Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Hey Guys,

I have a November sheep hunt planned this year, and the draw application will be happening at the end of this month. I have a very high chance of drawing the tag and plan on spending 10-16 days in the mountains chasing a ram with the bow.

This area is the Canmore bowzone and is known for being able to hunt late season rams in cold temps in the rut. My plan is to stay on the mountain and hunt every day, coming back to camp in the valley and hunting from there, rather than returning the 3 hour hike back to civilization to sleep.

My dilemma arrises from my 'financial commitments' and the ability to look at some of the gear that I'm looking at for this hunt. I have some very good high end backpacking gear, including a nice Hilleberg Atko tent and a few good sleeping bags, lots of lightweight gear, etc.

My one purchase I wanted to make (and still might) is a Kifaru Tipi and stove combination. I figured a 4 or 6 man tipi would keep me up on the mountain, and allow me (and a hunting partner) to stay in the hills, dry clothes, warm up, feed ourselves, stay comfy, etc.

I'm not sure that I can commit to the purchase of a tipi/stove before the season, so I'm looking at options. Temps can get down to -30C at times, although thats not the 'norm'. I am trying to decide if I can either make-do with my Hilleberg (or another tent) and a tarp setup with an outside fire/shelter/etc for warming up, drying clothes, cooking, etc.

My other option is to beg, borrow, or plead for someone I can find who is willing to rent a tipi/stove combination. Thats a hard find up here in Canada, but still an option...

Thoughts? Can it be done without a tipi/stove and be done with enough comfort? Should I postpone till next year when I can dedicate more funds towards it to have a 'perfect' setup? Should I just get out there and hunt my ass off and make it work? lol

Thanks in advance!

GB1

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
You can do it! Have you considered a Go-lite tipi and adding a stove jack? Some new wood stoves coming out soon according to some on here. Easier on the wallet than the Kifaru route.

MtnHtr

S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
Get out there and suck it up! If thats not an option for you, and you want a heated BP tent, pull a few more shifts at work, pick up a paper route wink or sell your first born and buy what you want, hell, you have untill November!

Its all about priorities, and if you already own some good stuff, your just mucking about with the finer details!

Somewhere, there is a village missing its idiot!!!
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Good points guys...and after sleeping on it I think that I should be able to figure something out, make something work, and deal with things as they come.

I have a few options as backups for borrowing from a few members here who have PM'd me, and more importantly I think I can do some looking, scavenging, and be a bit resourceful on what I can make work for gear to keep me up there.

Missing this hunt would really pizz me off, so I think this is the year to just give it heck and do it! Maybe i just needed the wakeup call after a nights sleep!

C
CCH Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Don't miss it. Life happens and these sorts of opportunities aren't to be missed. I had an Alaskan trip planned for 2006. It didn't work out and now the odds of it every happening are pretty slim. Shouda, coulda, woulda. As I said in the PM, pretty sure I can help you out with a loaner so don't let that be an issue.

IC B2

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
You guys have given me new hope, and new commitment to making sure I get ready for this hunt 100%.

Did I mention how great some of the guys are on here?

Now....the planning continues!

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by CCH
Don't miss it. Life happens and these sorts of opportunities aren't to be missed. I had an Alaskan trip planned for 2006. It didn't work out and now the odds of it every happening are pretty slim. Shouda, coulda, woulda. As I said in the PM, pretty sure I can help you out with a loaner so don't let that be an issue.
So very true!!! The last two falls have been tough for me with either life or $$ limiting the amount I could hunt (I hunted 8 days last year). I was hoping this year would be better, but it doesn't look like it is going to be. So, if you can go, just GO! I'd rather go and be bit uncomfortable than not go.

the first 3 years i backpack hunted my tent was 2 8'X10' blue tarps the rest was done with the surrounding follage with no stove i bought a stove after a 3 day hunt this fall were it rained steady untill the evening i walked out. The temps went from the mid 40's to cold enough that a 3 L bladder froze in an inch in the ) bag with me on the ground because i was too lazy to make a bed out of evergreen limbs. My point is it can be done with verry little equipment its a case of how comforatible do you want to be.

C
CCH Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
I know nothing about sheep hunting other than what I've read (and mainly here) and one trip with a friend with an archer tag, but if you [/i]can[i] be comfortable, take advantage of it. Should make you fresher for the hunting part which isn't going to be easy, especially with a bow.

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
you should consider getting the tipi without the stove if you really need to save bucks. the six man sure is nice but i dont know how far you have to haul it. which would be the only reason for a four man. make sure there is wood to burn or you may pack a stove for nothing.
what ever- just go. ditto on the coulda, shoulda --------

IC B3

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
RackMaster,

Here ya go: GoLite Shangra-La 5 Shelter for $279USD shipped!! (until the 21st). This is a great company to deal with too.

MtnHtr

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
WOW....thats a heck of a deal on a Shanga-La 5...

I really should be looking at doing this with a stove. One thing I've heard about the Shangra-La is the ability to have it pitched tight to the ground is sometimes a bit tough? Any comments on that?

Also, any comments on the Shagra-La with stove without a liner for really cold temps? Will the absense of a liner make much of a difference?

This could be a very good solution!

C
CCH Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
The absence of a liner is no different from that of any other floorless shelter.

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Shangri-La 5 ordered today from Basegear.

I had a hard time deciding between the yellow color and the green one, but in the end went with the subtle green rather than the brighter/flashy yellow.

Either way, I'm excited on the new project!

E
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
E
Trev,

The SL's stake pretty tight. They aren't as snug as the oval design if a Kifaru or Ti Goat. Hardcore add a bunch of extra peg loops but I don't think its really necessary. If you have snow you can create an almost airtight seal.

I haven't made liners yet for my SL's and probably wouldn't take it on a sheep hunt if I had.

Ed T

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Thanks Ed.

I was going to wait and hear from you on the other option of tipi we talked about, but I knew I didnt want to miss the sale price on the SL5 anyways.

I think this tipi, a few little mods, and a cylinder stove and I'll be set!

C
CCH Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
You're off to a great start. I don't think you'll be disappointed with that Golite.

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
The key here Trev is to get your ram on day # 1 than we will never need the tipi & stove. wink JK, sounds like you have things all figured out.

Last edited by Duk Dog; 05/22/10.
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Duk Dog
The key here Trev is to get your ram on day # 1 than we will never need the tipi & stove. wink JK, sounds like you have things all figured out.

No doubt Duk! That will work great if I just follow those simple instructions...heh

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

541 members (1lessdog, 1minute, 1badf350, 10ring1, 10gaugemag, 06hunter59, 59 invisible), 2,535 guests, and 1,154 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,782
Posts18,515,780
Members74,017
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.