Print Thread
Hop To
K
Kcoyboy Offline OP
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
K
I want to create a contender or encore 223 pistol with a short barrel manly for plinking out to 100 yds. I want adj iron sights for it also as I wont be mounting a scope. Which barrel maker would you people advise would be the best? Also are the short forends easy to come by as I want a barrel about 8 inches or a little less. I presume the contender frame would be lighter which I would want. What would be the optimum twist rate be for it40 grain up to 62 grain? One in 9? Also for an encore rifle( I presume a contender couldnt take the pressure) Who would make a barrel in 223 wssm? Any help would be appreciated as Im new to single shots Thanks

GB1

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I don't know of anybody who will do an Encore or Contender barrel in any of the short mags. Match Grade Machine will only do them on bolt actions. They do a whole slew of chamberings for the Encore & Contender. If you are a handloader you might want to look @ the .22 BR. That is doable on the Encore frame.

Match Grade Machine Chamberings

There comes a time when one must take a position that is neither safe, nor polite, nor popular -- but one must ask, "Is it right?"

Martin Luther King, Jr.
K
Kcoyboy Offline OP
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
K
called match grade machine and they will do short barrels down to 6 in. Who makes the best forearms and custom grips?

F
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
F
Match grade will treat you good, i have had them make me quite a few tubes. always great service.

i personally prefer Georgia Jim for grip, have several sets of his...lots of grip & forend options.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

============================================================

F
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
F
almost forgot, although there are tons of color options for laminate, some folks dont like it...if you want wood, contact TC Dave through the Specialty Pistols website, Dave is also top notch.

[Linked Image]

============================================================

IC B2

J
JSH Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
I second the recommendation for Match Grade Machine, excellent barrels in my experience. As for twist if you went no heavier than 62gr you may be able to get by with a 1:10 or even 1:12. 1:9 should be close to a sure thing up to 69gr.

As for grips and forends, the above recommendations are all good and I would add Tonys Forends and Grips as well. http://www.tonysforendsandgrips.net/
I ordered a "semi-finished" forend from him for an Encore rifle that turned a 2MOA stringing 17MachIV into a reliable sub MOA shooter. I ordered the semi-finished version to try and match the color and finish of an existing buttstock. It came pillar-bedded and fit almost perfectly. The only finishing required was a quick wipe with 600grit paper and staining and finishing to taste. I was and am pleased.

Check out specialtypistols.com as well as there are many informed opinions on there and probably someone who has already done what you are trying.

You have probably already considered this but a 8 inch 223 is going to be LOUD!

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

498 members (1badf350, 10Glocks, 1beaver_shooter, 10gaugemag, 1Longbow, 160user, 70 invisible), 2,268 guests, and 1,235 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,134
Posts18,502,693
Members73,989
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.