Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
I wore 1 pr of shoes, Merrill light hikers, worked perfect for everything, including traveling. I sorta wished I'd a had my Kennetreks for the mountain zebra hunt, but I got along just fine. I traveled in clothes that could be used for hunting, and packed 2 sets, which was plenty. I took 60 rounds for my 375, and used 8...including the 3 to check the zero. Took my Leica laser, totally unnecessary. I took 2 soft cases for our rifles, cuz the Ph didn't have much, took up a lot of room in my bag, but I left them there so we could use them next time! (grin) One thing I should have done was bring some gifts for the tracker/skinners, flashlights, leatherman tools, pocketknives. Also wish I would have thought to buy some candy and cigarettes in the duty free at the airport. I assumed I could just tip w/ $$, but the PH asked me no to give them any because there was a good chance they wouldn't show up for a week. So, I left their tip money w/ him, who holds it till the end of the season, then gives it to them. I did give them chewing gum, and they thought it was great.I took 4 pr of elkskin gloves, thinkin I might use them in the thorns, which I never did. so I gave them away and they were very popular. As far as clothes go, I think next time I'll buy some kakhi's and cotton shirts at the salvation army for a couple $ and leave them there when I'm done. I took a fleece jacket and it was just right. One good thing we did was take 2 cameras, ended up w/ lots of doubles on pics, but our smaller pocket size point and shoot got sand in the motorized lens on the last day and jammed up, rendered useless. Glad we had another. All in all, we took about 800 pics, and they're as much of a trophy to me as the horns/capes. The best advice I got, and what I'll pass on, is to make or buy yourself a set of shooting sticks and practice w/ them a LOT! I made mine from 3/4" curtain rods 6' long from home depot, held together w/ a vaccuum cleaner belt. Cost me $21 to build, IIRC.

GB1

D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
Very interesting reading. Having just returned from an African plains game adventure in the Limpopo Province of South Africa, I would like to share my experience. I agonized over what rifle/caliber combination to take. I settled on a Remington 700 Custom in .338 Win Mag. I knew it would be "overkill" on some of the smaller species, but adequate for gemsbok and kudu.

I ended up taking 10 animals from impala to kudu and couldn't have been more pleased with the results. I handloaded Barnes TSX in 210 grain BT and every animal died within zero to 50 yards of the shot. The only exception was the gemsbok, which I accept the blame on the initial shot placement, and it probably went 100 yards. With Africa's policy of "if you draw blood, you bought it", you do not want to wound an animal and not be able to find it. I'm very pleased to say that that never happened.

I'm not poo-pooing 7mm's, but the .338 worked very well and every shot was thru and thru with minimal tissue damage.

Life Member...Safari Club International
Life Member...Rocky Mountain Elk Foundation
Life Member...Keystone Country Elk Alliance
Life Member...National Rifle Association
I
isaac Offline OP
Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
I
Have a nice to do list prepared for myself,save for the great advice and tips here. Jorge...I have some nice 2x7x33 or 36 Leupies(can't remember which objective)but I'd have no problem slipping a Swaro on there if need be. Is upgrading to a illuminated Swaro an investment I should seriously consider?? If so, which one?

Ordered a couple of Bush shirts from a company called Tag Safari and 2 pairs of 14 pocket expedition cargo pants from Orvis as well as their travel vest. Ordered a wind-shear sweater from Cabelas and a hat from a company called Tilleys. I will go to the REI store near my offices to try on different mid-height hiking boots to beat the possible return problems from sizing and comfort of the fit. I am thinking Lowa but have an open mind.

I'm really about 2 months early on the air-fare but will use whatever cc benefits we have for upgrades to business class or, if my platinum can swing it, first class if we can get a 2 for 1 deal.

I'm thinking my Under Armour liner gloves would be fine for the chill and thorns but if leather is the better choice, I can have that covered with my own stash.

So far, I have 13 of my about 30 items on my check list covered. Karen says I can just borrow her leopard thongs so I don't need to buy any.

You guys have been just great. I am sincerely appreciative. I am also not done so I'll be bugging you gents for a good while still.

