Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
#4053196 05/03/10
I
isaac Offline OP
Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
I
Looks like I'll finally be able to make my African hunt in 2012. 10 days. What are the essentials, including clothing gear and footwear, and what online shopping source would you guys recommend for the purchases?

Thanks in advance. By making this early check list, I think some might imagine how excited I am to finally have this wish realized.

The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails.
William Arthur Ward

GB1

A
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A
be careful now....you don't want to "peak" too early!

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by isaac
Looks like I'll finally be able to make my African hunt in 2012. 10 days. What are the essentials, including clothing gear and footwear, and what online shopping source would you guys recommend for the purchases?

Thanks in advance. By making this early check list, I think some might imagine how excited I am to finally have this wish realized.

Whoever you hunt with will give you a good list of equipment and clothing appropriate to the hunt and the terrain.

Generally speaking, people take *way* too much clothing and kit. Given that most Camps operate a daily laundry service, three sets of hunting clothes is ample and for a week you probably get by with two.

What I would recommend is make sure any other clothes you take can double as hunting clothes at a pinch...

Get a small daysack as a carry-on for the plane and carry one basic set of basic hunting clothes in it and then you have a little lee-way if your hold luggage gets delayed or goes missing

Once in your hunting camp, the day sack will then come in handy for carrying your daily essentials...

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Bob: That's great news! What tiem of year and where are you going? WHat are yo after? I'd love to help sort through this as I'm sure others with lots more experience that I will as well. I'm excited for you. jorge

A good principle to guide me through life: “This is all I have come to expect, standard lackluster performance. Trust nothing, believe no one and realize it will only get worse…”
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Yep..good on ya Bob..fill us in!

Ingwe

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
IC B2

I
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I
I think Cabela's is the best source for most stuff.

I like their 7-pocket pants--long and 7" inseam shorts. Also their short sleeved shirts. Their safari jacket is on sale for $49.95, I believe.

Make sure you know the temperature range. I've seen frost in RSA in June and 90 degree temperatures in Zim in September.

Other stuff might include two warm sweaters and, as you were advised, three sets of each type of clothing.

Next time I think I'll wear a set of hunting clothes on the plane.

Footwear? Any good goretex hiking boots. Go to your nearest outdoor store and ask them what they recommend for several hour hikes. I packed a higher pair and wore a lower pair on the plane. Some short tennis shoes doubled as slippers. Socks: The hiking store recomended two layers, some thick ones on the outside and thin ones on the inside. I dispensed with the thick ones.

If you wear shorts, buy a pair of gaiters from the hiking store or--much better--from Long Grass on the Internet.

Clothing should be dark green, not light khaki.

Any non-garish baseball hat works.

A light pair of gloves.

A small flashlight (and a spare).

Don't blame me. I voted for Trump.

Democrats would burn this country to the ground, if they could rule over the ashes.
T
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
T
Bob
Whatever you're comfortable with in Texas in May won't be far off for much of Africa.

I'm happy for you. Best wishes

"Be sure you're right. Then go ahead." Fess Parker as Davy Crockett
I
isaac Offline OP
Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
I
Thanks to all. I'm taking notes.

Griz...I was thinking the exact same thing as for Texas and it is why I have posted now. I could field test some gear and was thinking of a Cabelas online purchase for some safari styled shirts and pants/shorts.

Jorge...thanks man. As of now, I'm thinking of April as it is the month of Karen's birthday and she told me she'd love to go. I have some plains game on tap, of course, but a leopard has been a dream of mine for years. If I can't go the leopard route, I'm seriously considering a buff. A dear friend of mine has hunted the following linked place 3 times now and has worked some very nice deals for me with the outfitter should I choose his operation for my hunt. If you have a moment from your hectic schedule, have a look and please offer me any advice or tips you might have for me.

Again, thanks to all for taking the time to educate me.

http://www.africanscentsafaris.com/index-2.html

Last edited by isaac; 05/04/10.

The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails.
William Arthur Ward

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Bob, hope you don't mind, I just looked at the link...looked good, especially the " Special" but what is MOST important. is that you know and trust someone who has hunted with them..thats worth a whole list of references... makes you more comfortable with your decision, and gets your questions answered...
April would not be my first choice..its warm and wetter then..last time I went was in April and we went then mainly so I could find some snakes ( we found them...)....nuff said? grin

Good luck on your planning and trip..you'll find it a life changing experience..

Ingwe

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Congratulations on making the decision to come to Africa and be warned it's very addictive.

I wouldn't recommend SA as a good venue for leopard or buff though.

