts) that are well worn but not yet worn out...and just leave most of it.

Posted By: toltecgriz Re: Gear Bag - 05/11/10
I also tend to favor shorts when apprpriate. Apparently I have more blood than I need. I do the same thing in Texas mesquite country. A little blood never hurt anything. A little Bactine or a tube of generic anti-biotic cream can be handy. It's also good to have a little tan on the legs before you start.

Posted By: kaywoodie Re: Gear Bag - 05/11/10
I wish I could find an old style Euro rucksack. Not too big, but not too small. I have a French, Troupe Aero-Portee 1950 model, straight from " La Guerre Indochine", but it is a bit big. Would like something a little smaller of cotton canvas and leather. Like a day ruck. I don't care for nylon or camo. Call me old school, but I like the smell of canvas. You know that old jeep mildewy canvas smell... Have a thing for Hoppe's #9 too. But that's a different story....

BN
Posted By: ingwe Re: Gear Bag - 05/11/10
Originally Posted by kaywoodie
Have a thing for Hoppe's #9 too. But that's a different story....

BN

Bob, I'm guessin you'll have to tell me that one face to face over a cold one or twelve.... whistle

Ingwe
Posted By: kaywoodie Re: Gear Bag - 05/11/10
Heh, heh...... Nothin' like a redhead, her 1911A1 and a cleaning kit!!!!

Bob N.
Posted By: ingwe Re: Gear Bag - 05/11/10
Dooood!! laugh

Ingwe
Posted By: LJB Re: Gear Bag - 05/12/10
+2 on the soft case recommendation. Take a look at Red Oxx gun slips. I've tried to take my Boyt cases but they were just too bulky and heavy to pack in either my luggage or rifle case. The gun slips are light and low volume enough that you can take one for each gun. The slim profile allows them to easily fit into the truck gun racks.
Posted By: isaac Re: Gear Bag - 05/13/10
Hey fellas

Got my 375 set up with a Leupy Vari X 111 1.75x6x32 and am thinking I might upgrade,if necessary.

I have 2 very capable rifles chambered in 30.06 as well as one in 338. Both Zeiss scoped.

Which of the last 2 rifles would you prefer to take as a second rifle or should I just use the 375 for everything with a 270 gr.TSX?

My thinking was the 375 for Buff, but either the 30.06 or the 338 for everything else,including leopard.

If it is such that 2 rifles is unnecessary and simply a additional hassle, I'll just take the 375 but upgrade my scope to a Swaro Z6 in 1.7x 10x42 or thereabouts.

Any thoughts or recommendations?
Posted By: ingwe Re: Gear Bag - 05/13/10
Yeah Bob..take the .30-06 and do NOT upgrade the scope on the .375..

JMHO

Ingwe
Ingwe...first, I sincerely appreciate all your advice and the time you've spent helping me out.

Let me ask if you feel that Leupy V-111 offers me enough light gathering at those last minute dusk hours and will it offer me enough FOV and clarity for shots over 200 yards?
Bob..the Leupy will handle those tasks easily...no problemo. Ive done a ton or two of shooting over there with a 1.5-5 Leupold... was just shooting some 8"and 12" gongs with it yesterday @ 300 yds...
Light transmission during last minutes...likewise no problemo, even on 6X...
The durability of the scope is also at the forefront....

Ingwe
Posted By: hatari Re: Gear Bag - 05/13/10
Take the 30-06. You'll enjoy hunting with it, and it is far more pleasant to shoot than the .375. Two rifles are not a hassle, but three are.

Stick with the Leupold, they make great scopes and are my benchmark for all others. Kind of like the Nosler Partition bullet, there are more expensive and fancier projectiles, but when was a Nosler Partition ever really found lacking? Not often, for sure. Save your $1K+ on the Swaro and use it for more hunting.

After some dozen safaris, I can't think of really any shots I've taken where low light was an issue. Sure, my leopard was taken at dusk, but from a blind 40 yards from the bait. I took a buffalo as the sun was setting once in Zambia, but I hardly need the light gathering capacity of the Hubble Space Telescope to make the shot.