The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails.
William Arthur Ward

B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
isaac,

For boots, have a look at the Ecco Tracker IV or V's.......I've tried everything including custom Russells and nothing compares to them for comfort, ease of breaking in, shock absorption and quietness.

I
isaac Offline OP
Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
I
Just looked them up. I'll definitely give them a test fit as they do look about right for the job.

Thank you,Blair.

The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails.
William Arthur Ward

IC B2

S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
Great thread.

I've never been but can't imagine a two pair of my Carhartt pants, a couple of tight weave shirts and a fleece jacket not working.

Course none of it says 'Safari' on it, oh well.

"Dear Lord, save me from Your followers"
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Bob..the tight weave on the "safari" type clothing will be a good thing...I just never figgered out what to put in all those pockets... grin
the pockets on the pants can get hung up in the thorn occasionally...
Good thing you got the Leopard Thong covered...its essential gear.... whistle
Let us know what you think of the Tilley hat over there...alot of folks like them, and they are first rate, quality wise...I always avoided brims, cause its hard enough to snake my fat head through the thorn...
What wyoguide said about smokes etc. from the duty free shop at the airport...excellent idea, I always stocked up on Marlboros...I don't smoke, but they are pretty much the gold standard, and a fraction of the price over there that they are here...
And oh, yeah, I always packed a soft rifle case..a Boyt...and was never sorry..it kept a lot of "truck wear" off the gun...

Ingwe

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
I
isaac Offline OP
Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
I
From all the pics I've looked through,your ensemble seems to work just fine.

Funny you mentioned "tight weave". That appears to be advice I just recently learned of.

50 degree swings in a day is something to be mindful of, as well. Light gloves, a fleece sweater and a skull cap for the leopard blind is something I'd have never imagined as a necessary save from some research and advice here. I saw 80s during the day and I was done as far as ever imagining protecting myself for those short chilly periods.

William Arthur Ward

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
The fleece is GREAT in a leopard blind...no noise..
And one of many things good about the aforementioned Carhartts, is that they are tight weave too...
Riding around in an open truck after youve just scraped the frost off the windscreen is invigorating, and two hours later is when the 80 degree stuff kicks in... grin

Ingwe

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I was told to take a touque( for you non Canucks a watch or stocking cap). I took a balaclava and wore it 6 out of 1o mornings. I also took a doeskin shirt to wear over my tight weave cotton long sleeve shirt. I was warm enough, but left -40 degree weather to go on my trip, so even the cold days were a pleasant experience. It is disconcerting to see snow and frost in Africa, but you very well may encounter same.

Randy

Praise the Lord for full Salvation
Christ Still lives upon the throne
And I know the blood still cleansess
Deeper than the sin has gone
Lester Roloff
IC B3

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Isaac: On the scope, no sense in going nuts with a high dollar Euro unless you want one. Also, talk to Tim about the kind of shooting conditions up there. If I'm not mistaken they don't shoot them in the moonlight or with a light so you might not need an ill reticle. Anyhow the most sensible scope is the Leupold 3.5X10X50 (with or without the ill reticle) for the leopard. That's what I have on my 338 that's posted here. You can crank that baby up to 10X with no light loss. That 2x7x33 is way too dim for me. Now if money were no option, the Swaro Z6 2X10 would be my choice. jorge

A good principle to guide me through life: “This is all I have come to expect, standard lackluster performance. Trust nothing, believe no one and realize it will only get worse…”
I
isaac Offline OP
Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
I

William Arthur Ward

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by isaac
Saw my doc yesterday Jeff and told him about your medicine recommendations and to be on the ready come next April. Jorge had recommended another med beside malatharon(sp) for avoidance of side effects but I only remembered it long enough to tell the doctor.

I bugged Jorge yesterday while he was outside on a lounge chair while his wife was pruning the shrubs. Jorge is the man!!

Jorge is the man, but I promise any call about safari is not "bugging" him. I didn't miss the irony that Dawna was the one working while Jorge was lounging around! Mother's Day???

