Print Thread
Hop To
T
turtle Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
T
I am planning on fishing in Yellowstone lake this July. I know I need a permit for the park, but do I need a Wyoming non-ersident license also?

Any spinning lure suggestions for that time of year? I plan on using ultra-light spinning tackle with 2-4lb mono.

thanks pardners!!

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
No Wyo. license needed..
IIRC your spin tackle needs to be "lead free" so Id look aty Mepps and Panther Martins size 0 thru 4...the Panthers make a "lead Free" version..)
Habitually the Cutts are relatively close to shore..within about 50 yds or so....

Ingwe

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana

Son of a liberal: " What did you do in the War On Terror, Daddy?"

Liberal father: " I fought the Americans, along with all the other liberals."

MOLON LABE

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Sounds like fun.
If memory serves, Yellowstone lake is pretty windy in July?

Have I got that right,Tom?

"For joy of knowing what may not be known we take the golden road to Samarkand."
James Elroy Flecker

A
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
A
You now have to buy a permit to fish in Yellowstone, but you don't need a state license. Kill all the Lake Trout you catch, too . . . And have fun!

IC B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
It can be a windy SOB on the lake. Lead free on lures, if you're in Jackson - check out the Snake River Angler, they contacted a company to make lead free Panther Martin type lures, called Whistle Pigs. They work well. I always launched from Grant Village/West Thumb. You can work the shoreline right from the ramp around the edge of the Thumb. I never left W. THumb due having a small craft and scary, high winds sometimes. On the NW side of the ramp a little ways is a geyser basin, cuttys stack here, you can get them on hardware and with the fly rod using orange or blood colored leaches. Keep the Lakers, let the Cutties go.

IF you are there to fish, dont overlook Lewis Lake. The best lake fishing in the park IMO. You dont need to go all the way to the channel either, I wouldn't. Again, blood and orange leaches, panther martins, Vibrax and spoons with some orange on them. The brown trout are the best eating fish I have ever had.

I always found it funny that the Park Circus won't let you fish with lead, yet they let you use a lead anchor. I unfortunately left a 30lb lead pyramid anchor on the bottom of the Lewis Lake one spring day right after ice off....

Protect WYDAHO fish and game, fence out Utah.
T
turtle Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
T
Thanks All!!!!!!!!!!!

T
turtle Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
T
Has anyone ever used a "jakes" lure there?

P
Pat Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
I say get the permit to fish "The Thumbs" also.... Had a hoot a few years back!

Cheap things are not good, good things are not cheap.
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Jakes spin-a-lure is one of the best trout lures around. If I'm fishing trolling in a boat I use the bigger one, and if I'm casting and reeling I use the Li'l Jake. Both are great.

Bart

IC B3

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Jakes "paper clip" works just fine on Jellystone and every other trout lake I've tossed them into.

T
turtle Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
T
What colors? for spinner & spoons, here in the south I usually use black,white,yellow. What colors for the trout up there?

thanks for the help

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
I liked using the Yellows, reds, and gold when I fished Yellowstone Lake.

ddj

Many men go fishing all their lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after. - Henry David Thoreau

The best part of hunting and fishing was the thinking about going and the talking about it after you got back. - Robert Ruark
T
turtle Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
T
thanks

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Krocodile Spoons in hammered brass with orange stripe, silver with yellow or red stripe or straight yellow Krocodile has always worked well for me. I like Blue Fox - Vibrax Spinners in green, gold or silver. Blue sometimes too.

Lewis is one of the better lakes to fly fish too.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Jake's Spin o lure gold with red spots is the lure for the cutts in Yellowstone lake. I've caught lake trout with them too. Last year in July we were catching as many lake trout as cutts. Someone above stated that the cutts are usually within 50 yards of shore and I'd say that's been my experience as well. Be sure not to keep any cutts and they want you to kill any lake trout even if you don't want them.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

563 members (2500HD, 10gaugeman, 10gaugemag, 1OntarioJim, 222Sako, 1lessdog, 61 invisible), 2,450 guests, and 1,313 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,154
Posts18,484,287
Members73,966
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.