Print Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
K
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
K
Heh, heh...... Nothin' like a redhead, her 1911A1 and a cleaning kit!!!!

Bob N.

Founder
Ancient Order of the 1895 Winchester

"Come, shall we go and kill us venison?
And yet it irks me the poor dappled fools,
Being native burghers of this desert city,
Should in their own confines with forked heads
Have their round haunches gored."

WS

GB1

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Dooood!! laugh

Ingwe

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
L
LJB Offline
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
L
+2 on the soft case recommendation. Take a look at Red Oxx gun slips. I've tried to take my Boyt cases but they were just too bulky and heavy to pack in either my luggage or rifle case. The gun slips are light and low volume enough that you can take one for each gun. The slim profile allows them to easily fit into the truck gun racks.

I
isaac Offline OP
Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
I
Hey fellas

Got my 375 set up with a Leupy Vari X 111 1.75x6x32 and am thinking I might upgrade,if necessary.

I have 2 very capable rifles chambered in 30.06 as well as one in 338. Both Zeiss scoped.

Which of the last 2 rifles would you prefer to take as a second rifle or should I just use the 375 for everything with a 270 gr.TSX?

My thinking was the 375 for Buff, but either the 30.06 or the 338 for everything else,including leopard.

If it is such that 2 rifles is unnecessary and simply a additional hassle, I'll just take the 375 but upgrade my scope to a Swaro Z6 in 1.7x 10x42 or thereabouts.

Any thoughts or recommendations?

The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails.
William Arthur Ward

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Yeah Bob..take the .30-06 and do NOT upgrade the scope on the .375..

JMHO

Ingwe

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
IC B2

I
isaac Offline OP
Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
I
Ingwe...first, I sincerely appreciate all your advice and the time you've spent helping me out.

Let me ask if you feel that Leupy V-111 offers me enough light gathering at those last minute dusk hours and will it offer me enough FOV and clarity for shots over 200 yards?

The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails.
William Arthur Ward

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Bob..the Leupy will handle those tasks easily...no problemo. Ive done a ton or two of shooting over there with a 1.5-5 Leupold... was just shooting some 8"and 12" gongs with it yesterday @ 300 yds...
Light transmission during last minutes...likewise no problemo, even on 6X...
The durability of the scope is also at the forefront....

Ingwe

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Take the 30-06. You'll enjoy hunting with it, and it is far more pleasant to shoot than the .375. Two rifles are not a hassle, but three are.

Stick with the Leupold, they make great scopes and are my benchmark for all others. Kind of like the Nosler Partition bullet, there are more expensive and fancier projectiles, but when was a Nosler Partition ever really found lacking? Not often, for sure. Save your $1K+ on the Swaro and use it for more hunting.

After some dozen safaris, I can't think of really any shots I've taken where low light was an issue. Sure, my leopard was taken at dusk, but from a blind 40 yards from the bait. I took a buffalo as the sun was setting once in Zambia, but I hardly need the light gathering capacity of the Hubble Space Telescope to make the shot.

Most African is polite enough to show itself during daylight hours.

"The Democrat Party looks like Titanic survivors. Partying and celebrating one moment, and huddled in lifeboats freezing the next". Hatari 2017

"Hokey religions and ancient weapons are no match for a good blaster at your side, kid." Han Solo
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Originally Posted by hatari

Stick with the Leupold, they make great scopes and are my benchmark for all others. Save your $1K+ on the Swaro and use it for more hunting.

Best advice yet!

( see references to: " take half the clothes and twice the money you think you'll need..." posts grin )

Ingwe

I
isaac Offline OP
Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
I
Thanks for the education,fellas, and saving me a grand.

William Arthur Ward

IC B3

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Oh, we didn't save you a grand...you'll spend it in the motherland... grin

Ingwe

I
isaac Offline OP
Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
I
OK boys...don't be getting a;ll ticked off and jerking a knot in my ass over this next one. Remember, I do divorce and criminal work so 3 weeks away from the office when it is just 3 of us is something I have to pay attention to...OK?? Plus, I got me 4 kids!

So,no "get on" African time, just relax and all that. I'm relaxed when I'm on top of things. Just my nature and how I am wired. Plus, if I can make 3K on a late bedtime hour or two, it gets me a sable instead of a baboon.

So, do laptops work in Zim??

William Arthur Ward

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
If you don't chill now and then, somebody might be handling your divorce! wink
(kidding , half way, of course)

Hey, since I practice solo, what do you think happens at my office when I'm away? Nada, and the world does not come to an end. Enjoy life a little!

