Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Sitka Deer:<P>Answer is you can't. Or with great difficulty. That should read .375 Winchester not H&H. Guess I had Africa on my mind when I typed that. Geesh, some people are so literal. LOL<P>I am going to edit it now.<p>[This message has been edited by If It Flies It Dies (edited June 06, 2001).]

"When we put [our enlisted men and women] in harm's way, it had better count for something. It can't be because some policy wonk back here has a brain fart of an idea of a strategy that isn't thought out." General Zinni on Iraq

HR IC

M
M
Charlie,<BR>I've only seen three rifles blown up and all three were Remingtons, two we use for teaching aids for hunters safety, one is a semi-auto 30-06 the other is a model 700 or 721 I'am not sure. The third was a new model 700, this does'nt mean anything I just thought I'd let you know they all can blow up.

A
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A
There is not a nickels worth of difference in strenth between a M-70 Win., a Rem. 700, a Ruger 77 or a good Mauser..The Mauser is the hardest to blow up, its near impossible because they are hard inside and soft outside and they "puff up", while the others fragment..take your choice. I'll take puff.<P>------------------<BR>Ray Atkinson<BR>atkinsonhunting.com<BR>208-326-4120

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Is this confessin for dumb stuff time?I once reloaded 3 225 win cartridges right along with my 22 250's.It shot fine,made a funny noise,hit in the black,and the case sort of fell in love with the chamber.This was in a 722 rem and the gas from the badly ruptured case vented just like it is supposed to.<P>No,I aint gonna tell you how the other two shot!!!<P>------------------<BR>Boone and Crockett was rednecks

Never holler whoa or look back in a tight place
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
If it flies<BR>I KNOW you made a virtual typo, but it is nice of you to give me a gimme cheap shot. <P>Did see a guy at the range one time using a stick to beat his bolt closed. He could not understand why the new ammo he bought would not close in his 270. <P>Someone had suggested he try 180 grain bullets, but he could only find them in 30-06, and he knew they were the "same" case. <BR>art<P>------------------<BR>Life is too short to hunt with an ugly gun.

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
IC B2

J
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
J
I think the test of action strength Jim in Idaho is referring to is the test P.O.Ackley published in 'Handbook for Shooters and Reloaders'. It is mighty interesting reading.<BR> It's a long time back now, but in the '60's, I believe P.O. Ackley wrote a column in one of the gun mags, in which he also referred to the 'action blow up test'. Ackley said (if I remember right), that the strongest action he had tested was the Ruger Number 1.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J Brown; Without wishing to get into any kind of confrontation, I would like to remind you that the Remington 721-722[now 700] Actions have proved themselves beyond any doubt over the 5 or so decades they have been around. More accurate rifles are built on this action than all others combined. You may call it a POS if you wish, but millions of accurate, dependable 700's are out there, doing what they are asked to do without fuss or bother. Before I'm accused of being thoroughly biased, I own many different makes of rifles, including Pre-64 M70's, Pushfeed M70's, Ruger 77 & 77MkII's, Mauser actions, No 1 Rugers. I like features of all of them, But when I contemplate building a true tackdriver, I will invariably choose the M700 action. I started using 700s the year they came out, and have never had a failure of any kind [ heard of some, actually saw one bolt handle that had come off.] But they are as dependable as any other made, and we could argue the push-feed, CRF issue all day, fact is the difference isn't worth spitting on. Whatever a person prefers, that is what he should use, without condemning what others may prefer. FWIW, feed any of them the wrong recipe, they'll come apart, what matters is that the shooter survives without serious injury. Regards, Eagleye <P>------------------<BR>A bad day in the woods beats a good one inside!

Artificial Intelligence is no match for Natural Stupidity.
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
back to that add, "The strongest receiver known" can mean the stongest receiver "known" the the guy writing the add. This person could clame that he only knows about Ruger and a $75 p.o.s. blew light specials made is Taiwan for you safty. well i gess what i'm saying is it is all a play on word and should not be payed atention to enless there is a study that is stated.

----------------

"Anyone who would trade their freedom for safety deserves neither freedom or safety". -Ben Franklin

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Well I shoot the old tang safety Ruger in 300 Winchester Mag, and loaded up some ammo in steps with the 200 Grain bullet and slowly increasing the load. Well I guess I over did it as one shot blew back a bit of gas and when I finally managed to hammer the action open with a piece of 2x4 The primer dropped out and could be dropped back into the back of the case with ease, and yet the gun still checked out okay and shoots well to this day, and even my brother that was with me was astounded that a Ruger would take that kind of a load. I guess like all things some will be better made than others. But I like them.

"The 375HH is the greatest level of power you can get for the investment in recoil." (JJHack)
79s and losttrail, biggest waste of air.
C
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
C
Really guys, there is nothing wrong with Rugers. They are some of the best made guns out there with quality control superior to Remingtons. Sometimes that are not so aesthetically pleasing, but they are almost always good shooters. The SRH is the most powerful and the strongest, but it is also kinda big to pack.

IC B3

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I forget which mag it was in, but there was an interview with Bill Ruger himself. I was a good article and cover much ground, but what I want to pass on was Bill Ruger's single biggest point for improvement for gun making.<P>Steel alloy quality control at a reasonable price.<P>To paraphrase, he basicly stated the the 'batches' of steel alloy used in the gun making industry varied by such margins that most products had to be 'over designed' and heavy to be reliable, and even at that he stated once in a great while a batch would be brittle and that was the worst of them all, since there is no [bleep] prior to catastophic failure. When queried why the do not demand better QA for the steel, his reply was that it would more then 3x the cost of the firearm.<P>Strentgh and integerty come from BOTH design and materials used. Faults in either will do you in. I do not personally know if Mr. Ruger was on the complete level in that article, but I do tend to believe him. I know for a fact that NO US firearms manufacture controls thier OWN foundry for the steel alloys they use in manufactering of firearms.

..pick..
F
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
F
After re-reading the Ackley report on actions three things are very interesting.<P>1. Ruger #1's were not tested.<BR>2. Ariska's (Japanese WW2 Rife)is very strong. The strongest of the group P.O. tested.<BR>3. Ariska is the single most ugly action in the world. Only the French MAB comes close.

Fish Springs
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

565 members (1minute, 264magnum, 06hunter59, 222Sako, 160user, 10gaugemag, 65 invisible), 2,354 guests, and 1,264 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,538
Posts18,491,436
Members73,972
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.