-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
If the newer 85's haven't caught on in the BPCR game it's certainly news to me, and who ever made that proclomation sure hasn't looked around the firing line at a bpcr shoot.

the most expensive bullet there is isn't worth a plug nickel if it don't go where its supposed to.
www.historicshooting.com
GB1

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Originally Posted by Ranch13
If the newer 85's haven't caught on in the BPCR game it's certainly news to me, and who ever made that proclomation sure hasn't looked around the firing line at a bpcr shoot.

Yep. smile

Paul

Stupidity has its way, while its cousin, evil, runs rampant.
J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
Ranch 13,

You seem to be the one here making a lot of statements that simply ARE NOT TRUE based on your opnions rather than fact.

READ my posts rather than sticking to your biased line against the Ubertis.

Nobody said the Browning BPCRS rifles were not in use at matches.
Nobody said they were not an accruate rifle. Or a decent gun for the money.

What I actuall SAID, if you would READ rather than ARGUE is that they were not popular with the top shooters in the BPCR crowd.They are NOT an authentic replica of an 1885 Winchester. Period.

The top shooters only condsider them to be a beginners gun because they do NOT take down like and orgional for cleaning and they don't have the same trigger mechanism. They can't be upgraded

I don't know what matches you claim to attend, but
I'm an NRA Master Class BPCR Silhouette shooter. I have gone to PLENTY of matches.. I used 2 Browning BPCRs in the 1990s.

If you go to the nationals or any big NRA BPCR Silhoutte state shoot ,the Brownings ARE NOT numerous guns on the line.

The current winchester "hunter" 1885s are all but worthless for any serious BPCR match uses other than the short range SASS matches. The guns are simply too light for mid to long range match use. Also, standard Miroku barrels are a bit iffy with cast bullets and black powder due to their shaollow rifling design.

Last edited by jim62; 05/20/10.

To all gunmaker critics-
"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena.."- Teddy Roosevelt
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by jim62

Ranch 13,

You seem to be the one here making a lot of statements that simply ARE NOT TRUE based on your opnions rather than fact.

READ my posts rather than sticking to your biased line against the Ubertis.

Nobody said the Browning BPCRS rifles were not in use at matches.
Bobyd said they were not an accruate rifle. Or a decent gun for the money.

What I actuall SAID, if you would READ rather than ARGUE is that they were not popualr with the top shooters in the BPCR crowd.They are NOT an authentic replica of an 1885 Winchester. Period.

The top shooters only condider them to be a beginners gun because they do NOT take down like and orgional for cleaning and they don't have the same trigger mechanism. They can't be upgraded

I don't know what matches you claim to attend, but
I'm an NRA Master Class BPCR Silhouette shooter. I have gone to PLENTY of matches.. I used 2 Browning BPCRs in the 1990s.

If you go to the nationals or any big NRA BPCR Silhoutte state shoot ,the Brownings ARE NOT numerous guns on the line.

The current winchester "hunter" 1885s are all but worthless for any serious BPCR match uses other than the short range SASS matches. The guns are simply too light for mid to long range match use. Also, standard Miroku barrels are abit iffy with cast bullets and black powder due to their shaollow rifling design.

Alright listen up Jackass. The statements I made about the Uberti is based on my actual experience with it. The gun is in my safe. A good many years before I ever had internet or heard of the great all knowing Jim62, have yet to meet the dumbass , nor have any desire to. I spent alot of time with original winchesters. The Crescent butt on this Uberti IS close but not quite like a winchester. NONE of the 3 shooters that shot the rifle with me at Alliance Ne after the long range match on Saturday had ever experienced a butt plate quite that shape either in an original Winchester or current manufacturer. One of those fellas has a number of originals in his safe and uses them on regular basis.
NONE of us have ever encountered an original Winchester that had the button for the buttrap sticking that far out as to actually be painful when shooting. I remind you this one is a 38-55.
All one has to do is take a look around at a BPCR shoot, while they certainly aren't the most numerous rifles they are in attendance in probably a close second maybe 3rd place numbers. I can think of 10 of those rifles from shooters across 4 different states tha I see several times a year. And have noticed a goodly number of them at other shoots I attend but do not know the folks that own them.
Now dumbass go back and read my initial post on this topic. I'll repeat it here, I ( meanining Me) would buy a Winchester marked one before I bought one of the Italians if buying new. If a good deal on a used one (like this 38-55 I have in MY possession that if you get to see it will be the day hell froze over) then yes by all means get it.
And next time junior you decide to be the keyboard commando and decide what/how someone came about their OPINION on something take a minute to think about if you're really that damn smart.

the most expensive bullet there is isn't worth a plug nickel if it don't go where its supposed to.
www.historicshooting.com
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
[quote=jim62
If the purcahser wants a MECHANICALLY authentic 1885- he won't get it with an 1885 made by Miroku- whether it's a Browning OR a Winchester marked rifle. He will get a well made rifle that is SORT OF an 1885.

I have owned over a done of those rifles spread out over a 30 year span from the 1970s onward. All those guns - Browning /Winchester 1885s-are nothing more than the 1970s B-78 Browning made to look a look more like an orgional winchester COSMETICALLY. Other than an added upper rear tang on the more recent rifles, the action is the same. It's the real reason why the gun never really caught on with the 1885 fans in the BPCR game. The BPCR model with the Badger barrel shot very well and overall the guns were a good value. The problem was the action simply WAS NOT a real 1885 and so, it did not sell well enough for Browning to keep it in the lineup

The Uberti actions are near clones of the orgional 1885 actions. The only thing Uberti did was put reduntant action springs in them. They have BOTH the leaf spring of the early 1885s cobioned with the coil spring of the later guns.

