-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
http://host.madison.com/ct/news/local/article_8beab0fe-6273-11df-8aee-001cc4c002e0.html

http://easterncougar.org/CougarNews/?p=1835

Note the weak-kneed Wisconsin Department of Natural Resources response to the attack...put out game cameras and bait.

I have close houndsmen friends in Wisconsin that would have that cat treed pronto. The same houndsmen that offered to track the cougar that came out of old barn near Milton WI and eventually was shot and killed by Chicago police. The DNR said no thanks we do not want to stress the animal or have it and dogs get hit on a highway.

Last edited by roundoak; 05/18/10.

You're Welcome At My Fire Anytime

B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
On the news just now here in Oregon (The Dalles) three sighting in ten days all on the same side of town close to the local hospital. Thay said no live stock in the area have been taken wounder what ther eating? no hounds allowed here the lib's in Portland and Eugen took care of that. I bet thay will whine loud and clear when a small child gets nailed.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
You guys need some......you can have half of ours.

Liberalism is a mental disorder that leads to social disease.
A
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by Big_Papa
Thay said no live stock in the area have been taken wounder what ther eating?

Frogs, snakes, poodles..........

Casey

Casey

Not being married to any particular political party sure makes it a lot easier to look at the world more objectively...
Having said that, MAGA.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Big_Papa,

I bet thay will whine loud and clear when a small child gets nailed.

When a child is killed by a big cat the liberals will rally around to save the cat. They are mentally it otherwise they would not vote the way they do.

"Only Christ is the fullness of God's revelation."
Everyday Hunter
IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Cougar in same vicinity kills and injures livestock.

The WDNR needs to bring out the dogs and take of this problem.

http://www.channel3000.com/news/23714529/detail.html

Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
http://host.madison.com/wsj/news/local/environment/article_707bf696-799a-11df-b236-001cc4c03286.html

Another cougar attack on livestock. Finally the WDNR is calling out the dogs and consistient to the core culture of the WDNR, they want to MANAGE the dogs used in a chase.

A close friend has volunteered to track critters for the WDNR for a number of years and has been successful in bringing some problem bears to bay. A couple of years ago he offered to track the cougar spotted near Milton Wis but the WDNR would not consider it because it may put the public at risk in a densely populated area. This was the cougar killed by Chicago police.

My friend got a call to track this cougar but because of some business commitments could not do so. He said the WDNR had a whole list of rules or restrictions that the dog owner must follow. Here are some examples of WDNR dog MANAGEMENT.

Dogs should not engage in a chase on or across a interstate road.
Dogs should not engage in a chase within a city or village limits.
Dogs should not engage in a chase within a county or state campground.
Dogs should not engage in a chase within a cemetery.
Dogs should not engage in a chase on lands owned by Native Americans.

S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S

Maybe after a politician's kid gets eaten things will change.

A few years ago a man was attacked by a cougar in a local state park. His wife pulled a ball point pen and fought off the cougar. It was at that time illegal to carry in a park. I believe his name was Hamm. You can look it up.

Hunting cougars has been illegal in California for about 20 years.

www.paracay.com

It's better to live rich than die rich. Live simply so that I may simply live large.
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by roundoak
http://host.madison.com/wsj/news/local/environment/article_707bf696-799a-11df-b236-001cc4c03286.html

Another cougar attack on livestock. Finally the WDNR is calling out the dogs and consistient to the core culture of the WDNR, they want to MANAGE the dogs used in a chase.

A close friend has volunteered to track critters for the WDNR for a number of years and has been successful in bringing some problem bears to bay. A couple of years ago he offered to track the cougar spotted near Milton Wis but the WDNR would not consider it because it may put the public at risk in a densely populated area. This was the cougar killed by Chicago police.

My friend got a call to track this cougar but because of some business commitments could not do so. He said the WDNR had a whole list of rules or restrictions that the dog owner must follow. Here are some examples of WDNR dog MANAGEMENT.

Dogs should not engage in a chase on or across a interstate road.
Dogs should not engage in a chase within a city or village limits.
Dogs should not engage in a chase within a county or state campground.
Dogs should not engage in a chase within a cemetery.
Dogs should not engage in a chase on lands owned by Native Americans.
No pun intended, but this state has gone to the dogs.. I'm surprised there's only 5 rules.. They must be dumbing down.. Yep, that cougar just needs to find the city's cemetary, then lie down and take a nice long nap.. laugh

It's a waste of time to deal with the DNR here... They're completely political and filled with bunny huggers.. People just need to take care of their own business, one way or t'other..

Ex- USN (SS) '66-'69
Pro-Constitution.
LET'S GO BRANDON!!!
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
I agree, unfortunately it is most likely going to take the loss of human life here in Wisconsin to have a chance of removing the laws protecting cougars in Wisconsin. The same could be said regarding the protection of wolves.

The Jim Hamm story has a good ending thanks to a courageous woman.

IC B3

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Up until just a few years ago, Idaho's Blaine county (the home of liberal Sun Valley) was the only county in the state without a cougar hunting season. The IDFG finally got tired of trapping cougars in garages and responding to dead dog calls so they opened a season. The locals screamed, but the season stands.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S

A friend and good hunting buddy who is a retired Game Warden once had to strangle a cougar with his bare hands. The beast had been caught in the wheel well of a large RV but was still very much alive. He wanted to shoot it but a crowd had gathered and wanted him to "save the magnificent beast", so he strangled it instead. He had to call for backup to get him out of the angry crowd.

This happened in the same park not far from where Hamm was attacked.

This is the type of Bambi mentality that persists in most urban areas. Unfortunately there are more of them than us which is why we need Organizations like the NRA.

www.paracay.com

It's better to live rich than die rich. Live simply so that I may simply live large.
O
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
O
Shot placement and boolit selection is key, as always..

"The Bigger the Government, the Smaller the Citizen" - Dennis Prager LINK

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Wow. I thought I knew some tough guys!

stumpy

L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
Milton is just up the road a ways- Illinois DNR is no better, in fact they totally deny the existence of cougar in north/nw IL, despite multiple sightings, tracks, and damage to livestock. As Redneck says, once the bunny-huggers invade DNR systems, folks are left to handle the situations by themselves, and SSS is the only way to evade having your picture and address plastered all over the newspapers and every bunny-hugger mag in the country.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

409 members (1badf350, 163bc, 10Glocks, 10gaugemag, 10ring1, 1Longbow, 44 invisible), 2,068 guests, and 1,102 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,216
Posts18,504,034
Members73,994
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.