I use Larium for malaria prophylaxis, and have really never had an issue with side effects. One dose out of 20 will make feel slightly feverish overnight, as if you had a sunburn. That's it. Doxycycline is a choice, but not my 1st choice for malaria protection. Also, some folks have a problem with Doxy and being in the sun. Just FYI.

Boots and shoes, use what you are comfortable in. Most safari country is flat, so there is not a lot of climbing. You can spend hours walking, so plan accordingly.

Bugs aren't an issue at night. Part of the reason is that safaris are conducted in the cool dry season. Deep Woods Off applied to exposed skin protects me from insects, and I spray my pant legs with permethrin, and tuck them into the gaiters in my boots.

TAG shirts are very good, as is all their stuff I've used.

I can see how early season might favor leopards, as they like some cover to come and go undetected.

"The Democrat Party looks like Titanic survivors. Partying and celebrating one moment, and huddled in lifeboats freezing the next". Hatari 2017

"Hokey religions and ancient weapons are no match for a good blaster at your side, kid." Han Solo
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Well in my defense Dawna was doing yardwork on the day BEFORE Mother's day. Besides, she ain't my mother smile Anyhow Bob, I'd listen to Jeff when it comes to these medicines as well, he makes some very valid points about the efficacy of Larium over Doxy. On the Scope, I'd wait and talk to Tim before deciding. jorge

A good principle to guide me through life: “This is all I have come to expect, standard lackluster performance. Trust nothing, believe no one and realize it will only get worse…”
I
isaac Offline OP
Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
I
I'm listening to all of you. My ignorance and excitement requires such.

Went to REI and picked up my hikers today and will break them in during my Texas hunt in 2 weeks.

William Arthur Ward

B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
Originally Posted by ingwe
Bob..the tight weave on the "safari" type clothing will be a good thing...I just never figgered out what to put in all those pockets... grin
the pockets on the pants can get hung up in the thorn occasionally...
Good thing you got the Leopard Thong covered...its essential gear.... whistle
Let us know what you think of the Tilley hat over there...alot of folks like them, and they are first rate, quality wise...I always avoided brims, cause its hard enough to snake my fat head through the thorn...
What wyoguide said about smokes etc. from the duty free shop at the airport...excellent idea, I always stocked up on Marlboros...I don't smoke, but they are pretty much the gold standard, and a fraction of the price over there that they are here...
And oh, yeah, I always packed a soft rifle case..a Boyt...and was never sorry..it kept a lot of "truck wear" off the gun...

Ingwe

That is an excellent point about a soft case.....I normally buy one over there and leave it with the PH.

T
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
T
I like to take stuff (pants and shirts) that are well worn but not yet worn out...and just leave most of it.

"Be sure you're right. Then go ahead." Fess Parker as Davy Crockett
T
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
T
I also tend to favor shorts when apprpriate. Apparently I have more blood than I need. I do the same thing in Texas mesquite country. A little blood never hurt anything. A little Bactine or a tube of generic anti-biotic cream can be handy. It's also good to have a little tan on the legs before you start.

"Be sure you're right. Then go ahead." Fess Parker as Davy Crockett
K
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
K
I wish I could find an old style Euro rucksack. Not too big, but not too small. I have a French, Troupe Aero-Portee 1950 model, straight from " La Guerre Indochine", but it is a bit big. Would like something a little smaller of cotton canvas and leather. Like a day ruck. I don't care for nylon or camo. Call me old school, but I like the smell of canvas. You know that old jeep mildewy canvas smell... Have a thing for Hoppe's #9 too. But that's a different story....

BN

Founder
Ancient Order of the 1895 Winchester

"Come, shall we go and kill us venison?
And yet it irks me the poor dappled fools,
Being native burghers of this desert city,
Should in their own confines with forked heads
Have their round haunches gored."

WS

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Originally Posted by kaywoodie
Have a thing for Hoppe's #9 too. But that's a different story....

BN

Bob, I'm guessin you'll have to tell me that one face to face over a cold one or twelve.... whistle

Ingwe

Page 3 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

366 members (1badf350, 17CalFan, 1lesfox, 163bc, 160user, 06hunter59, 32 invisible), 2,386 guests, and 1,035 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,329
Posts18,526,628
Members74,031
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.