Most African is polite enough to show itself during daylight hours.
Originally Posted by hatari

Stick with the Leupold, they make great scopes and are my benchmark for all others. Save your $1K+ on the Swaro and use it for more hunting.

Best advice yet!

( see references to: " take half the clothes and twice the money you think you'll need..." posts grin )

Ingwe
Thanks for the education,fellas, and saving me a grand.
Oh, we didn't save you a grand...you'll spend it in the motherland... grin

Ingwe
OK boys...don't be getting a;ll ticked off and jerking a knot in my ass over this next one. Remember, I do divorce and criminal work so 3 weeks away from the office when it is just 3 of us is something I have to pay attention to...OK?? Plus, I got me 4 kids!

So,no "get on" African time, just relax and all that. I'm relaxed when I'm on top of things. Just my nature and how I am wired. Plus, if I can make 3K on a late bedtime hour or two, it gets me a sable instead of a baboon.

So, do laptops work in Zim??
If you don't chill now and then, somebody might be handling your divorce! wink
(kidding , half way, of course)

Hey, since I practice solo, what do you think happens at my office when I'm away? Nada, and the world does not come to an end. Enjoy life a little!
Yeah Jeff but all you have to do is write a script and keep all your clients in LaLa land for a few weeks.

I deal with the yellers,whiners and never happy folks!! All week long,bro'!

And, I asked you not to tell me what I knew you'd tell me!!
Then I'll write your whiners and yellers a script and keep them in La La Land while you're away. See how easy it can be?

If you defended stoners, you could just tell them to fire up the bong and mellow out until you return.
Posted By: test1328 Re: Gear Bag - 05/13/10
Isaac,
To answer your question, yes your laptop will work in Africa. The AC plug that you have for it currently will work with any Voltage/current arrangement you will come across around the world, you'll just need a plug adapter kit. For out in hunting camp, you'll probably need to get a charger that will allow you to charge your laptop's battery using the LandCruiser if your camp doesn't have electrical hookups. You'll also need a satellite hook-up to the web to allow you to transmit emails, etc. I haven't done this myself but have a very good friend who has done it many times and she has told me it works quite well. Makes for very interesting posts on forums like this during your hunt to let us all "be there with you" as your hunt progresses. I can find out specifics about her exact equipment and what all she uses if you're interested.

Just as an aside, I've been following this thread with great interest. You're getting excellent advice and I'm sure you'll have a great safari when you go. I used the Leupold 1.75-6 on my .416 Rem when I went and have the same scope on my two .375's so I'm sure you'll be fine with that. No issues with most any low light situation you might find yourself in for hunting buff. If you're using only the .375 for everything, including Leopard, then you might want to rethink the scope and just follow Jorge's advice on that. Personally, I'd also take the .30-06 just so you could shoot that if you took your buffalo right away. However, I took my .338 when I went since I really like that rifle. Don't suppose I helped with the selection. Either will do well, just take what you want!
Test
Posted By: medicman Re: Gear Bag - 05/13/10
Let your outfitter know your needs. Most of them do what they can to accommodate. AAA sells the plug adapters in a kit for around 30 bucks. I used the battery charger plugged into the addapter plug, and the 12 volt adapter for lighter plug will work just fine.(No laptop, just recharge camera/video batteries) If you have mis givings, buy a solar voltaic trickle charger thet produces 12 volts. They are small and work anywhere. I am glad you are going in spite of work demands.

Do try and mellow during the hunt itself, you will enjoy it more. The hunting day is rarely longer than 12 hours, and typically a couple hours of mid day break for you to touch base with the office.

Randy
Posted By: ODay450 Re: Gear Bag - 05/13/10
So, do laptops work in Zim??

The short answer is yes as long as you can keep the battery charged. When I was in Chewore South, electricity from a generator at 50 cycles was available for an hour or so in the morning and from dusk until about 9:00 PM. If you are planning to use the internet for email or document exchange you may have a communications problem.