"The Democrat Party looks like Titanic survivors. Partying and celebrating one moment, and huddled in lifeboats freezing the next". Hatari 2017

"Hokey religions and ancient weapons are no match for a good blaster at your side, kid." Han Solo
I
isaac Offline OP
Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
I
Yeah Jeff but all you have to do is write a script and keep all your clients in LaLa land for a few weeks.

I deal with the yellers,whiners and never happy folks!! All week long,bro'!

And, I asked you not to tell me what I knew you'd tell me!!

William Arthur Ward

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Then I'll write your whiners and yellers a script and keep them in La La Land while you're away. See how easy it can be?

If you defended stoners, you could just tell them to fire up the bong and mellow out until you return.

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Isaac,
To answer your question, yes your laptop will work in Africa. The AC plug that you have for it currently will work with any Voltage/current arrangement you will come across around the world, you'll just need a plug adapter kit. For out in hunting camp, you'll probably need to get a charger that will allow you to charge your laptop's battery using the LandCruiser if your camp doesn't have electrical hookups. You'll also need a satellite hook-up to the web to allow you to transmit emails, etc. I haven't done this myself but have a very good friend who has done it many times and she has told me it works quite well. Makes for very interesting posts on forums like this during your hunt to let us all "be there with you" as your hunt progresses. I can find out specifics about her exact equipment and what all she uses if you're interested.

Just as an aside, I've been following this thread with great interest. You're getting excellent advice and I'm sure you'll have a great safari when you go. I used the Leupold 1.75-6 on my .416 Rem when I went and have the same scope on my two .375's so I'm sure you'll be fine with that. No issues with most any low light situation you might find yourself in for hunting buff. If you're using only the .375 for everything, including Leopard, then you might want to rethink the scope and just follow Jorge's advice on that. Personally, I'd also take the .30-06 just so you could shoot that if you took your buffalo right away. However, I took my .338 when I went since I really like that rifle. Don't suppose I helped with the selection. Either will do well, just take what you want!
Test

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Let your outfitter know your needs. Most of them do what they can to accommodate. AAA sells the plug adapters in a kit for around 30 bucks. I used the battery charger plugged into the addapter plug, and the 12 volt adapter for lighter plug will work just fine.(No laptop, just recharge camera/video batteries) If you have mis givings, buy a solar voltaic trickle charger thet produces 12 volts. They are small and work anywhere. I am glad you are going in spite of work demands.

Do try and mellow during the hunt itself, you will enjoy it more. The hunting day is rarely longer than 12 hours, and typically a couple hours of mid day break for you to touch base with the office.

Randy

Last edited by medicman; 05/13/10.

Praise the Lord for full Salvation
Christ Still lives upon the throne
And I know the blood still cleansess
Deeper than the sin has gone
Lester Roloff
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by isaac
So, do laptops work in Zim??

The short answer is yes as long as you can keep the battery charged. When I was in Chewore South, electricity from a generator at 50 cycles was available for an hour or so in the morning and from dusk until about 9:00 PM. If you are planning to use the internet for email or document exchange you may have a communications problem.

The best way to answer that question is to check with Chifuti. My international cell phone would not work due to a lack of carrier signal. A sat phone may be a solution.

Maryland - Where the criminals are the government.
I
isaac Offline OP
Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
I
Thanks for the advice. It would be my intent to only deal with family and the most horrible client issue as my clients have long advance notice of my departures and to only contact me upon emergency.

Plus fellas, I'm a damn news junky/addict and I'm thinking the 6pm Zimbabwe news reports on matters from 6pm, a few months ago. JK.

William Arthur Ward

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Not sure if anyone suggested it but if you have any interest in Birding a good field guide is really nice to have along. Another for identifying the small stuff is helpful too, never could keep my Duikers straight.

You could add several hundred species to your bird list in only a couple of weeks in Africa if you moved around at all.

Another vote for Cardhart clothes as they held up to thorns well and the TAG line for lightweight clothes.

Dust control is good to keep in mind, a BUFF to wear while riding on really dusty tracks, scope covers,barrel cover, binocular case etc.

If you can get your baggage down to one rolling duffle and one carry on that is idea. Including rifles taken down in the duffle. The additional baggage and overweight fees add up quickly.

"When you disarm the people, you commence to offend them and show that you distrust them either through cowardice or lack of confidence, and both of these opinions generate hatred." Niccolo Machiavelli
Page 4 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

644 members (12344mag, 1234, 10gaugeman, 1badf350, 10gaugemag, 1lessdog, 69 invisible), 2,779 guests, and 1,248 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,418
Posts18,528,245
Members74,033
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.