Have you swept the visioned valley with the green stream streaking though it?
Searched the vastness for a something you have lost?
Have you strung your soul to silence? Then for God's sake go and do it
Hear the challenge, learn the lesson, pay the cost
IC B3

I
isaac Offline OP
Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
I
Ingwe...are you kidding?? I encourage the advice and I certainly appreciate it. My buddy has been there and just fell in love with the place and has taken some spectacular animals. I simply chose April because of Karen's birthday and it lessens her sassiness when she realizes how much I'm going to be paying should I toss in a Buff or leopard.

If it's May or whatever is not a huge thing for us. What month suits your fancy,Ingwe?

Last edited by isaac; 05/04/10.

William Arthur Ward

I
isaac Offline OP
Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
I
Originally Posted by Shakari
Congratulations on making the decision to come to Africa and be warned it's very addictive.

I wouldn't recommend SA as a good venue for leopard or buff though.

==========

I hear you. I'm leaning towards this man on the referral of a close friend of mine who has been there. I'd love a leopard as my priority but, as you can probably tell, I haven't a clue as to other PHs or their operations.

I have time though and will keep an open mind towards the suggestions and advice....all of it!! Thanks by the way.

PS..Karen wants only to tag along with me occasionally for the hunts,especially dangerouis game, but really wants to get into the photography/safari pic scene, if that means anything to you hunter guys as you dole out your advice!

We're newbie first timers so anything will probably blow us away.

Lastly...I may take my son and will likely need to budget myself to around 35K. If that's foolish thinking, please tell me straight up!

William Arthur Ward

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
Glad to hear you are lining up a trip. I'm hoping to go back in 2012 also. I've got some revenge to administer on a kudu...

Don't forget chapstick and sunscreen. I went in September and man was it dry. Really had to watch yourself or you'd get burnt quick.

As far as clothes. I ended up wearing some green carhartt jeans. Bought them at a local farm and home store. Comfortable and pretty durable in all the brush. And for boots I just wore my well broke in Justin lace-up ropers. I did have to get a few new shirts but other than that, kept the clothes budget pretty light and used what I had on hand.

He went over yonder way
M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
isaac, the plains game special looks very good. To each his own, but I'd do the special, and tack on 3 days at Krueger Nat. Park, for gameviewing/photography. I'm like the other guys, better venues for leopar/cape buff [think ZIM].

As far as clothes, I wore green/brown carrhart pants, and they were great in the thorns. Don't over pack. I thought I packed light for my 1st. trip, and took twice as much as I needed. Any good well worn boots will work, no inulation, and I don't think you need goretex. I liked my cabela kangaroo bird hunter boots, that I wore everyday. They were very lightweight. Take lotsa pics, and enjoy yourself. Like everyone says, it won't be your only tripgrin.

maddog

L
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
L
Originally Posted by Heeler
Don't forget chapstick and sunscreen. I went in September and man was it dry. Really had to watch yourself or you'd get burnt quick.

cant agree more. this is the first thing i always reply to these questions. it is a common mistake to think that because it is cold, that the sun is less of a problem. mind you, never met a ph that didnt have sunscreen on him, or in his pick-up. the second, and probably the most important thing is to bring along your smile. Africa is Africa. it will mostly be up to you if you enjoy it or not. sense of humour ? check! sunscreen? check! the rest is easy.

Last edited by LT_DAN; 05/04/10.

I might hunt too much, but it is still not enough!
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle

If it's May or whatever is not a huge thing for us. What month suits your fancy,Ingwe?

June and July are favorites....
They say half the fun is planning..in the case of Africa..its not...MOST of the fun is there! grin

ingwe

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Originally Posted by ingwe

June and July are favorites....
They say half the fun is planning..in the case of Africa..its not...MOST of the fun is there! grin

ingwe

YUP!!! grin

maddog

I
isaac Offline OP
Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
I
Ingwe...thanks.

This thread, some PMs and even two private emails have really been great pieces of information, advice and tips.

Much appreciated.

William Arthur Ward

I
isaac Offline OP
Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
I
Also, I will admit to being a bit leary as to my 1st selection because of the leopard concerns raised by a few here. So, even if I went with this guy, it's more than a matter of driving an hour away to be in a good leopard producing area,huh?

I'd love a leopard, about 5-7 plains game choices and a great park nearby for Karen's safari pic taking. My son will be content with the plains game alone so maybe I could get a leopard and settle for a couple to a few of the game my son doesn't tag.

William Arthur Ward

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Wade's Rules for Packing (destination is irrelevant):

1. Make two piles on your living room floor: one pile of clothes, and the second pile of money.

2. Cut the clothes pile in half, and double the money pile.

3. You are ready to depart.

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

594 members (1_deuce, 1OntarioJim, 222Sako, 219 Wasp, 10gaugemag, 160user, 65 invisible), 2,621 guests, and 1,283 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,391
Posts18,527,768
Members74,031
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.