The best way to answer that question is to check with Chifuti. My international cell phone would not work due to a lack of carrier signal. A sat phone may be a solution.
Thanks for the advice. It would be my intent to only deal with family and the most horrible client issue as my clients have long advance notice of my departures and to only contact me upon emergency.

Plus fellas, I'm a damn news junky/addict and I'm thinking the 6pm Zimbabwe news reports on matters from 6pm, a few months ago. JK.

Posted By: Tejano Re: Gear Bag - 05/13/10
Not sure if anyone suggested it but if you have any interest in Birding a good field guide is really nice to have along. Another for identifying the small stuff is helpful too, never could keep my Duikers straight.

You could add several hundred species to your bird list in only a couple of weeks in Africa if you moved around at all.

Another vote for Cardhart clothes as they held up to thorns well and the TAG line for lightweight clothes.

Dust control is good to keep in mind, a BUFF to wear while riding on really dusty tracks, scope covers,barrel cover, binocular case etc.

If you can get your baggage down to one rolling duffle and one carry on that is idea. Including rifles taken down in the duffle. The additional baggage and overweight fees add up quickly.
Posted By: jorgeI Re: Gear Bag - 05/13/10
I agree with Ingwe's and Hatari's advice. The 06' and the Zeiss are all you need for the cat and PG. The leupie on the 375 is what I used, but I would not use it on the leopard hunt given the low light. What kind of Zeiss do yo have. Also, when I go on high dollar trips like that, I take two rifles. The 06 and the 375 is about as goos as it gets. jorge
Posted By: George_De_Vries_3rd Re: Gear Bag - 05/13/10

Just saw this thread; good for you Isaac! I'll just add a couple of observations if I may based one one trip. Personal recommendations from someone you trust are about the best reference there is; I went to a place recommended by JB who in turn went on Ingwes recommend who I think went there two or three times. Things and people do change but there were no big disappointments.

Your idea of visiting a park and doing some touring I highly recommend along with a minimum of ten days; two weeks might be even better considering the distance traveled and the expense to get there. Our park touring (Etosha in northern Namibia) was a highlight and our guide became a very good friend. For the very same reason I strongly concur with the idea of combining either a buff or spot with your PG hunt. That's what I wish I had done; now, three years later the extra expense back then
would make no difference plus I very well may not get back there again.

Those are the High points I recommend along with getting shooting sticks some time in the near future and practicing with them and going through a professional organization that will plan and book your flights and itinerary; I used Gracy Int'l and the young lady who took charge of our trip did so flawlessly which is how our trip proceeded.

And, depending on job responsibility and family back home, I also highly recommend a rented sat phone. One more thing as I'm scribbling here, I'd also highly recommend medical evac insurance especially if you include leopard or buff but really anyway.
Posted By: Heeler Re: Gear Bag - 05/13/10
Take a couple of rolls of duct tape along to give to the outfitter. Along with one to use for yourself. I know my outfitter was kinda glad I gave him some as he was out and didn't want to ask me if I had any to borrow.

Also, some gallon and quart ziploc bags with zip-ties. Those can come in handy for many uses.
Excellent advice on the spare duct tape....

And Bob...leave the laptop at home...relax dude...any problems that crop up will still be problems when you get home...I promise... grin

Ingwe
I've called both Gracy Travel and Klimes. Debbie immediately contacted me with a intro e-mail, some kind words and left off by saying she would call me today. She did, before noon today and was a pleasure to speak to. She said we are about 1 month early as to fare quotes but that she has set her alerts to contact me no later than the third week in June to get the ball rolling. In the meanwhile, she'd send me a brochure packet. Klimes hasn't responded but, in fairness, it may be because of my premature call since fares are not up for our time frame, as yet.

Still, Debbie at Gracey Travel was all over it and that kind of attention means something to me.

FWIW from this Africa cherry,fellas.
Posted By: jorgeI Re: Gear Bag - 05/13/10
Debbie is who I deal with Bob, although many of my friends highly recommend Kathi and I've dealt with her in the past and she has been helpful. Either way you can't go wrong. jorge
Posted By: ingwe Re: Gear Bag - 05/14/10
Gracy.....

