Hop To
#4125686 05/29/10
O
osix Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
O
Looking to buy a GPS purely for hunting.
Don't really know a great deal about them, would appreciate recommendations and comments.
Thank you.

GB1

G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
I like the Garmin GPS 60csx. With all the software available, the uses are virtually limitless. It's more than needed, but the back lit color screen is nice. The tracking and waypoint modes are great. I've had one for a few years, and it has been a great unit.

This is God's universe, and he has a plan. You might think that you have aa better plan, but you don't have a universe.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by goose2044
I like the Garmin GPS 60csx. With all the software available, the uses are virtually limitless. It's more than needed, but the back lit color screen is nice. The tracking and waypoint modes are great. I've had one for a few years, and it has been a great unit.

In the same vein, also look at the Garmin 76cx, it has (for me) a little easier to hold setup, and may be a little cheaper than the 60cx, depending on sales.

c stands for color display, and the x indicates expandable memory.

Sycamore

Originally Posted by jorgeI
...Actually Sycamore, you are sort of right....
S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
I have the Garmin gecko 301. Easy & works great.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I picked up a Garmin Summit HC for $99 on clearance at Academy last October. It works great under heavy canopy. If you don't need a ton of maps any of the H Garmins work well. I do appreciate the digital compass.

<<<<<<<<<<<SPACE FOR RENT>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
IC B2

M
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
M
For Memorial Day Sales--Cabelas and REI both have the Garmin 60CSx on sale for about $200 give or take--about half previous price. I bought one about 1 1/2 years back and like it very well.

P
pjf Offline
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
P
I have a Garmin Dakota 20 GPS unit. It is compact with a 4 inch length. Compared to the eTrex, it has a larger 2.6� screen, a 3-axis compass, and a touch capability instead of buttons. With a topographical map DVD, USB cable, lanyard and case, the Dakota 20 �Topo Bundle� retails between $300 and $400.

I used my Dakota for the first time last fall for a snowshoe trek to a 10th Mountain Division Hut near Vail Pass. Waypoints can be entered directly into the Dakota or via a computer download. I entered the coordinates for the hut via the Dakota�s touch screen. Using my computer and the supplied DVD, I defined additional waypoints along the trail. The topographical map of the Vail Pass area with waypoints was then downloaded to the Dakota. The standard USB cable supplies power to the Dakota during the downloading process. The Garmin software was intuitive. Pointing and clicking were all that were needed to define the additional waypoints and to download the map.

My daughter and I were nervous about this trek because we attempted the same trek the previous spring when a snowstorm forced us back. While the storm was relatively mild, the lack of visibility kept us from finding our way. This time, I was confident that with a GPS unit, we can reach our destination despite the weather.

During the trek, the neck lanyard held the Dakota within easy reach and allowed me to view the GPS unit periodically as we progressed to the hut. The Dakota�s touch screen could be operated through the plastic window of the case. Although the weather was cold, the two AA lithium batteries that I inserted into the Dakota never faltered. The battery life is supposed to be 20 hours.

Predictions of inclement weather preceded our trek. The Dakota kept us on the trail. Of nine persons who purchased reservations for the hut, only 3 reached the destination, including my daughter and me. If you are looking for a compact hiking GPS unit with the latest features, I highly recommend the Garmin Dakota 20.

For those leery of touchscreens being scratched, transparent protective films made by Zagg may provide the solution. I've just installed a Zagg "Invisible Shield" (http://www.zagg.com/invisibleshield...reen-protectors-covers-skins-shields.php) over the touchscreen of my Dakota 20. The film comes cut-to-fit and does not appear to dull the sensitivity of the touchscreen.

To protect the Dakota from a fall, I added a Garmin "Silicone Skin" (https://buy.garmin.com/shop/shop.do?pID=38256#productTab) and discarded the slip case. Everything fits together securely and tastefully.

Last edited by pjf; 05/29/10.
C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
Thanks pjf. Great write up. Did you have it out in wet conditions? Curious how it fends water.

P
pjf Offline
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
P
Garmin advertises the Dakota as waterproof. I tested its water resistance when I applied a protective film over the touch screen. The film adhesion requires wetting the touch screen and the moisture has not affected the GPS unit�s operations at all.

The touch screen replaces every button except for a pressure-sensitive on-off button that appears to be well-sealed. This eliminates a lot of avenues for water to enter the unit. The USB port is covered with a thick rubber flap and the battery compartment has deep grooves to accept a secure fitting cover. The unit appears durable and able to survive wet weather.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I picked this up yesterday for $220 + tax. One of the best deals out there.

http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/templates/links/link.jsp;jsessionid=SY1OMUR1DWCB5LAQBBJCCOVMCAEFGIWE?id=0036479229052a&type=product&cmCat=froogle&cm_ven=data_feed&cm_cat=froogle&cm_pla=1311301&cm_ite=0036479229052a&_requestid=4417

I was ANTI-OBAMA before it was CooL
IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Idaho_Elk_Huntr
I picked this up yesterday for $220 + tax. One of the best deals out there.

http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/templates/links/link.jsp;jsessionid=SY1OMUR1DWCB5LAQBBJCCOVMCAEFGIWE?id=0036479229052a&type=product&cmCat=froogle&cm_ven=data_feed&cm_cat=froogle&cm_pla=1311301&cm_ite=0036479229052a&_requestid=4417

Garmin 60csx at Cabelas

Link fixed.

Otto is my co-pilot.
D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
I've been happy with my Lowrance iHunt C, with enhanced mapping uploaded from the disc set, it would track even faint sand roads in an area above Rawlins. The color screen is nice and helps to see details in low light. I'm not good enough to use all the features, but it works well for what I'm doing.

Golden............
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I've had a few basic ones, currently still using a Magellan Explorer and a few friends have it based upon my recommendation.

Works very well, no frills and fairly compact.

If you go with a lower end model, or really no matter what model you use make sure it has an electronic compass. Some of the very basic ones, especially in years passed don't have it and than you have to be moving to get a reading.

Life is just one damned thing after another
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Calvin
Thanks pjf. Great write up. Did you have it out in wet conditions? Curious how it fends water.

I had a Garmin gps 12 and a Garmin fishfinder that were touted as waterproof.

They were.

I used them for years on my boat and NEVER had a problem with water. I currently have a Garmin Legend cx gps and have absolute faith in all their products.

fish head

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

516 members (007FJ, 1beaver_shooter, 1OntarioJim, 219 Wasp, 1badf350, 219DW, 55 invisible), 2,387 guests, and 1,181 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,801
Posts18,496,314
Members73,977
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.