Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
G
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
G
Gentlemen, I know there are some here that are very knowledgeable about guns and I would love to tap that if I could. I'm looking to replace the factory wood stock on my M700 .30/06 with the Bell & Carlson in the Cabela's fall catalog. The question I have is this. Is my .30/06 LA or SA? I know this should be pretty simple and I know I read it somewhere before, but can't remember. Any help would be appreciated......GH

GB1

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Long action. You can get a better stock(McMillan),for less.<P>Go to McMillan's website . Their Internet Specials page,often has many excellent deals on long action 700 stocks.<P>If you can't find what you like there,the KS and AWR stocks(both McMillan) are still going for $150. That is 100% drop-in,only requiring final bedding as all stocks do.<P>The Bell and Carlson offerings are nowhere near the quality,regarding both materials and fit/finish. As a rule,they are heavier as well. I have a couple,but they are definately several notches lower,in overall quality.........<BR><A HREF="http://http:www.mcmfamily.com" TARGET=_blank>McMillan homepage</A>

Brad says: "Can't fault Rick for his pity letting you back on the fire... but pity it was and remains. Nothing more, nothing less. A sad little man in a sad little dream."
G
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
G
Stick<P>Thanks for the reply. I thought it was Long Action at first, but then started second guessing my self and wondering if it was for magnums. You were one of the ones I hoped would offer me some help. Thanks, and I'll definately check out the McMillan's before I do any ordering.......GH

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
GH,<P>I just shot you an Email,hopefully I did it correctly and it made it..........

Brad says: "Can't fault Rick for his pity letting you back on the fire... but pity it was and remains. Nothing more, nothing less. A sad little man in a sad little dream."
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
GH<BR>Another poster here ordered one of those stocks and was so pleased with it he promptly replaced it. With a factory remington synthetic, no less.<P>It was UGLY!<BR>art

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
IC B2

E
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
E
I second Big Stick's recomendation. No way can Remington's factory synthetic, or a Bell & Carlson stock match the quality of a McMillian. The Bell & Carlson stock I had would only hold zero for about 10-15 rds. Then it would shift. Good luck, E.

J
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
J
B-Stick,<P>You keep mentioning KS and AWR stocks, are these on mcmillans website or sold womewhere else?<P>John

"If a little's good, a lot's better, and way too much is just right!"
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Somewhere else(grin)..........

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Okay, I'll take a guess. Are you talking about the Kevlar Stock and Alaskan Wilderness Rifle stocks as supplied by Remington? These are made for Remington by McMillan, I am not sure if you could get them direct from McMillan or not.<P>Check this link: <A HREF="http://www.remington.com/pdfs/m700parts.pdf" TARGET=_blank>http://www.remington.com/pdfs/m700parts.pdf</A> <P>It requires Adobe Acrobat to read but it is a complete parts list for Model 700 rifles.<BR>You can get any stock ever made by Remington from their parts department, even for some models they no longer produce. The true fiberglass ones are kind of expensive, though.

Gunnery, gunnery, gunnery.
Hit the target, all else is twaddle!
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I'd like to take a gander at the new walking varminter lam. stocks Midway has in the new catalogue. If they're close to the M700 lam. varminter stocks, I'd probably like to have one. Since the first time I shouldered the M700 lam. varminter, I've been wantin' one of them stocks.

If three or more people think you're a dimwit, chances are at least one of them is right.
IC B3

L
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
L
HS Precision makes stocks for model 700's. I hear they are very nice, although I haven't owned one myself. They are a bit more $$$ than the B&C or McMillian. <P>Had to settle for a Bell & Carlson for my Weatherby Vangaurd because I couldn't find anything from McMillian or HS that would fit it. [img]images/icons/frown.gif" border="0[/img]

You see in this world, there's two kinds of people my friend; those with loaded guns, and those who dig. You dig.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
McMillan makes a stock called the Vanguard,for the Vanguard.<BR>In fact,there are very few applications,they can't fulfill.........<P><BR><A HREF="http://www.mcmfamily.com/mfsinc_n/weather.html" TARGET=_blank>Wby Vanguard (McMillan)</A>

L
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
L
Thanks <B>Big Stick</B>, Guess I should have checked the website before buying the stock I have now. [img]images/icons/frown.gif" border="0[/img] I only looked at the various catalogs (Cabela's, Redhead, Midsouth, ect) and didn't find one there so I assumed there wasn't one available. I know....when you assume..... But, if I don't like the Bell & Carlson when it gets back from the gunsmith, then I might check out the McMillians or Elk Ridge Custom Stocks.

You see in this world, there's two kinds of people my friend; those with loaded guns, and those who dig. You dig.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
The McMillan line is so in depth,that nobody catalogs all of their offerings. To see what they have,you have to thumb through a McMillan catalog or visit their site. I'm a huge McMillan fan,because I think they are the best and they have a huge variety of styles and are flexible in their capabilities.<P>That being said,I must say that Elk Ridge makes some damn nice stocks and I like their variety of color schemes. A friend has several of their blue/grey laminates on SS Winchester Classics. That combo makes for beautiful rifle,in my opinion. I'm pretty hot on that color. Elk Ridge has a pretty good site,I'm guessing you've seen it?.......

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

540 members (12344mag, 219 Wasp, 1_deuce, 160user, 204guy, 17CalFan, 50 invisible), 11,253 guests, and 1,242 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,195,241
Posts18,544,303
Members74,060
Most Online21,066
May 26th, 2024

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.