Ingwe
Posted By: Blair338RUM Re: Gear Bag - 05/14/10
Yeah Bob..take the .30-06 and do NOT upgrade the scope on the .375..

JMHO

Ingwe

Well, I'm going to disagree on this one, LOL. crazy

Bob,if you are going to take the 375 with 270 grainers for everything.....I'd put a 2.5-10X32 Nightforce NXS compact on it. The extra magnification will make the 375 more versatile and the NXS is a much better scope than the Leopold ( I use both on my rifles ). They have great eye relief as well and are built like a M1A2!!
Posted By: toltecgriz Re: Gear Bag - 05/14/10
Bob
If you want to go game viewing, do it before the hunt. It's just too boring afterwards plus it gets you accustomed to what you will be looking for. I don't rely on the PH or trackers to be the only ones on the lookout. Where's the fun in that?

Regarding the computer.
Give yourself a chance to be immersed in the hunt. It is more possible in Africa than anywhere else. You think hunting 24/7 if you are doing it right. For myself, once I think about "business," it's time to go home. Over trips made, I've programmed myself to not think of business (or home for that matter) until the trip is about over. It's worked out fine.

What you are contemplating as a hunt is not a Texas deer blind hunt with TVs and computers. It's Africa. Give it a chance before it's all gone. You can thank me later. If you aren't convinced, call me, pal. grin
Posted By: isaac Re: Gear Bag - 05/14/10
Ok,OK...I'm getting it,gents. No lap top.

A friend of mine has offered me a Leupy Vari 3 in 1.75x6x32(used with only slight ring markings)for $250. Is it enough of a improvement over my 1x5 to take him up on it? He also has a Vari # in 1.5x5x20 with a illuminated German #4 reticle he'll sell me for $475.

So many decisions!!
Bob..IMO the 1.75to 6 doesn't offer enough of an upgrade to the 1,5to 5...but I'm a "little scope "guy! grin

As to the 1.5 to 5 Illum....I am old school..the more there is..the more there is to go wrong....Illum reticles fall into that category...and Murphy's Law is alive and well in Africa..

KISS principle applies..

and BTW toltegriz was exactly right on the lap top....

Ingwe
Then that also means you were exactly right,huh?? Griz, like you, have those "right" moments on a frequent basis.

You don't feel that 32 on the possible upgrade helps with the light gathering,huh?
Posted By: George_De_Vries_3rd Re: Gear Bag - 05/14/10

There are a lot of answers that will work but I had a 1.75-6x Leup with a 4a reticle (Leup's) on my .375 that worked perfectly for me. In fact I'd say that heavy reticle was more significant to me than the power of the scope; it stood out bold against the grey-brown of the winter Namibian bush. And, my furtherest shot was about 200 yds on a greater kudu through a series of openings in the bush. Generally, where I hunted, shots tended to be on the short side to just beyond that.
Then that also means you were exactly right,huh?? Griz, like you, have those "right" moments on a frequent basis.

You don't feel that 32 on the possible upgrade helps with the light gathering,huh?

If you'll look at the exit pupils on high power about 4mm vs about 5mm...no, not much, especially for "over 40" eyeballs...

And, for the record, I hate being right ALL the time.... wink grin

Ingwe
Posted By: test1328 Re: Gear Bag - 05/14/10
Isaac,
You've got plenty of time, so if possible get your friend to loan you the scope and then compare them at last light with YOUR eyes to see which one looks better. If you can't get your friend's scope in your hands, go to a local sporting goods store at dusk and compare the two side-by-side. For the two scopes you're talking about, and for hunting purposes, there really isn't much difference in the magnification range. However, for light gathering ability, I personally see quite a difference in the two and would go with the 1.75-6X that has the larger objective. Will you need that bit of extra? No one can say, but it sure is nice to have if you need it. And for $250 bucks, why not? Just my 2cents.
Test
Posted By: wyoguide Re: Gear Bag - 05/14/10
+1 for Gracy
Posted By: jorgeI Re: Gear Bag - 05/14/10
Bob, I have both scopes and the 1.75 does give you a bit better light transmission IF, IF the scope is relatively new (less than three years old). As to the 1X5 with the Ill reticle, worthless for low light. I bought one for my 338 (I'm also a small scope guy) and practiced with it on a few hog hunts in low light and the 20mm objective just plain SUCKS for light transmission. As to the NF scope, they are indeed superb, but in my view too big & bulky for the 375. If money was not an issue, I'd buy either the Swaro PH in 1.75X6X42 (with a German #4) or the new super-duper Z6 in 2X10. Now THERE is one hell of a versatile scope. jorge
Thanks Jorge....The PH model comes in 1.75?? I thought the 1.75's were Zeiss and the 1.7 began in the Z-6 series of Swaro. I'll double check.