About the only thing I do not like about the Uberti actions is the fact they only go to half cock on opening -like a Winder Musket. When altered to fully cock on opening they work identically to the origionals. As a matter of fact, if you were blind folded and worked a converted Uberti and an orgional 1885 ,you can not tell the difference in either feel or sound.

I also never had any issues with the crecent trap buttplate on the 38-55 Uberti I owned. The gun shot very well even with it's slow twist- which is what the origional rifles did have on them. [/quote]

Sorry there looser but I don't see anything in this post you made about top,bottom or begining shooters.

www.historicshooting.com
IC B2

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
I'm not a keypboard commando.And any names you wish to call me here can certianly be applied to you.

And like I said, READ my posts before you post. That might help. My opinions are based on my experiences with both brands of rifles as well. And you are certainly entitled to your opinions. Just don't pass them off as facts. Especially when your facts are wrong- like claiming the current Winchester 1885s to be made in America.

I doubt you would ever meet me at a NRA BPCR Silhouette match because I doubt you shoot the game very much. If you did you, would not be making the claims you do about the current Miroku made guns "popularity" at registered shoots. Hell even at the Alliance Nebraska shoots, I doubt 10% of the guns are Miroku made 1885 rifles of ANY brand.

As far as your "problems" with the Unerti buttplates, they are an exact replicas of the earliest large frame Winchester cresent rifle plates, trap and all. They are the same plate Winchester used on early 1876, 1885 and 1886 rifles prior to 1890. The origionals had the same trap in the butt.

To all gunmaker critics-
"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena.."- Teddy Roosevelt
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by blairvt
I'm going to use it just as a nostalgiac way to deer hunt, no target matches or anything like that. Just shoot off the bench some and hunt with it occasionaly. They are strong enough to shoot any 45-70 right?

Apparenty there's too many big words in this post for someone here to understand?

www.historicshooting.com
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by blairvt
CDNN has some Winchester 1885's right now. Could you guys who know more about them than me take a look and tell me what you think. Download the catalog, pg 75.
http://www.cdnninvestments.com/

Just incase my previous answer got missed, yes those are really good prices, and if a person wanting a hiwall for the purposes you've clearly stated earlier,that's the place to go.

www.historicshooting.com
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by jim62

Any relation to that guy in Conneticut running for senate,,, you know the distinquished viet nam vet?

www.historicshooting.com
J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
No.. but you probably are related to him.

Your inability to deal in FACTS sure is the same.

Tell us all about those "American Made" Winchester marked 1885s on CDNN site.

I'm sure FN/Browning sure would like to know they are really made here and not Japan. wink

To all gunmaker critics-
IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Jim find where anybody said those guns were made in the USA, could you do that for us there liltyke?

www.historicshooting.com
J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
Originally Posted by Ranch13

As to the junk buttplate, myself and 3 other people shot this rifle and to a one the comment was all the same, "that butt has got to go". It's nothing like the crescent on a real winchester.

Still if it were my decision and was looking at spending 1000+$ on a highwall I'm going with the one that has Winchester roll mark and wp proof on the barrel.
But then I do tend to let my AMERICAN pride flare up from time to time...

That was posted by you on this very thread.

The fact is the Uberti cresent plate is EXACTLY like that found on the earliest 1885s. But then again you would have to know something about early orgioanl Winchester 1885s to even know that.

Second, look at the bottom paragraph.. If you were not claiming that the Winchester 1885s were made in America with that statement ,what WERE you implying?

Maybe that there is some sort of bullschit, heeman "pride" to be attached to buying a very inauthentic "copy" of an 1885 with a mere NAME rollmarked on a barrel when the gun itself is made in JAPAN and licensed from Winchester/Olin by a company made in Belgium?

You are a funny guy... wink

To all gunmaker critics-
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Dsmn there liltot, you are good, you got me. By golly how stupid am I thinking that with you being there and helping to run that 100 rounds thru that rifle that evening, and all.......

www.historicshooting.com
J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
I never said you did not shoot the rifle. Heck you can "like" or dislike the Uberti plate all you want.

But owning or even shooting a Uberti 1885 sure does not mean you even undertand how it relates to an origional Winchester 1885. Your posts here show that.

So does the BS about your "American pride" having ANYTHING to do with owning a Japanese made gun. :

To all gunmaker critics-
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Ah you mean you weren't there, so you really don't know the other folks that were there with ME????????
Wow you really had me going there for a while...
Yeh I own a Miroku built 95 in 405, damn fine rifle.
My bpcr's are Big Timber or built from USA parts except for one Cheap Italian Junker sharps.

www.historicshooting.com
B
blairvt Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
B
allright fella's, take it easy! I started this post wanting to hear from some guys who know more than me about these rifles, didn't mean to start a war. Your punishment is to go in together and buy me one of those Winchester's

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
eek Actuallyyyy, I thought I saw on that CDNN thing that they gave you a discount for buying 2, so have em drop ship one in 405 to my lgs when you order yours.... grin

www.historicshooting.com
B
blairvt Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
B
I just ordered the Winchester, sorry Ranch13, didn't have your address to send you one

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
laugh Awww dannggg I knew I forgot sumptin.... laugh

Well what did ya get???? Can't keep us in suspense like this......

www.historicshooting.com
B
blairvt Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
B
Winchester 1885 limited series Hunter model 28" barrel, 45-70. Comes with a tang sight.

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

368 members (1lesfox, 160user, 17CalFan, 1badf350, 10ring1, 12344mag, 35 invisible), 2,162 guests, and 1,062 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,452
Posts18,528,911
Members74,033
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.