http://swfa.com/Swarovski-17-10x42-Z6-30mm-Riflescope-P12060.aspx
Posted By: toltecgriz Re: Gear Bag - 05/14/10
Frankly, I'd use the '06 on leopard if I could get away with it. Even a lowly .270 kills them deader than hell. smile
Posted By: maddog Re: Gear Bag - 05/14/10
Bob..IMO the 1.75to 6 doesn't offer enough of an upgrade to the 1,5to 5...but I'm a "little scope "guy! grin

As to the 1.5 to 5 Illum....I am old school..the more there is..the more there is to go wrong....Illum reticles fall into that category...and Murphy's Law is alive and well in Africa..

KISS principle applies..

and BTW toltegriz was exactly right on the lap top....

Ingwe

Listen to Ingwe, he knows of what he speaks! KISS...... grin

maddog
Posted By: jorgeI Re: Gear Bag - 05/15/10
Thanks Jorge....The PH model comes in 1.75?? I thought the 1.75's were Zeiss and the 1.7 began in the Z-6 series of Swaro. I'll double check.

http://swfa.com/Swarovski-17-10x42-Z6-30mm-Riflescope-P12060.aspx

Bob: I don't know if the PH series have been discontinued, I suspect Doug at Cameraland can chime in. I have a PH in that exact magnification, but that Z6 is the cat's meow! (no pun intended). I'd certainly have no issues with using the 06 on the leopard and the rest of the game you take light won't be an issue with the 375. jorge
Posted By: isaac Re: Gear Bag - 05/15/10
Damn Jorge...SWFA has this Zeiss Demo-A version on sale for $600 below MSRP

http://www.samplelist.com/-P198.aspx
Posted By: hatari Re: Gear Bag - 05/15/10
1.) Leave the laptop at home. Learn to delegate.

2.) Don't stress over scopes, the ones you have are good. At this point you're talking about trading in Miss Georgia for Miss Uruguay (or Germany in this case). The truth is when you're over 50, you can't get enough performance difference between the two to make it worth the trouble.

3.) A good travel agent is worth their weight in gold, as well as a meet and greet these days.

4.) A day or two of game viewing when you first hit in country is great if you have the time. If you're on for only 10 days, grab the rifle and blast away.

5.) IF you think that you'll do 10 days and make it quick to get back to work, listen to me and make it 14 days and enjoy. When later you're in Cardiac ICU with tubes running in and out of every imaginable place, you won't be thinking "damn, I should have worked more. What is 4 days of work? It ain't shiite. Go have fun!!!!
Posted By: AFTERUM Re: Gear Bag - 05/15/10
just remember....if you eat right, exercise, stay away from wine, women, and song, you are gonna have 2 extra years in the nursing home!!
Posted By: toltecgriz Re: Gear Bag - 05/15/10
Another reason not to go game viewing afterwards is because if the hunt is close to what it can be, you'll be in a hurry to get home, make some more money and go back. grin

Don't rush through your time.
Posted By: Steelhead Re: Gear Bag - 05/15/10
Don't forget the condoms Bob, AIDS rate is fairly high in all African nations.....
Posted By: Blair338RUM Re: Gear Bag - 05/15/10
Originally Posted by AFTERUM
just remember....if you eat right, exercise, stay away from wine, women, and song, you are gonna have 2 extra years in the nursing home!!

Pearler!!! laugh
Posted By: Blair338RUM Re: Gear Bag - 05/15/10

2.) Don't stress over scopes, the ones you have are good. At this point you're talking about trading in Miss Georgia for Miss Uruguay (or Germany in this case). The truth is when you're over 50, you can't get enough performance difference between the two to make it worth the trouble.

3.) A good travel agent is worth their weight in gold, as well as a meet and greet these days.

4.) A day or two of game viewing when you first hit in country is great if you have the time. If you're on for only 10 days, grab the rifle and blast away.

5.) IF you think that you'll do 10 days and make it quick to get back to work, listen to me and make it 14 days and enjoy. When later you're in Cardiac ICU with tubes running in and out of every imaginable place, you won't be thinking "damn, I should have worked more. What is 4 days of work? It ain't shiite. Go have fun!!!!

And the best advice on this thread!
Originally Posted by Steelhead
Don't forget the condoms Bob, AIDS rate is fairly high in all African nations.....

=======================

I'll pass along that morsel to Karen.
Thanks doctor. I'm in Zim for a 14 day hunt;last 2 weeks of May as it stands now.

I appreciate your advice. I have to add though that at 52, I can still notice a discernible difference between great scopes and superb ones.
Posted By: jorgeI Re: Gear Bag - 05/15/10

Maybe, but I know I wouldn't even consider a Leupold 2X7X33 on a leopard blind at dawn, dusk or even using a light. You booked for a 14 day cat/buff hunt, use every second of it! and add the sightseeing afterwards like Vic Falls. jorge
Posted By: Ready Re: Gear Bag - 05/15/10
Originally Posted by Steelhead

=======================

I'll pass along that morsel to Karen.

Courtesy and respect are halting the hand on the keyboard; thats to easy a pass to exploit.

smile
Posted By: phoenixdawg Re: Gear Bag - 05/15/10
Well with my "extensive experience" LOL! I would recommend the following and have had good success using the following:

One pair of prior pants work great for areas with lots of dense thorn brush, like I just experienced in KZN

2 pairs of convertible pants, shorts/long pants, the zip off legs

I like the LL Bean ripstop cotton shirts better than Cabelas serengeti shirts, but good nonetheless, long sleeve is good so you can roll them up if need to

I like Russell Boots and have a pair of their PH boots, I love them, but you can easily hunt in tennis shoes, hiking boots, etc. You don't have to buy boots for the occasion unless you want to.

I have a Red Oxx duffle bag and love it, I have the safari ph 5.5 I believe great bag but again any bag you have will fit the bill

I like simple, I take a .375 H&H, I load Barnes x bullets 270 grains, I use a Kahles 1.1x4 scope, but think I would prefer to go 1.5x6x42 and may switch if I end up building a .404 Jeffery.

Good Binocs, folks will differ here, but I like a larger field of view so I bring my regular 8x42 binocs, if makes game viewing a lot better.

Flashlight

Good socks, I found some Columbia Merino wool socks at their outlet and they are the best socks I have owned

Gaiters, I brought the canvas Boyt safari gaiters and they are great $20 well spent

sunglasses

Fleece jacket

Gloves, leather uninsulated, I like the churchill gloves, but it does not matter

prescription for ambien, stool softener, diarrea meds, antibiotic, malaria prophy,

You won't need much as other folks have posted, less than a week long elk hunt in Colorado

Posted By: hatari Re: Gear Bag - 05/17/10
Thanks doctor. I'm in Zim for a 14 day hunt;last 2 weeks of May as it stands now.

I appreciate your advice. I have to add though that at 52, I can still notice a discernible difference between great scopes and superb ones.

At 52, you can also notice a discernible difference between Miss Georgia and Miss Uruguay too, but at that level, do you need the upgrade? grin

If things are so dark that only $1K+ glass makes the shot possible, take your finger off the trigger and try again tomorrow. That's the scenario that starts the "I was mauled by a leopard" stories.
Posted By: jorgeI Re: Gear Bag - 05/17/10
Oh but those leopard scars! Better than Air Medals! smile jorge
© 24hourcampfire